Looks Like I'm Going To South Bend:

Rob

"Momma" reserved me a hotel room in South Bend last evening. Says I can't sleep on the ground and need a shower. She also says it's time for her to have some time alone and this is a good way to be rid of me for a few days, (aw shucks I say).

I was talking to Morgan last evening, (B61 Fred) and I'm going to try to bring my R model to stretch the legs a bit but remain somewhat local. The truck seems reliable but I've not had it further than about eight miles from home, and it hasn't seen road miles since 2004. Still have a few things to get repaired/patched up before the journey, but it seems like it's a "go" at this point.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

IT LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE OUR SELVES A CONVOY! We are leaving Bloomfield IN about 7:00 am Thursday and headed up 231 to Layfayette IN and crossing over through Delphi and onto SouthBend. That should take us around Indy. Between the 500 race and I465 beening choked down to one lane, I dont think we want to be around there. Packer is going to be in our group, as well as the guys from the South Central Indiana Truck Club, and now Rob too. Any one else wants to go with us just let us know.

B61fred

15 gears...no waiting!

IT LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE OUR SELVES A CONVOY! We are leaving Bloomfield IN about 7:00 am Thursday and headed up 231 to Layfayette IN and crossing over through Delphi and onto SouthBend. That should take us around Indy. Between the 500 race and I465 beening choked down to one lane, I dont think we want to be around there. Packer is going to be in our group, as well as the guys from the South Central Indiana Truck Club, and now Rob too. Any one else wants to go with us just let us know.

B61fred

Morgan my brother and i were going to leave thursday too, if you and Rob are going thur Delphi we will wait on you guys. let me know what time you will be comming thru so we can meet up,if you still have the same phone# i will give you a call next week. Thanks Ron

Sounds like a good turn out of Mack fans! I might ride over- haven't decided yet where I'm going on memorial day weekend. I'm currently banned from ATHS's forum for complaining about their $10 entry fee, etc... So I may just pay up my membership and give 'em a piece of my mind at the annual meeting!

Looks like we'll see you all in South Bend.

Jimmy is leaving here with his W900 and trailer loaded with a nice little Emeryville early on Thursday morning, and I am following a little later. About a ten hour drive.

Morgan - we should talk by phone once onsite to arrange dinner. Rob can buy.

Paul VS

Hi Paul, yes I'll buy but what I've got scheduled on the menu will be a new experience for you I'm sure.

On your way, please stop by the Rochester Diaper Manufacturing plant and pick up some of what we refer to as "secondary confinement" items. We're gonna need um.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Paul, yes I'll buy but what I've got scheduled on the menu will be a new experience for you I'm sure.

On your way, please stop by the Rochester Diaper Manufacturing plant and pick up some of what we refer to as "secondary confinement" items. We're gonna need um.

Rob

Man alive......am I going to have ta fly up next weekend just to see you guys in diapers at the truck show? Or are you guys going to do some skit on stage? I think the diaper company Rob is talkin about only cleans dirty diapers. Rob may have some new recipe for his diaper filtering for his BBQ sauce. LOL

mike

Rob

Is this dinner show on Friday or Saturday? You all have may number.

Jimmy is leaving here with his W900 and trailer loaded with a nice little Emeryville early on Thursday morning, and I am following a little later. About a ten hour drive.

Paul VS

YES! I do believe it is his turn to buy.... We just got to make sure he buys it and not something cooked on the manifold of his truck. Garth called and said he is not going to make though. Tough break.

15 gears...no waiting!

I have elected to drive my car to the show rather than the Mack due to a driveline "hop". Tonight I had a friend sit on the 5th wheel while I drove around. I have this serious hop that happens just under 40mph, and again at just under 50mph. "Jerry" said the rear axle just about comes off the ground when nearing the 40mph mark. After looking closely under the 5th wheel the torque link is really beat out on both ends on the rear rear. I'm making the assumption this could be a problem??? The truck is perfectly smooth above 50mph. The trunion bushings appear to be sound with no shifting of the crossbar within the rubber. All tires are equalized at 100psi and are radials. All treadwear is even. Kinda hard to stay in the seat when it's jumping around.

I put about 40 highway miles on the truck tonight to let everything warm up well. The trans is quite a bit louder when hot than cold. It does not however have any play, or slop that I can tell, and shifts crisp. There is a fresh reman, and a known good RTO-12513 around here so I may just swap it out.

Planning to head for South Bend about 3:00am CST.

Some more of my random thoughts.........

Rob

Sounds like a good turn out of Mack fans! I might ride over- haven't decided yet where I'm going on memorial day weekend. I'm currently banned from ATHS's forum for complaining about their $10 entry fee, etc... So I may just pay up my membership and give 'em a piece of my mind at the annual meeting!

I'm an ATHS member and usually get to a couple of shows every year, but I don't even go to the ATHS website anymore-what a bunch of pricks!..i'll just lurk about over here on BMT.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

fixin' that post-and now,the real story...

I have elected to drive my car to the show rather than the Mack due to a driveline "hop". Tonight I had a friend sit on the freshly greased 5th wheel while I drove around. I have this serious hop that happens just under 70mph, and again at just under 90mph. "Jerry" said the rear axle just about comes off the ground when nearing the 70mph mark. After looking closely under the 5th wheel the torque link is really beat out on both ends on the rear rear. I'm making the assumption this could be a problem??? The truck is perfectly smooth above 90mph. The trunion bushings appear to be sound with no shifting of the crossbar within the rubber. All tires are old recaps I found at the dump, and hold at least 40psi. Some are radials and some are bias ply. All treadwear is uneven. Kinda hard to stay in the seat anyway when i'm jumping around listening to Kool and the Gang in the 8-track!

I put about 40 highway miles on the truck tonight to let everything warm up well. The trans is quite a bit louder when hot than cold. It does not however have any play, or slop that I can tell, and shifts crisp. There is a fresh reman, and a known good RTO-12513 around here so I may just swap it out.

Planning to head for South Bend about 3:00am CST.

Some more of my random thoughts.........

Rob

"Jerry"- you are a very brave man. Or perhaps you were forced to do that against your will,eh? I know of a great attorney in Daingerfield, Texas.

Paul VS

Gee...wish I could have gone. Just got home last night, ran 2 loads of lumber to Pa. and one to Ohio this week and loaded steel in Sharon,Pa. back to Lynchburg each time.

Would have got to meet Paul- Rob, take a picture of Paul for us. Paul, take a picture of Rob for us and end the mystery. Some people feel that his profile picture is not actually him.

You guys have a nice weekend,i'll be in Gladys grilling stuff.

I met up with Jimmy, but haven't seen Paul as of yet. Over 800 trucks as of yesterday with today forcasted to be the largest gathering.

Thursday was wet and rainy, yesterday was overcast but dry so many more showed up. Today looks sunny as of right now.

More later, David just called and I'm headed to the fairgrounds to meet up now.

Rob

Got home about 1:45a.m. this morning. Great show as David said. I took 211 photos and not a single PETE as I didn't want to risk poisoning, or breaking my camera!! Some interesting trucks there for certain. Nice bunch of folks and nothing like the car shows I've been to for certain. Whold different mentality.

I'll post photos shortly.

Rob

So how many batteries did you end up going through Rob? It was a pleasure to chat with you next to the green CF Yesterday a.m. although it was mostly you and Freighttrain chatting, I couldn't get a word in edgewise!

hehehehe....

T.

So how many batteries did you end up going through Rob? It was a pleasure to chat with you next to the green CF Yesterday a.m. although it was mostly you and Freighttrain chatting, I couldn't get a word in edgewise!

hehehehe....

T.

Hi Terry was also great to meet up with you also. Yeah, once I get to "flappin the trap" nobody gets to speak further. I get my opinion across that way.

Those batteries I purchased earlier in the day went the distance. Many photos were taken with a flash also. In fact the Ray-O-Vac brand rechargables are already in the trash. Won't make that mistake again.

"Momma" really rubbed it in about forcing me to stay in a motel Friday night. By admission it was nice to not sleep in the Jeep again although it wasn't uncomfortable. She is already pestering me to reserve a room for Macungie.

I certainly enjoyed meeting those I was fortunate to see.

Rob

Hi Terry was also great to meet up with you also. Yeah, once I get to "flappin the trap" nobody gets to speak further. I get my opinion across that way.

Those batteries I purchased earlier in the day went the distance. Many photos were taken with a flash also. In fact the Ray-O-Vac brand rechargables are already in the trash. Won't make that mistake again.

"Momma" really rubbed it in about forcing me to stay in a motel Friday night. By admission it was nice to not sleep in the Jeep again although it wasn't uncomfortable. She is already pestering me to reserve a room for Macungie.

I certainly enjoyed meeting those I was fortunate to see.

Rob

Here is some entertainment:

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb81/51Mack/2011%20ATHS%20South%20Bend/

Rob

Forgot to mention in the earlier posts that no matter how bad the "hop" in the driveline, I could make it stop by checking out some seriously high speeds. This is not what ultimately killed driving to South Bend, but a grinding bearing in the trans I suspect did. After getting a bit over 50 miles on the truck the transmission really started "singing" a few more miles later I could feel the bearings working through the steering column and floor. I then turned for home.

I have a couple of 13 speeds around here and will swap it later in the week.

Rob