Stupid people=stupid news

hatcity

A local man was uninjured after driving his grapple truck with the boom in the air, and getting entangled in power lines Monday

post-4436-0-23073100-1332241877_thumb.jp

The driver remained in the cab until FPL crews arrived and disconnected power. The driver then had to manuever the boom to get disentangled since power crews could not get close enough.

Only apparent damage was several blown tires, including one blown completely off the rim

post-4436-0-79026500-1332242064_thumb.jp

Further inspection showed all tires in contact at the time were damaged and have to be replaced.

the company owner did not comment except to say "the driver has been suspended"

i knew it looked like hatcitys truck!!! good thing your ok. but why did you call yourself stupid? everybody makes mistakes,

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

There are "mistakes" and then there are "STUPID MISTAKES".

A mistake is not looking where you walk and tripping.

A stupid mistake is not looking where you are walking and falling into a gator pit.

One allows you to get up and wipe yourself off and say "Gee, I better watch where I'm going". The second, if you're lucky enough to escape, allows you the same. But the odds are pretty slim.

Hat just had a "stupid mistake" moment and was very lucky to walk away.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

We all have them from time to time. just well probably a month or 2 ago maybe 3. something I do on occaision is separate the axle from the spreader bar. Idk what I was thinking I took the top pins out and as I watched it roll back I realized hey the damn lines are still hooked. so a couple of brass fittings later and reconnect the plug to the wires so I had brake and turn signals. I felt like a jackass. Shit happens he just got lucky

We all have them from time to time. just well probably a month or 2 ago maybe 3. something I do on occaision is separate the axle from the spreader bar. Idk what I was thinking I took the top pins out and as I watched it roll back I realized hey the damn lines are still hooked. so a couple of brass fittings later and reconnect the plug to the wires so I had brake and turn signals. I felt like a jackass. Shit happens he just got lucky

How many times have you pulled the neck without unhooking the air lines? My stupid move is to unlatch a tailgate without unhooking the safty chain. Feel like a fool when you go get a machine (or something to back into) to push the tailgate closed.

In another month or two, I'll be able to afford to make a stupid mistake...carrier I'm leased to is making us buy occupational accident coverage. Up until now, my "insurance" was paying attention to what I was doing so that I wouldn't get hurt.

Hell, I'm the kind of person who could be in a friggin' body cast and still not miss any work...especially now that it is my truck.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Glad you're okay were smart enough to prevent a bad situation from getting worse. You'll have to try harder than that if you really want to earn the "stupid" title.

I don't think the mistake was "stupid". Complacent; yes, 100% true. Probably done that same manuever over 100 times in the past so took to the task of moving the truck oblivous, or neglecting to check surroundings.

It's unfortunate that complacency is a killer also. Been more industrial accidents in the skilled trades resulting in maiming, and fatalities attributed to complacency than what we loosely refer to as "stupid".

This incident should serve as a very powerful lesson to anyone exposed as there was no injuries except to pride and that will recover. That is unless I can be there cause I would chastize, criticize, ridicule, mock, and otherwise have a bit of fun as a result of the situation.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I ain't saying nuthin but "glad you're OK Ed". I've known of 2 people who were killed when they raised a dump body into power lines, one was my late wife's brother and the other was a guy I went to school with in Cumberland, Va.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I don't think the mistake was "stupid". Complacent; yes, 100% true. Probably done that same manuever over 100 times in the past so took to the task of moving the truck oblivous, or neglecting to check surroundings.

It's unfortunate that complacency is a killer also. Been more industrial accidents in the skilled trades resulting in maiming, and fatalities attributed to complacency than what we loosely refer to as "stupid".

This incident should serve as a very powerful lesson to anyone exposed as there was no injuries except to pride and that will recover. That is unless I can be there cause I would chastize, criticize, ridicule, mock, and otherwise have a bit of fun as a result of the situation.

Rob

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I ain't saying nuthin but "glad you're OK Ed". I've known of 2 people who were killed when they raised a dump body into power lines, one was my late wife's brother and the other was a guy I went to school with in Cumberland, Va.

Was almost me once installing high voltage lines in a hole with two coworkers. I went to get cold drinks from the truck and someone "lit it up" by throwing the wrong disconnect while I was gone.

"Why not me too" I asked myself for a lot of years.

Don't take this shit lightly; EVER.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob

...so you're saying when I have electrical work to do here at the house, I should cut power first? I've always just worked with the wires hot...whether I was swapping old outlets for new ones, replacing switches, installing lights, or whatever else I might need to do. I always thought it was too bothersom resetting all of my clocks after I tried figuring out which circuit needed to be cut in order to do the work...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

...so you're saying when I have electrical work to do here at the house, I should cut power first? I've always just worked with the wires hot...whether I was swapping old outlets for new ones, replacing switches, installing lights, or whatever else I might need to do. I always thought it was too bothersom resetting all of my clocks after I tried figuring out which circuit needed to be cut in order to do the work...

It is what I would do.

Rob

For motor vehicle electrical work I keep a case of this around, it's a cheaper brand than the Mack or Mopar part but works well. . . Paul

post-3242-0-92309000-1332554812.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Was almost me once installing high voltage lines in a hole with two coworkers. I went to get cold drinks from the truck and someone "lit it up" by throwing the wrong disconnect while I was gone.

"Why not me too" I asked myself for a lot of years.

Rob

It seems at least once a year there is a news report of a local logger that gets complacent when its time to throw the wrappers around his/her load before entering the public roadway and doesnt see the power lines and gets fried. Lifes short, pay attention. Glad you are ok Hatcity.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Like complacency, anger can also be a dangerous distraction. I made a rookie-truck-driving-101mistake this week which although very minor (tried to pull a trailer with landing gear down) I was pissed off and strayed from my set routine of hooking and pre-tripping a trailer.

A worse scenario would have been neglecting to visually inspect the fifth wheel to see that the kingpin was secure, only to lose the trailer on an interstate and wipe out a school bus. It can happen just as easily.

I'll start a thread titled "My company's new tire changing policy" which will explain my frustration.

Jim

no doubt, things happen, and they can happen to anyone. I dropped a load of structural steel where they were building the new middle school in Appomattox one fine Friday. All I had to do was drop the trailer and bobtail a mile or so to the shop, and I was done for the week. I spotted the trailer, wound the landing gear legs down, unhooked the 5th. wheel, and took off.

It's really amazing just how far those plastic air hoses will stretch when you forget to unhook them.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

no doubt, things happen, and they can happen to anyone. I dropped a load of structural steel where they were building the new middle school in Appomattox one fine Friday. All I had to do was drop the trailer and bobtail a mile or so to the shop, and I was done for the week. I spotted the trailer, wound the landing gear legs down, unhooked the 5th. wheel, and took off.

It's really amazing just how far those plastic air hoses will stretch when you forget to unhook them.

I broke the back glass out of a IHC tractor when I did the same thing - I feel your pain..........

I broke the back glass out of a IHC tractor when I did the same thing - I feel your pain..........

Yeah, well I took three panes of the rear slider out in Crusty with a 22" truck rim!! After dismounting the tires I was tossing the rims into the bed to drop off at the blaster. Low and behold the rim bounce off one already in there and careened into the back glass. It was summertime so after cleaning up at least two million little shards of glass, I was on my merry way.

Rob

Yeah, well I took three panes of the rear slider out in Crusty with a 22" truck rim!! After dismounting the tires I was tossing the rims into the bed to drop off at the blaster. Low and behold the rim bounce off one already in there and careened into the back glass. It was summertime so after cleaning up at least two million little shards of glass, I was on my merry way.

Rob

Did you take the rainbow pony tail holder out and let your hair ride the wind?

• Like 1