1964 B87 My Next Project

This is a 1964 B873SX1117 that my father brought new.At that time we had already had a 1958 B87 that was being used to pull our lowboy trailer around.I have decided to try and restore this animal.It is in running condition and at this time I would drive it cross country,not that it would be a comfortable ride.I will try and post some photos of it.Thanks for looking Mike Durkinpost-628-0-59686100-1321491108_thumb.jpgpost-628-0-98288300-1321491138_thumb.jpg

Here is alittle more infoemation on my B87.The motor is a Cummins NT335,with 65,000lbs rear,20,000lbs front axle.The weight of the truck is about 28,000lbs.To the best of my knowledge the truck has less than 250,000 miles on it.In 1983 we did a rebuild on the motor and at that time there was 146,134 miles on it.This truck was delivied on May 29 1964.It was in serviced daily for the next 20 years,at that time it was taken out of daily use when we brought a 1980 DM800,the other B87 was taken out of daily service back in 1975 when we brought our first of 2 DM800 both with the Mack V8 in them.This B87 was never taken much further than the city limits of Phia until we started to move out of the city for our work.I can remember taking the old dog on runs to Allentown,PA which was about a75 miles run.The only time I can recall it leaving the state was when we worked In Delaware and Maryland.The biggest problem with this truck was the mpg that it got.The truck carried only100 gallons of fuel,which would take us to Allentown and back.So when we ran to Maryland we always were looking for a fuel stop.This truck was the truck that I taught myself the fine art of backing up a trailer.The top speed is about 72mph and it doesn't take it all that long to get there.Thanks again Mike Durkin

A very nice looking truck! Could you post a picture of how the rear suspension bolts to the frame below the fifth wheel mount? I ask because I didn't have a chance to check out such a heavy susspension yet and it seems interesting. Thanks in advance, have a nice day

Pawel

I will get some pictures of the suspension today and post them tonight.The other B87 that we had,I think that Matt Phall has it to restore for a doctor.That truck is all orignal except for the cab,we replaced it back in the 80's with a concave cab.It make it alittle tough to drive if you are over 5'5" tall.The only difference between the two trucks is the early truck has a winch behind the cab.Both of them are triple frame and very heavy duty.I removed the front bumper from my truck and it must weigh the better part of 200lbs.

I have always thought that the B 80 series were among the best looking Macks ever built. Growing up in New England they were quite common and I didn't really appreciate them until I moved south where heavy duty trucks are much rarer.

I don't know if you have had the chance to attend Macungie yet, but if you do you will see several great examples of B 80s to emulate.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!