5 speed shift pattern question

xdudebrahx

alright to start off, im new here. have done a little bit of lurking here and there, but i had to ask this question. im driving an 86 r model with a 300 and a 5 speed with a low range stick. normally, i use low range to split first only when i need it, but i recently came across a youtube video of a guy using it to split 4th gear. ive never heard of anyone doing that, and i wanna know if its safe or normal to shift like that. heres the video to demonstrate what im talking about

you can use the low low 1,2,3,4, 5th then grab direct to get 6 total forward gears but you cant "split" any of the 5 gears. Some say only use low low with first but I have never seen a problem with using low low thru the first 3 gears to get the speed going before you get into direct. Do be carfull trying to downshift from direct to low low. its not as forgiving as downshifting the main stick.

Trent

i would love a shot at driving a 5+4. it seems like real "driving".

i saw that video and thought maybe it was just a secret technique or something. when im empty, i usually start in direct and go 2-5. if im loaded, i go direct 1-5. there are alot of places id love to be able to split 4th. when im leaving our plant loaded, i have to get right on a major highway and head directly uphill. i cant hit 5th until i crest the hill and hit the downgrade, and its such a pain in the ass to try to merge into 65+ mph traffic at like 40mph in 4th gear.

78 mack , 235 hp with a 5 speed , man i keep thinking i need to put a 2 speed rear end in it . The step from 4th to 5th gear is just to much . 2 speed rear would really help .

Ever consider a 12 speed Mack trans? real nice in a vocational truck ie;wrecker,dump etc. good solid ,trouble-free trans in my opinion......................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Any trans with more gears would be good , 8LL i think would be a great trans in there . None are a cheap option unless we were to puke a trans or atleast a clutch where you had to pull the trans to start with . Just to swap it out will cost me trans and labor . Cant do that type of wrenching any longer . Age sucks .

• Like 1

i would love a shot at driving a 5+4. it seems like real "driving".

i saw that video and thought maybe it was just a secret technique or something. when im empty, i usually start in direct and go 2-5. if im loaded, i go direct 1-5. there are alot of places id love to be able to split 4th. when im leaving our plant loaded, i have to get right on a major highway and head directly uphill. i cant hit 5th until i crest the hill and hit the downgrade, and its such a pain in the ass to try to merge into 65+ mph traffic at like 40mph in 4th gear.

heh,,we had this same discusion a while back,,i had one,and hated it,,,it wasnt made for any hills.bob

• 1 month later...

U have to be careful with how u shift those things for sure.... But to just confuse things futher our 1970 mack has a rare 5spd with a direct and overdrive on the left stick. The right stick is R 1-5. Hard to find and very hard to get parts for..

At least now I know I wasn't imagining something from my youth, as I went for a long trip in a day cab F model... It was either a 237 or 285 and he said it was a rare overdrive setup on the second stick, so he only used it in 5th. Even pulling 30 ton, it rarely needed a down change on the main box... Usually just into direct and it'd lumber over the longest of hill, albeit flat out at 54mph if over drive was selected on the long flat sections of road.

It also had a Jacobs engine brake... At least the switch was labelled Jacobs, but it was only operated by the switch, no solenoids on either the clutch pedal or throttle..

Edited by Retro Racer

• 2 years later...

I'm gonna give this a hell of a bump and open this discussion back up. It's been a few years and I've certainly gotten used to driving the maxitorque. I've been hauling on site and through the monotony of the day, I've been messing around with splitting gears on the compound stick. I can only really get up to 3rd hear on this job, but I can shift it 1LO, 1HI, 2LO, 2HI, 3LO, 3HI. There's one hill in here where I can lug it in 3rd and then drop the compound into LO and walk right up it.

According to the sticker on the dash, and this thread, it says it's not recommended. What, if any, damage could I be doing to the drivetrain? I don't think I'll ever drive it like this on the highway, but in here I'm under 20mph and it's neat to mess around with.

If it helps xdudebrahx, I have a TRXL107 in my plow. It has 5 speeds on the main and high low reverse on the rear compound. When I am plowing sometimes when I start the truck it is under a pretty heavy load.(wet heavy snow is like having the brakes on,you know,your a plow guy) I find it is easier to go to 3rd in low then shift into high, by then I have some momentum going. I don't know if it is right, but I haven't had any troubles in 16 years. As far as splitting the gears with my transmission, I don't think it would make sense as the high range is close to the same ratio as the low range in the next gear.

Keith