JOB SPEECH

41chevy

After reading the article on the banning of incandesent lighting by 2014, it shows the Feds are not trying to "creat jobs". Rob, the shirt doesn't say it loud enough.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/06/us-firms-set-to-profit-from-green-light-bulb-production-in-china/

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I've been stocking up on incandescent bulbs...hope to have enough to trade for ammo when the shit hits the fan and I run out.

I got ammo and propane, no bulbs tho

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

After reading the article on the banning of incandesent lighting by 2014, it shows the Feds are not trying to "creat jobs". Rob, the shirt doesn't say it loud enough.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/06/us-firms-set-to-profit-from-green-light-bulb-production-in-china/

I guess Gibson Guitar CO. is next on the Obama an Holder hit list, along with the Chrysler Dealers!! An get this hot off the press the Pres. of Iran is goin have lunch with, I think 12 students of Columbia U. in NYC!! I hope they are all gay!! Now I have nothin against gay people, but let's see if Ackmojackmeoff will have a B.L.T with those guys?? IIIIIIIIIIIII think not.

BULLHUSK

I guess Gibson Guitar CO. is next on the Obama an Holder hit list, along with the Chrysler Dealers!! An get this hot off the press the Pres. of Iran is goin have lunch with, I think 12 students of Columbia U. in NYC!! I hope they are all gay!! Now I have nothin against gay people, but let's see if Ackmojackmeoff will have a B.L.T with those guys?? IIIIIIIIIIIII think not.

BULLHUSK

Stupid kids! Do they know who he is? or is it to show Obammy they follow him and stand behind him?

P.T.CHESHIRE

Stupid kids! Do they know who he is? or is it to show Obammy they follow him and stand behind him?

41, I would just love to see the young ladies of Columbia U. spend about a month in Iran, without being able to come home to Mommy an Daddy an the BMW an the Benz an the Credit Cards, I want to see the young Columbia Boys go to Iran for a month an protest in the streets about what they don't like about Iran? Or maybe some of the Columbia Hiking Team might want to Hike along the Iran boarder, to see some of the beautiful mountain range's or JAIL!! Are they really that naive? or just plain stupid?

BULLHUSK

Too close to tell, but I lean towards stupid. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Some of 'em may need to get out in the real world for a while and make a living and they might look at things a little differently.

It's been said that if you are 25 and not a liberal, you have no heart...and if you are 35 and not a conservative, you have no brain.

I'm proud to say I've never had a heart....and the older I get, the less tolerance I have for those who do.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Some of 'em may need to get out in the real world for a while and make a living and they might look at things a little differently.

As long as they do real work.....or put Everybody in the service for 2 years.

P.T.CHESHIRE

As long as they do real work.....or put Everybody in the service for 2 years.

That should be an amendment to the constitution; Mandatory military service for our youth.

They need to earn the right to the freedoms they enjoy.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That should be an amendment to the constitution; Mandatory military service for our youth.

Rob

Make it a requirment for all our elected officials too! Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'd be happy with a simple civics test on the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. Make sure they have a good understanding of where we came from before we entrust them with determining where we're going...

...or at least make sure they've READ the founding documents for themselves once or twice.

Not everyone is cut out for military service. I did the college thing, and then by the time I was seriously considering signing up, I couldn't afford the salary they were offering. Scored in the 99th percentile on the ASVAB, though...and as an Eagle Scout with a B.S. degree, would have started as an E4...but they refused to pay off my student loans with the job I wanted. They'd pay it off if I took a different job, but I wasn't going to take a job I didn't want JUST to have my student loans paid....and I couldn't afford to take the job I wanted at the salary they were offering AND keep all my student loans.

My recruiter got an earful from his higher-ups wanting to know why I didn't get signed up...but that wasn't my problem.

Funny thing was, 6 months later, they were really hurting for guys wanting to do the job I was going to take...probably would have paid twice the sign on bonus AND paid my student loans off....but by then I had bought a house and started putting down roots, so active duty was out of the question.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Rob

I have to raise the question of this statement as being contradicting. By forcing someone to serve in the military when they become of age whether or not they're is a conflict like WWII going on is it being contradicting about less goverment and less regulation? With that being said as a younger guy on this forum I would serve proudly if duty called like generations did before me. I have not served in the military but explored the possiblity a few years ago. A family freind (An active Marine Colonel in charge of marine deployement logistics) talked me out of it and said theyre are just as important careers cilivian side for someone of my skill and abilities who didn't want to make a career of it. But as I said before i would gladly and willing serve if a conflict would arise. I have a lot of good buddies that served proudly in the army, marines and air force in iraq and afghanistan during the wars on terror.

The other point i would like to make is that I am a proud union member and local union officer/secretary. Growing up in Pittsburgh in the shadow of the big steel has had an impact on me and a lot of other younger union members I know. I know for a fact that the members I work with and WORK FOR are hard working honest peope trying to make ends meet just like a lot of people on this forum. They are not lazy and smart enough to hit the reset button on theyre machines. I've run work for crews in a shop and my machine operators reset/maintained/operated our equipment on our own. The point I'm trying to make is that living in Pittsburgh and seeing what transpired because of the UNIONS AND COMPANIES NOT working together taught a lot of people a lesson. Trying to shed the old image of a the lazy entitlesd union member is a hard one. I can not speak for other unions but as for mine I am proud of the fact that I'm part of it because we are on the cutting edge of technology and productivity. The training and professionalism is bar-non compared to non-union counterparts. They is a big thing going on in pittsburgh with the medical facilities and infact the largest healthcare provider in our region came to our union and asked for our help in solving life and death problems in there facilites. I can't get into specifics because it is yet to be announced by them but it has to do with our professionalism and training. Tb part of that takes change in aditiudes and the unions have changed for the better. Members have changed. The opinion of a lot of non members hasn't and that's the difficult part. We learned in Pittsburgh years ago you have to embrace change or lose you job, nothing is garaunteed.... we ALL have to work together becuase if the company is not making money thrn I as a union member and employee is not making money.... I'll get off my soapbox.

No problem and thanks for your opinion(s). I happen to be the union representative for my work group and on many points I agree. Being a small business owner I know the need to balance profit margin yet treat employees fairly. Being a federal civil servant I have belief and value to the quality of the work I perform as the american taxpayer funds my position. The core value to my comments is this nation was formed with a strong defense to ensure the freedoms, liberties, and principals our forefathers fought and sacrificed for. Many of the younger "set" simply do not appreciate the past, nor believe looking to the future is best done by looking backwards at history, but rather have unrealistic expectations of what they deserve in this life, and how they will get it.

I do believe a mandatory military service contract should be initiated of two years active and two years active reserve. However, this should not be free. The department of defense does need to compensate through educational programs along with wages for this service. In my own experience I certainly had no radar experience when I dropped out of high school at 16 years old. Hell I thought pumping gas and working on cars was my future, (I was a pretty good wrench back then). Shorty after marrying "Momma" the thought bitch slapped me upside the head that I didn't make enough money to support a growing family and needed a job that offered some type of future. Having no practical knowlege except a strong mechanical misdirect, I enlisted in the US Navy. Once there and deciding painting ships and mopping floors really wasn't what I was into, I got lucky scoring high enough on "weasle worded" tests to get into the electronics fields. Once there it was a struggle to stay given my low aptitude, yet persistence. Now 30 years later, I still ensure aircraft get safely from point A to B because I believe in what I do and am compensated for the knowlege and experience of my tenure.

Yes, I am forever grateful to the military and the chance they gave me to further my own life's ambitions. The autobody shop I'm know for was started as a hobby, but wound up employing five individuals and funding college educations for my wife and both kids debt free. This is all part of my "American Dream" and for the most part has been realized. I am now middle aged and starting to slow down a bit. None of this could have been realized without military service.

The greatest gift we can pass to our next generations is the promise of a bright and prosperous future. A large portion of the current youth in this country haven't a clue of what it takes to realize these goals but are willing to accept whatever someone else is willing to sacrifice for, then complain about it.

We NEED change, but not the current change we as a country are experiencing now.

Thanks for reading and I don't mean to offend.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I did my 2 years, spend 120 plus days in the hospital and the rest of my life feeling it, but I got more positives out of it than not. Required service does not have to mean a combat unit, We have more than enough projects that we could train people to do and maybe give them a direction or a career for life. And yes the pay should be better. We don't offer real life training in schools and not everyone can afford career training or want to be white color..

The politician(s) who sends our troops in to harms way should in my opinion have first hand knowledge of it. Even if they do basic and go to the reserves. Maybe they would think twice before committing us to that type of situation or not giving them the equipment or help needed.

I've been union for 30 plus years and at least in N.Y. the attitude has not changed for the better. We have 2nd and 3 generation members who expect top pay and little work. On of 282's locals (from Quadrozzi's) struck the N.Y.Trade Center rebuild for more money to drive into Manhattan to unload at the site. Some or most problems stems from the reps and upper managment being out of touch with us, IMO Paul

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

no offense taken :) Like I said I personally wouldn't have a problem with military service but I know others would because of the freedom to do otherwise and it being a contradiction to less goverment intervention and regulation to daily lives of citizens. I think a lot of people would be able to benefit from military experience like you did. I just think a forced system people would cause people to rebell just do to the fact that it is forced.

"The greatest gift we can pass to our next generations is the promise of a bright and prosperous future. "

I agree fully with this statement. We've gotten ourselves into this mess and we have to get ourselves out. But bickering and fighting and saying this group is at fault ie unions or that group is at fault is not going to solve the problem. Think about this, even if no unions or unionism existed would manufacturing be leaving this country and looking for less labor cost intensive solutions? The only thing that matters to multi-nation corperations is the bottomline. Unions or no unions we as a country are the forerunner in the "developed world" meaning we've come from generations of farmers and peasants full bore to be at the heart of a good quality life. Developed means money and higher wages. My opinion of the matter is based off what unions have been preaching for years "cheaper isn't always better" because "imports do kill jobs". If you ever get a chance read the book "And the Wolf Finally Came" its about the collapse of the steel industry in the 70's and 80's but being particlally centered around the aurthors hometown of McKeesport a suburb of Pittsburgh. The paralells of what is going on today in the us and what happened in steel industry are quite clear. I've always heard since I was a kid about these now national issues of jobs and manufacturing leaving the country. Pittsburgh and our region along with our unions have gotten through it. So being at the forefront and recovery of pittsburgh's economy let me tell you it's not easy and tough decisions have to be made that will effect everyone it will only work when everyone is working together to get through it. EVERONE is at fault. The road to recovery should have a spot in for manufacturing. Buying american made goods puts money on american workers period.

• Like 1

Well said. Until we can stop the lobbiests, major companies and overseas influences from making decissions for our policians by buying them with "donations", things will not change. Many of our "trade partners" also have severe import duties on any foreign goods that duplicate what is made in country....incentive to buy home country products. We should do that. We have at this time an government that invests in companies and jobs overseas while stopping companies from doing the same thing here. We do have the skilled workers, we do have the incentive, we just need less government interference to do what we need to do. Paul

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

" I just think a forced system people would cause people to rebell just do to the fact that it is forced."

That's why we have "Right to Work" states.

"We do have the skilled workers, we do have the incentive, we just need less government interference to do what we need to do."

That's how the people in South Carolina feel. To what country (not state) are the jobs going if PBO and the National Labor Relations Board don't allow Boeing to open in in South Carolina? You will never change the public's perception of unions as long as you have BS like this going on.