B61 Turn Signals

I have a question about rear turn signals on my B61 Mack. According to my wiring digram the rear of a road tractor was not equipted with turn signals. Is this a fact? Also does DOT require an owner of a B61 to put rear turn signals on these trucks to be legal to operate on highways? Thanks in advance guys.

I have a question about rear turn signals on my B61 Mack. According to my wiring digram the rear of a road tractor was not equipted with turn signals. Is this a fact? Also does DOT require an owner of a B61 to put rear turn signals on these trucks to be legal to operate on highways? Thanks in advance guys.

I don't know about heavy trucks but for automobiles and lt. trucks, rear turn signals were not mandated in USA until the 1959 model year. If your truck is prior, or the electrical print is earlier than 1959, they could very well could have not been original equipment on the rear of the truck.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Back when I got my first B-61,Iowa had a law that all vehicles had to pass inspection upon transfer of ownership before plates could be issued.If a vehicle was sold that would not pass,it could be sold on a "Red title",then new owner was responsible for getting it to pass before registering it.So after I got my truck finished,I had to have it inspected by DOT.I wired it up original,with only a single tail/stop light.I even showed them a original wiring diagram,but they would not pass it until I wired up 2 tail,stop,and turn lights on the rear.I'm sure like everything else,this would vary from state to state.

Rob is correct, though I myself was uncertain about the year cutoff. My pickup came from the factory with no signals and a single brake light, mounted on the left. If it's registered as an antique, then many states' laws will allow the setup as it came (or could have come) from the factory. Not sure how this applies to big trucks. If you have real tags instead of antique, then most likely you'll need signals. As said before, things vary a little by state.

Call the Georgia State Patrol or the DMV and ask them. In VA if it has historical tage it doesn't have to be inspected. Each state is going to differ.

The real question is: Is it more important to you to have the rig put back exactly as it was delivered or do want to update it to make it safer to drive? One of my trucks does not have turn signals and it can be quite an adventure to drive in the age of tweeting, cell phones, and texting by other drivers.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Call the Georgia State Patrol or the DMV and ask them. In VA if it has historical tage it doesn't have to be inspected. Each state is going to differ.

The real question is: Is it more important to you to have the rig put back exactly as it was delivered or do want to update it to make it safer to drive? One of my trucks does not have turn signals and it can be quite an adventure to drive in the age of tweeting, cell phones, and texting by other drivers.

As I intend to use my trucks on a regular basis, I like to update them for safety and convenience when possible. Take advantage of advances in technology over the years.

Gregg

Who needs signals?.......Left arm comes in handy down here and sometimes the fingers do also. I've even had my g/f's use their feet hangin out tha window for a signal.

mike

speaking of legs outside of vehicles.....

I got a funny look from a cop once when I was driving my '86 Ford Ranger. It doesn't have much of a floor on the driver's side, so I liked to hang my left foot through the floor and people could see it dangling under the truck....Cop was sitting at a light when I made a left off the side street. I didn't think a human neck could turn that far around on a person's shoulders :blink:

:lol:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

The very first truck i drove was a 1963 B-61T,it was originally an old Hess oil truck,pulled the same trailer all the time it was in service,but when we got it,it did not have rear turn signals,only a single stop/tailight. in the name of safety we did install "modern" signal-stat turn/brake lights,but as others have stated,laws vary from state to state here in VA,original as manufactored is exempt from inspection,but normal everyday vehicles must comply with DMV rules and regs.ie: lights,seatbelts etc. my thinking is better safe than sorry!.............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

On more of a serious note......far as can recall it was back in the 1920's and very early 30's, the heavy duty trucks had no turn signals. If you look at the schemetics of the B Models, the wiring diagrams show diesels and gas engine trucks had turn signals. I would have to say your B Model truck should have turn signals. If not, I would install them for safety's sake.

mike

Probably only a matter of time until they come out with a turn signal app for the I Phone

Russ

I hear the one that automatically wipes your ass is set for release next year.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.