Exothermic torch help

Olivetroad

I remove a lot of digger derrick and bucket truck booms from trucks and I am also always having to cut out worn log loader pins and bushings for repair.

A fireman buddy of mine said I need to get a exothermic torch to cut the center of the pins out.

How do they work?

Anyone out there own one and what brand do you recommend?

I have been well experienced with my Arkansas hot wrench and my plasma cutter for years, but I know nothing about one of these.

I remove a lot of digger derrick and bucket truck booms from trucks and I am also always having to cut out worn log loader pins and bushings for repair.

A fireman buddy of mine said I need to get a exothermic torch to cut the center of the pins out.

How do they work?

I have been well experienced with my Arkansas hot wrench and my plasma cutter for years, but I know nothing about one of these.

I think he may be fuckin with you. Exothermic means heat. Like a catalyzing solution gets hot as it cures. A torch by very nature is exothermic in action the way it is used to impart heat into another surface.

A good way to get stuck pins out is to weld a good hot bead onto the parent surface the pin pushes through. This will expand the bore and the pin can usually be driven out either hydraulically, or with another pin and sledgehammer. This is the way we did end loader and excavator buckets and pivot points. Grind the weldment flat when apart.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Miller's trade name for that was "Arc-Air". Modern plasma has mainly displaced this method. I used to cut fillet welds to separate panels from structural members and blowing frame rivets using this method. It is very much like arc welding with a stick welder as the electrode is consumable. It does work very well but an angular plasma torch does as well with no consumable electrodes.

I've never heard the process referred to as an "exothermic torch". Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Miller's trade name for that was "Arc-Air". Modern plasma has mainly displaced this method. I used to cut fillet welds to separate panels from structural members and blowing frame rivets using this method. It is very much like arc welding with a stick welder as the electrode is consumable. It does work very well but an angular plasma torch does as well with no consumable electrodes.

I've never heard the process referred to as an "exothermic torch". Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Rob

The problem I have with my plasma torch is cutting rusty or real thick steel like dragline buckets and cast/other metals. I would gladly pay for one of these if it will cut up the pile of crane counterweights I have around back.

That link Hatcity posted talks about it punching through concrete - I need to check and see what the consumables cost.

The problem I have with my plasma torch is cutting rusty or real thick steel like dragline buckets and cast/other metals. I would gladly pay for one of these if it will cut up the pile of crane counterweights I have around back.

That link Hatcity posted talks about it punching through concrete - I need to check and see what the consumables cost.

How large of plasma power supply do you have? How large of weights are you looking to sever? A 400 ampere 100% duty cycle dc welding power source and an air line with an "Arc-Air" torch makes one hell of a cutting unit.

Rob

Or you could get one of these- the torch this guy is using is about 5 or 6 feet long, and is capable of cutting the rings off these mill rolls, so a counter weight shouldn't be a problem. They've had the fire department called more than a few times, especially when they do this at night. The folks around there think the whole place is on fire.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Here are the consumable electrodes type to use. Don't try to "pierce" a fresh hole with one of these things in thick material.

Rob

A good way to get stuck pins out is to weld a good hot bead onto the parent surface the pin pushes through. This will expand the bore and the pin can be driven out with another pin and sledgehammer. This is the way we did end loader and excavator buckets and pivot points. I always hold the sledgehammer and let Jamie hold the pin.

Rob

good thinkin'.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

How do they work?

Exothermic is a silly name for a torch, its like saying you need a very hot torch. Duh! We know the burning of fuel produces heat energy.

What he is probably referring to is called a thermal lance (also known as a: thermic lance, oxygen lance or burning bar). Its nothing more than an iron tube or pipe packed with thin iron rods/wire. Sometimes thay add aluminum or magnesium to increase the temperature. One end is screwed onto a valve that has a hose which hooks to an oxygen tank. You open the valve and light the open end of the pipe with a oxy-acetylene torch (or any other super hot heat source like the arc from a stick welder. Burns hotter than hell, upward of 8000 degrees which is hot enough to melt tungsten. The only thing is those are better for cutting something that is scrap or about to be scrap. Your going to destroy the bore if you attempt to cut through it using one. They are used mainly for demo jobs or cutting really big things apart.

You can make your own thermal lances using nothing more than iron tube/pipe and iron rods. Just cut lengths of wire/rod the length of your tube and start filling it up. Then turn the oxygen on and light with a torch or arc welder. Add some aluminum welding wire for more oomph. Just try to make sure you dont let the tube burn too close to you or destroy the valve.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 2 weeks later...

I recently used arc-air's exothermic cutting system ("Slice"). Not real impressed with performance v/s price. When the electrodes are new and long not enough oxygen flow. Electrodes consume very fast. Best cutting was last 6 inches of electrode. Our company bought it for removing pins on digger derricks and other equipment. I tried it on an outrigger cyl. Pin about 1 1/4" x 6" it made it through but used several electrodes. Definately better than gas torch but very costly and a river of slag that needs to be controlled.

Chuck

I recently used arc-air's exothermic cutting system ("Slice"). Not real impressed with performance v/s price. When the electrodes are new and long not enough oxygen flow. Electrodes consume very fast. Best cutting was last 6 inches of electrode. Our company bought it for removing pins on digger derricks and other equipment. I tried it on an outrigger cyl. Pin about 1 1/4" x 6" it made it through but used several electrodes. Definately better than gas torch but very costly and a river of slag that needs to be controlled.

Chuck

This is true an that slag is very hot and flies out with a lot of force that will attach and melt itself to items quite far away. The electrodes have always been the expensive part. I've never used oxygen, just shop air regulated at about 100 psi to sever most any thickness. The process works very well for burning out fillet welds and when the machine is adjusted correctly with the right electrode, you can blow the weld clean and not destroy the baseplate material.

Rob

I used a lance one time as a young lad, better wear protective fire suit. Better wear ear plugs with that dern Air Arc too. Wear safety glasses at all times. Brush your teeth at least once a week, say your prayers every night, and bathe every saturday,,,,randyp

Chuck

Chuck - That is the exact brand I am close to buying. And I need it to use on the same thing - boom pins, seized outrigger pins, four inch thick turrent bases and so on. Thanks for the input.

Rob, not sure if we are talking the same product. I own an Arc-Air gouging torch. Yes they work great for removing welds. They use copper plated carbon electrodes and shop air. The "slice" system uses a electrode with magnesium that is rolled like a roll pin so its hollow. It requires oxygen and you strike the are with 12V on a stricker plate to "light" the torch.

Rob, not sure if we are talking the same product. I own an Arc-Air gouging torch. Yes they work great for removing welds. They use copper plated carbon electrodes and shop air. The "slice" system uses a electrode with magnesium that is rolled like a roll pin so its hollow. It requires oxygen and you strike the are with 12V on a stricker plate to "light" the torch.

You are correct. I remember a guy having the magnesium electrodes and it was quite expensive in consumables to use. I never tried it but one of my welders was not really impressed. It was a "Miller" brand so did not purchase the system.

I instead purchased a new Miller plasma for the shop which fit all of our needs. I don't typically do salvage type work so sold off the air-air system also.

Rob

Chuck - That is the exact brand I am close to buying. And I need it to use on the same thing - boom pins, seized outrigger pins, four inch thick turrent bases and so on. Thanks for the input.

I had a digger with cyl pins siezed in the turret that I was going to send out for repairs. Thats when our regional office sent out the slice torch. Since I had never used one I decided to try it on an outrigger. I'd rather destroy an outrigger than a turret. After using it I was glad I chose that. In the future if I were to use it on a turret I would put a sheet of steel from the turret to over the edge of the truck to get rid of the slag. The slag flows more like a river not just the shower of hot sparks.

Chuck

When I was a career firefighter, we had a slice pack on our heavy rescue, I was never impressed with it at all. Later on the powers bought us a PETROGEN torch set. which uses gasoline and oxygen- and this thing kicked some serious ass. I nevr got to use it at an actual incident, just during training- I was amazed at the speed and efficiency it could cut through a piece of railroad track. Check out this video: (oh, and they are made in the USA!!!!!)

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

• 2 weeks later...

About a dozen years ago I discovered a "Pin Torch " that Cat sold. It consistes of a handle with a collet and a welding lead and inside it has a valve that is used like a cutting torch valve. It has a hose that is hooked to an oxygen tank. The rods can be bought in varous diameters and lengths and are held into the torch by a collet. they are steel tubes filled with steel and Magnesium? rods. It come with a striker plate that is serrated copper . You connect the torch to one lead of your welder and the striker plate to the other. To start it you strike the end of the rod across the striker plate and squeeze the Oxygen trigger . the end of the rod lights and you can burn a hole through the center of the pin that you want out. this super heats the pin all the way through and when it cools and contracts you can usually knock the pin out with a light tap. Yes it is expensive but I found the rods at Fastenal in bulk for about 1/3 of what mother Caterpillar wants for them. Yes there is a lot of slag flow and sparks as it pushes everything out the entrance to your hole , but it sure does the job!!