3406 cat b model

Jamied625

Well,,,I aint never done it, and prolly never will, however, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I think you can do it, just get to getting it. You have my support, all except the financial part. randyp

Did you give him your immoral support?

I have all the B71 pieces, hood, radiator shell, headlight panels, fender panels, radiator support, bumper extensions. Pm me.

It will be tight near the steering box,and the turbo. Wrong truck for that engine, just my .02

FW

Steering box will not be in the way but turbo may have to be placed on top. Here is anothe problem. I have seen this done with a cummins in the B 71 but the fan has to be so amall to go in between the rad frame that it is a problem to keep cool. I have a hi HP mack in a B 61 that i installed a fan and clutch from a later model plus i move the cab forward so there would be room for the fan and clutch plus i built a metal shroud for the fan. When pulling hard even withe the fender panels off the fan is almost to loud to think.The fan is not long enough to cool prperly. The fan i have now is a eight blade fan but when the clutch is locked up it roars.I moved cab forward and raised it about four inches so there would be room for the air to pass thru the rad and around the engine and out from under trhe cab and it just does cool enough.That is going to be a problem with a cat engine but dont think it will go in there. Check with a tap from the fire wall to the rad frame and i think the cat is going to be full house.

glenn akers

I have a 3406b that has a fresh rebuilt that is in a ford ltl 9000 the truck is totaled so i have a b63 would this motor fit in the truck i know that motor has a charge air cooler on it that would have to be re configured. has anyone ever tried this or know anyone who has. what does everyone think would it fit, I think it would be a awesome truck seeing as I have the motor laying around.

With a bushel basket of money and a lot of time, anything is possible. Instead of bastardizing a Mack, if I had a good 3406 and a good 13 speed RR, I would find another Ford with a bad engine and swap it out- or any chassis that readily accepts the 3406.

My biggest concern would be its not going to fit without a lot of mods and in any case, throw the radiator shell away because there is no way that stock radiator will cool that 3406.

• Like 1

Ok, This could be done, although It would be easier to install it in another chassis for sure, R700 or superliner comes to mind. anyways, first on the list is to move the cab back basiclly making it into a b73/75 configuration. To address the radiator issue using a later b73/75 alum. radiator and headlamp parts would take care of the hood width and cooling issues. The extra few inches need for the difference between the cat and the cummins could be fudged between engine placement and firewall massageing (read sledge hammer) or set the cab back farther and make your own hood. I have seen a b75 that has a detroit 60 series in it, I think its johndeere colors also, or at least yellow. Very long hood indeed. Lots of steering box mods also, I guess you could adapt and new power steering box and column while you are at it, posibily a first generation superliner front axle steering box combo. Not a chore for the faint of heart or pocket book!

Morgan

15 gears...no waiting!

What is that chain for?

On startup it could be used to release the compression from the cylinders to make turning over easier saving wear and tear on the starter and batteries. It helped out good especially in colder weather. On the older older cummins (i think in the 50s) before the electric fuel cutoff soleniod it came out on the pumps they were used to shut off the engine.