Antique Truck Hobby Question

Do you guys think there are many of us around the US? Like enough to start a local group that meets once or twice a month. I know theres alot more guys it seems up north and il bet you already do things like that. But it seems like maybe a group in MD, NC , SC , VA , GA , etc, etc. can start up and do that type of things. Maybe like a ATHS Chapter.

Any of this make sence or am I rambling on.. ha ha , Jay

Edit - I see 3 chapters in NC for example on the ATHS web site, but are there shows often or events you guys do in your states?

Do you guys think there are many of us around the US? Like enough to start a local group that meets once or twice a month. I know theres alot more guys it seems up north and il bet you already do things like that. But it seems like maybe a group in MD, NC , SC , VA , GA , etc, etc. can start up and do that type of things. Maybe like a ATHS Chapter.

Any of this make sence or am I rambling on.. ha ha , Jay

Edit - I see 3 chapters in NC for example on the ATHS web site, but are there shows often or events you guys do in your states?

sounds like a great idea,,,not crazy at all,in your area ,,maybe then you could tell aths to pound sand,,im not happy with them at all, here in reno,,dont know how yours run,,out here id like to tell them to stick thier club,thier worthless as tits on a bull,of coarse then again a mack meet wouldnt help me either,,would just be me...lol..good luck,bob :chili:

That sounds like a great idea. Even though im all the way up in northern NJ i think that would be a great idea. I belong to a chapter for Ford Powerstrokes and we try to get together once a month and attend local car shows or diesel truck events. Our chapter is called "jersey Strokers". All the members got a sticker to put on their truck to show they are in a group. its a fun event to go to. If you need any help to start one just give me a holler!

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

I'd love to see some kind of a Mack club get started. Something with the mission of helping to maintain the Mack museum and preserve the heritage of Mack Trucks.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I see local car clubs and things like that alot but I was wondering if theres enough of us out there to meet up. They dont have to be members here but do you guys think theres enough antique truck collectors out there to do things? I was wondering how we can get the word out to guys that dont use the internet or arent BMT users.

Well i think there are enough people to start one. Even if there are only 10 or 15 guys that attend, people will still have a blast. But for the people that dont use the internet the only way to get them to attend is if you see them driving their truck around and just pass them a flyer that we can make up for the local meets or a link to the site. Just a few ideas.

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

I'd love to see some kind of a Mack club get started. Something with the mission of helping to maintain the Mack museum and preserve the heritage of Mack Trucks.

I'd like to see something like this myself,just look at how many clubs/organizations devoted to a specific make/model there are out there,Corvette,Mustang,Mopars etc. why not Macks?........I mean look at how many members there are on here,shows there is some interest i would say!.............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I'd like to see something like this myself,just look at how many clubs/organizations devoted to a specific make/model there are out there,Corvette,Mustang,Mopars etc. why not Macks?........I mean look at how many members there are on here,shows there is some interest i would say!.............Mark

WTF is the "Mack" you speaketh of?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Several years ago there was a Mack Truck owners club,Marv Comer from Baltimore headed it up.I don't know what ever happened to it,I think I only got one or two newsletters,then nothing.

I wonder if the way to go would be to start a Mack Chapter in the ATCA? Who says chapters have to be geographically based? That way we would have the support of a national organization while still being able to pursue our own mission as well.

What do you think Doug?

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

All you northern guys, that was one of the issues I was thinking was that theres not enough of us around each state and all over the state like car clubs and things.

Maybe I'm missing something here.... You don't have to join the ATHS or the ATCA to go to their shows. I do belong to both and subscribe to OTT, but I went to their shows before I even knew what they were. Even if you join , you don;t have to take part in the politics....

I know of 3 shows in NC, and there are more in va...

If you want to start a club , go for it.... affiliate with either on not. Being in a larger group gets you help and publicty.

Good luck

Why dont we have a poll and see where all the people are who want to participate in the Chapter are located?! Just an idea. :thumb:

Tom

I wouldn't mind a local or a tri state informal club. The ATHS is good, I like the meets, but a local cruise or a get together would by good too. I'd take a day or weekend trip to meet and talk shop with other Mack owners. I think as long as it stays semi informal it would work. I was in a local chapter of a national single make club,all was fine until I showed up with a commercial model of the make.... Snubbed by the masses. :blink: Me and my Corvan got no peer respect :rolleyes:

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

All the truck clubs I see are most elder gentlemen out of respect and very few young poeple. So maybe that is why few trucks clubs are out there. The younger poeple are not intrested in truck clubs. Years ago I use to belong to my local old truck club in the Binghamton area but I did not own a old truck and the reason I joined is becuase I collect 1/64 scale rigs of all types and maybe I can display my truck at out local show but the year I joined is the year they stopped have a local show as having it in the Binghamton area. The old truck clubs has to think out of the box to attrac the younger poeple and there not doing that. Also becuase they stop having a local truck show in the Binghamton area I never went back to the old truck club in my area. The next closes truck club is in the cortland area and that is out of my area to too far to travel at night for there meetings. Also I know there ara a few older poeple and also young poeple in my area that owns old trucks but there is no local old truck club with in the Binghamton NY area.

Terry E Davis

I think you missed the point, was to do more things than 3 or 4 things a year and not have to drive 3-10 hours away and spend the night.

Out of the 3 shows a Year in NC the closest one I think is 3 hours away. 2 if not all 3 are in western NC. I sure will start going though, and im a ATHS member. Also im talking about doing things once a month or more often. But im thinking like Terry is , theres not enough of us out there and it seems like the hobby has mostly older men and a few younger ones. Seems like guys from 18-30 dont care too much for antique trucks.

I dont care if its any make of truck , I enjoy seeing all other makes and years of trucks. Beats looking the same thing 100 times.

We will see, i hope this hobby picks up and gets a bit bigger so we all can do small informal things closer to home then hit the big shows as they come around.

But im thinking like Terry is , theres not enough of us out there and it seems like the hobby has mostly older men and a few younger ones. Seems like guys from 18-30 dont care too much for antique trucks.

If you can solve this you'll be a hero to SPAMFAA, ATHS, and ATCA. All of us realize that the hobby primarily attracts older folks. We need a younger crowd as well, but we can't seem to come up with a way to attract them to the hobby. Part of it is that it is a relatively expensive pursuit with limited opportunity to liquidate the investment if you need to in a hurry. Part of it is most young folks who have an interest in trucks are working folks who cannot spend money on a hobby when there are young mouths to feed and educate.

Thats why it's important to make sure interested folks know you don't need to own a truck to be part of a club. A lot of us own more than one rig and would love to find someone who has an interest in the trucks and would be willing to drive a rig to a show or parade. Or someone who wants to learn about the old rigs by helping out with the upkeep. I know I wish I had become more involved before I bought my first rig. I could have used the education on what to look for and what to avoid before I spent my hard earned money.

I think if people knew how inexpencive "some" of the trucks really are. You can get a old IH or GMC or KW from the 60's-70's pretty cheap , so a little work and then take it as is to a show or cruise in. Id love to have a Mack AC Bulldog but I know I cant afford it so I will stick to the cheaper trucks for now.

I was suprised to see at the Rotella Show And Shine how many younger people were truck owners and came to show the truck off. Not like they care about antiques but it was still nice to see some peoplee in their 20's with trucks.

I think to do something I will need to find a another guy or two in my area with an Antique truck then we can hang around with the trucks and do a cruise in at a truck stop or something to find more people.

I was looking at some of my show photos, We had a good time this year when we took my Marmon to Texas for the annual Marmon gathering in April. A great time at the ATHS show in Winchester Va. and a good time at Macungie, but I think the best was a local cruise the Riverhead for the L.I. Antique power Equipment show. I don't know if it was the informal convoy to the show , the old time country get together or the fact that it was almost all familys and younger people. Wouldn't mind doing that a few times a year. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Id love to have a Mack AC Bulldog but I know I cant afford it so I will stick to the cheaper trucks for now.

And most fire truck collectors dream about owning an Ahrens-Fox piston pumper. The problem with either is unless you are wealthy enough to own a flat bed and tractor, or you are in a business that has one, all you can do is keep it in the garage and "enjoy" it by yourself. I'd rather have something I can take to shows and parades where everyone can enjoy seeing a piece of history.