3000 White

other dog

I've taken a few drive-by pictures of this truck before, but today I stopped in Appomattox while on the way to Cumberland to see my parents and took a close look at it and took some pictures. Pretty nice looking truck, to be almost as old as I am. Don't know what engine it has, it was hard to see. Thought maybe a 220 Cummins, but it has a turbo on it.

I don't know anything about it, who owns it, or what they want for it, just that i'd love to have it. I could drive the mixer in the parade, and Jo could drive the White. If she hit anything she'd certainly be the first one to get there,eh?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

That would be a JT cummins with a R46 trans.The 220 cummins would have a radator stand up behind the cab with a drive shaft running along the top or the left frame rail from the acc drive pulley to the rear of the engine with belt drive pulleys at both ends.Most of them use a 5 speed and 2 speed axle.

glenn akers

I always thought the 3000 White was an "interesting" truck,especially with the sleeper cab,back when i was still a household mover i had a friend who worked for a small family owned company up in north Jersey,Marshalls Moving & storage,they had two of them,plus an IH emeryville and several other classic trucks that worked everyday,they were washed/cleaned almost daily! i can tell you from first-hand experience,the insides of their trucks/trailers were nicer than some of the houses i have been in! a class act to be sure! sadly they went out many years ago,the old man that owned the company did'nt want to keep up with the current technology (cant say as i blame him) just got to be too much to handle............Mark

post-5836-0-77550600-1304215283_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-13150800-1304215293_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

were those marshall pictures taken at the englishtown truck drags way back when?

Yup! sure were,my dad and i must have taken 500 pictures that day,i still have most of them........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Was that chain the safety catch to keep the windshield from hitting the ground when you slammed on the brakes?

Yea David, I also believe it was the seatbelt. If the drivers face got too close to the windshield then the seat chain belt would allow just enough slak to keep the windshield from breaking his nose.

I use to love the ole Whites of this model. Once saw in an early 60's Hot Rod Magazine this model someone had put a V-12 Allison behind the cab.

Thanks for the memories

mike

When I was growing up in Stamford CT, the Hoffman Fuel co. had a whole fleet of those Whites with Tanks on them for home fuel delivery. Theirs had big 6 cylinder flathead gas motors in them.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

When I was growing up in Stamford CT, the Hoffman Fuel co. had a whole fleet of those Whites with Tanks on them for home fuel delivery. Theirs had big 6 cylinder flathead gas motors in them.

Those white flathead gasers were the coolest sounding gas engines I ever heard. They had a really throaty ocilating sound when starting up from a dead stop with a full load. Sounded much better than the Mack gasers. The IH red dimond 450's were a close second. Spector freight out of the midwest had a whole heard of

White 3000's with Cummins diesels and the radiators in the back. The good old days when trucks sounded like trucks.