I am looking to buy a '65 B-61 that the man says has a Maxidyne 283 with a 9 speed on a 244" WB single rear air ride axle and a 60" bunk. He used it as a 'hot shot' truck and it looks pretty good in the pictures he sent. He's asking $12K for a nearly road ready truck. ( interior needs a little work ) I would use it as a show truck and probably pull a 5th wheel camper. My concerns are the 2 sticks ( he said it's a Roadranger tranny ) and I don't know anything about this engine. I'm hoping some of you veterens on here can give me so insight and info. Thanks, Mike

post-9580-0-58932800-1317608679_thumb.jp

post-9580-0-87267100-1317608706_thumb.jp

The ENDT-676 engine is a very good platform. The two stick nine speed if Mack is what is referred to as a nine speed overgear trans. It is also sound if not abused behind that engine.

He does want a bit much for the truck I feel however but that is just me thinking again. If it is what you are wanting it is not out of line as you would be about that building a copy. Be prepared for about $2500 for an interior and don't be surprise if more.

I've seen the truck and there are a few things I would do different but again, just me thinking here.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

the 285 is a good engine,,i think maybe its a browning 2 speed,behind the roadranger..and yes,,price is high,,unless its just what you want,and low mileage on engine,and all good rubber,,pretty much ready to work,,without nickel,,and diming you to death.paint looks tired.lol.good luck.bob

Without giving it a "once-over" in person,it is hard to give a fair and honest opinion,that being said,i think the price is a little on the high side,and it is not something i would personally be intersted in,as i favor the stock appearance in a classic Mack,mechanical,cosmetic,and safety upgrades not withstanding. So many of these type trucks seem "thrown together" to me,and it would take a small fortune to correct all the little things that someone else overlooked,not saying that this truck is one of those at all,i would just be very wary of all those "modifications" frame stretch,sleeper addition,driveshaft lenghthening etc...............again,just my two cents..............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Thanks for your input guys. I've been doing a little shopping around and kind of came to the same conclusion on the price. The correctness thing doesn't really bother me but, although I like the stretch and the big bunk, I also wondered about the frame and driveshaft issues. It's a good days drive away so I hate to do anything if I can't see it in person first. Yes, the paint is Tired. Rob, Have you seen it in person?

Thanks for your input guys. I've been doing a little shopping around and kind of came to the same conclusion on the price. The correctness thing doesn't really bother me but, although I like the stretch and the big bunk, I also wondered about the frame and driveshaft issues. It's a good days drive away so I hate to do anything if I can't see it in person first. Yes, the paint is Tired. Rob, Have you seen it in person?

Hi there, yes I have seen it in person. Some things are acceptable, some need a little more "finesse". A good start to a nice conversion but just a little more time needs exercised in the process.

Not running the project down, just my opinion(s).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.