3406 cat b model

Jamied625

I have a 3406b that has a fresh rebuilt that is in a ford ltl 9000 the truck is totaled so i have a b63 would this motor fit in the truck i know that motor has a charge air cooler on it that would have to be re configured. has anyone ever tried this or know anyone who has. what does everyone think would it fit, I think it would be a awesome truck seeing as I have the motor laying around.

Sounds like a cool project, I am pretty sure you have to put a stronger tranny and mayber differentials? I will let Rob or someone else much smarter than me get into the specifics.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Don't know about smarter but I don't think it will fit and allow you to retain stock configuation and look. That engine is quite a bit longer than a Mack engine. If you set the cab further back and use a B70 series front I'm certain you could get by but in the stock configuation, I just don't see it fitting in there. The stock radiator will have trouble keeping it cool at working temperature also.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Don't know about smarter but I don't think it will fit and allow you to retain stock configuation and look. That engine is quite a bit longer than a Mack engine. If you set the cab further back and use a B70 series front I'm certain you could get by but in the stock configuation, I just don't see it fitting in there. The stock radiator will have trouble keeping it cool at working temperature also.

Rob

I think that the radiator could cool it with a couple extra rows of tubes and how much longer is it than a mack motor? could i notch the fire wall to gain what i need to in length?

Jamie

This was at the ATHS show in Winchester Va last year, factory Cat with longer hood and filler panels between rad and fenders. Same extended nose parts as the B model Fire chassis with the Hall Scott power plants I was told. Some body on here had extra sheet metal for the nose too.

longnosecuminsb_118.jpg

gallery_2_6_866140.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

This was at the ATHS show in Winchester Va last year, factory Cat with longer hood and filler panels between rad and fenders. Same extended nose parts as the B model Fire chassis with the Hall Scott power plants I was told. Some body on here had extra sheet metal for the nose too. longnosecuminsb_118.jpggallery_2_6_866140.jpg
That B71 truck has an NH220 Cummins and that engine is physically smaller than a 3406. I have photos of the underhood I'll find.

Thought I had better than these.

Rob

post-78-0-14428200-1331660710_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-63025300-1331660713_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-20095700-1331660717_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-31011800-1331660720_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The longer hood and filler panels are factory Mack parts. I'm pretty sure have a pic I just have to find where it is, but I'm sure it was a 3406 Cat, he has Cat powered badges all over it. Course my kids say I'm wrong so it's possible I am..........

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The longer hood and filler panels are factory Mack parts. I'm pretty sure have a pic I just have to find where it is, but I'm sure it was a 3406 Cat, he has Cat powered badges all over it. Course my kids say I'm wrong so it's possible I am..........

Under the front bumper are Cummins Iron Crosses.

Rob

Sorry, but I do not acknowledge the existence Cummins , Peterbilts or Kenworths in this dimension..... even though theres one of THEM in it :whistling: :whistling:

P.T.CHESHIRE

This is a B-71 with factory 220 Cummins.The B-21 fire truck hade the 400 Hall-Scott with same front end .Check lenths at a Cummins dealer of the 743 cid and 855 engines also check widths to see if would all fit down in frame.It should do because of flare in rails in engine compartment .Bob D

Either way, I would think the longer nose would mean less intrusion into the drivers area.Yes? Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

the 220 cummins has a length of about 57" where the cat is about 65" how tight is that 220 cummins in there?
Very cramped from my dissapating yet evenly dispersed memory cells.

Rob

You can do like they did in those old Ford trucks with the early 3406 cats - lay them over on their side a few degrees like a slant six Chrysler - I bet you still won't have the room.

(everyone keep saying it can't be done - till he gets pissed off and decides he is going to prove us wrong and just make it fit - where there is a pissed off will, there is a way!)

• Like 2

You can do like they did in those old Ford trucks with the early 3406 cats - lay them over on their side a few degrees like a slant six Chrysler - I bet you still won't have the room.

(everyone keep saying it can't be done - till he gets pissed off and decides he is going to prove us wrong and just make it fit - where there is a pissed off will, there is a way!)

o i know there is a way i was just hoping that someone else had tried it and had pictures!!