Newbie needs some info on old mack B-61's

Hello all new here and just signed up to try and gain a little insight and info on some Mack trucks. First off I know nothing about trucks. A friend and I do some junk hauling on the side and we bid on a cleanup job. Included in what we got is 4 (well more like 3 1/2) Mack trucks I believe to be all B-61's One is only a cab with tranny still attached. 1 is a day cab with single axle drive train minus doghouse. 1 is complete daycab single axle with drivetrain and the 4th is complete tandem axle road cab (sleeper) truck. The trucks are what I would call very rough but almost seems a shame to just scrap them when I know some people are really into these. I guess my question is, is there anything I need to look for parts wise that I can pull or are the trucks as a whole worth more than scrap prices. I know you guys will want to see pics but I don't have any right at the moment. I just bought them today and didn't have a camera on me. Thanks for your time and any info on what I should be looking for will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Adam

Best thing you can do is post pics.Location and time frame for removal can sometimes be a big factor.Most of us in here hate to see old Macks go to scrap,so hopefully your pics will generate some interest.The sleeper cab for sure should be saved,as well as the complete single axle truck.I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble getting at least the same as you would by scrapping them.

Went out this morning and took a few pictures. Way to wet to remove the trucks at the moment gonna have to wait for a hard freeze and most likely take in a large piece of equipment to get them freed up. Any info on these trucks would be helpful thanks a few more pics coming also

post-10474-0-78473500-1327196198_thumb.j

post-10474-0-31138200-1327196216_thumb.j

Edited by Bowfisher35

I have no idea? Didn't take a real good look today since we was trying to move them. I don't know really anything about trucks at all just looking for info on what if anything can be saved. Hate to see anything go to scrap that can be saved to help someone else (and help me make a few bucks of course lol) Not even really sure on where to start with these on what's usable and what's not. There pretty rusted and been sitting in this spot for over 20 years. I don't know what parts are readily available and which can be harder to get and be worth someones time to restore?

pretty nice set of parts there, few turbo air cleaners and the single axle truck looks pretty solid. has the old school riker muffler on it by the looks of it. sleeper cab b model is worth it no matter how rough it is, looks to be a 52 54 or 55 truck with the radio delete plate in the dash. also looks like it has a straight 5 with a 3 speed auxillary in it, kinda old fashioned before the ''married'' boxes got popular.the green truck cab looks pretty solid and the red one has some good parts on it even tho it looks pretty rotted, Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I have looked for the sleeper truck on line and can't find much or really anything on it. Does anyone know a yr or model? Are these more rare? Any real value? It does have an inline engine but the engine has been taken apart the head is missing and sitting in the open. These trucks was nearly grown over with vines before the pics

Edited by Bowfisher35

Yes the sleeper cab is an early one with the windows on the sides earlier part of the 1950's, and they are pretty rare BUT dont think they are like $5,000 trucks unless the whole trucks complete and in real nice shape. We saved one like it for $1,000. But it depends on where and all that to get a value. It should be saved. It looks and at the same time doesnt look like an integral sleeper. Can you post some more close up pictures of it? Open the pass door , look at the bottom part and ger the VIN number , that will nail it down for sure on the year and so on.

Where are you located?

You found something of some significance here! the sleeper truck is not the run of the mill integral sleeper normally seen,but a factory installed add-on box. Definately worth saving! i cant remember even seeing one in person,so in my opinion this is quite a find! even in rough shape,it is worth restoring as they just dont exist anymore. All the trucks pictured have good useable parts,worth much more to us hobbiests than the junkman!................................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Good, not too far. I could use two of the air cleaners with hoods, and an internal heater unit boot that is rubber. It is for the larger style heater int the B cabs.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob I'm sure there will be parts available and I'll have lots of questions through this whole process on figuring out what's the best thing to do with these. I really need it to freeze up. we buried my buddies F-250 just pulling our trailer in there today so there not moving for a few days for sure lol. As of right now I'm thinking the red truck and the green one will be parts available trucks and the other two I may try to leave complete for new owners?