I Finally Own A Trailer:

Rob

I did win the auction for the trailer I'd asked about earlier. Spoke extensively with the seller after several PM's and conversations from members here assuring me of the sellers integrity. After speaking with the seller, I too find him a "straight shooter" and honest.

Really appreciate the "team" help guys. I wouldn't/couldn't have done this without the help here.

Yes Morgan, You CAN borrow it when needed.

Thanks,

Rob

http://cgi.ebay.com/...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob..... GOOD DEAL!! I just need something reliable enough to pull it!! Will the dodge now feel unwanted? When are you planing to come down and get the 238 at my place?

Morgan

The Dodge has parts on order and should be her mid week at the latest. I work tomorrow, then off for the next two weeks. My uncle needs that engine for his Diamond T so it will probably not even make it back to my place.

I'll give you a call in the next couple of days. I've not found my phone yet after losing it in the snow a couple days ago.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Good on ya mate.

How you plan on getting it from there to there?

I'm going to license the R612 next week and give it a bit of "shakedown" to ensure it's reliable. The truck has not been through a DOT inspection in a couple of years so I'll take it to the state police office and get them to give me a "complimentary" inspection for free. They really are pretty decent people to visit with when they don't catch you alongside the road out of compliance.

Rob

I'm going to license the R612 next week and give it a bit of "shakedown" to ensure it's reliable. The truck has not been through a DOT inspection in a couple of years so I'll take it to the state police office and get them to give me a "complimentary" inspection for free. They really are pretty decent people to visit with when they don't catch you alongside the road out of compliance.

Rob

"alongside the road out of compliance"...unfortunately, that's the only time I ever get to meet them.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Found this early black and white picture of Rob's Chevrolet wrecker,circa 1958. Rob had just gotten out of the navy, where he had learned all about body repair. His job was fixing navy tanks when they got bent, so he decided to open a body shop when he got out. A wrecker was a must have so he took his savings and went to the local Chevy dealer and purchased this unit and made a wrecker out of it.

This was his very first wrecker call, pulling a car carrier out of the ditch in the snow. It also started his desire to have a trailer...

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Found this early black and white picture of Rob's Chevrolet wrecker,circa 1958. Rob had just gotten out of the navy, where he had learned all about body repair. His job was fixing navy tanks when they got bent, so he decided to open a body shop when he got out. A wrecker was a must have so he took his savings and went to the local Chevy dealer and purchased this unit and made a wrecker out of it.

This was his very first wrecker call, pulling a car carrier out of the ditch in the snow. It also started his desire to have a trailer...

And finally the time has come......

Rob

Alright youse guys, I need to solicit some "best" driving directions to pick this thing up. I know how to get from Freightrain's house which I will visit upon the trip for a rest stop. He is in Canton, OH and I will depart there for Manchester, NH in the morning after arrival. I will be driving a Mack tractor and want to avoid the tollways and weigh stations as much as possible. I really don't mind the state highways and going through small towns as I won't be in a big hurry. Also would like to return basically the same route but will be dragging my new trailer empty. Also keep in mind I've never driven this tractor futher than about five miles, never even seen the trailer but assured it is safe for the trip, and have very limited experience overall. I've never had to deal with DOT (involuntarily) alongside the road and the tractor may have antique plates.

I may also entertain someone bringing it back or at least partial way too. I can get a load headed out but would require at 53' step to transport, (sawmill apparatus). The seller can load the trailer onto another.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

Alright youse guys, I need to solicit some "best" driving directions to pick this thing up. I know how to get from Freightrain's house which I will visit upon the trip for a rest stop. He is in Canton, OH and I will depart there for Manchester, NH in the morning after arrival. I will be driving a Mack tractor and want to avoid the tollways and weigh stations as much as possible. I really don't mind the state highways and going through small towns as I won't be in a big hurry. Also would like to return basically the same route but will be dragging my new trailer empty. Also keep in mind I've never driven this tractor futher than about five miles, never even seen the trailer but assured it is safe for the trip, and have very limited experience overall. I've never had to deal with DOT (involuntarily) alongside the road and the tractor may have antique plates.

I may also entertain someone bringing it back or at least partial way too. I can get a load headed out but would require at 53' step to transport, (sawmill apparatus). The seller can load the trailer onto another.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

ROB, IF YOU COME UP ALONG THE LAKE INTO NEW YORK YOU CAN RUN RT. 20 AND STOP AND SEE ME AND LET ME TRY YOUR NEW TOY. HAA HAA RT 20 AND RT 98 ON THE MAP. GOOD LUCK

GG2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

Rob, I don't know if it's required but if you have IFTA stickers, an inspection sticker, and your name on both doors when you cross the scales, it may keep you from hearing "Pull around back and get out your paperwork".

Rob, I don't know if it's required but if you have IFTA stickers, an inspection sticker, and your name on both doors when you cross the scales, it may keep you from hearing "Pull around back and get out your paperwork".

I've got a lot of checking to do as I've never had IFTA stickers or carried a log book, (for instance). Never have licensed anything over 26,000# and seldom operated out of Illinois. When I did, never had any problems.

Rob

Get a sign made to put on each door that says "Not for hire"

When are you gonna be in town?

I'm going to license the truck on Monday and give it a short 100 mile or so "shakedown" run bobtail. I'm going to go with antique license plates from the start, and later pursue working tags as with the exception of pulling this trailer home the truck is not needed yet for business.

I'm off work the next couple of weeks so need to get a travel plan put together and watch the weather for a clearing. I do plan to stop to see you guys probably on both the drive over and return. Your location is a little better than 1/2 the travel distance to Manchester.

Rob

Rob, It is tough to efficiently avoid all the tolls when travelling to New England. I also try to minimize tolls. My best route from Canton, OH would be as follows:

I-76 east from Akron to I-80 east into PA. to I-81 north into Scranton, PA. then I-84 into NY, thru CT into Massachusetts. I-84 ends at the Mass. Turnpike, go east 10 miles on the Pike then exit and go east on I-290 through Worcester to I-495 north. From there you can take route 3 north into Manchester (toll) or I-93 (a few extra miles but no toll).

This route also minimizes city traffic and DOT scrutiny, although I do hear that Connecticut truck enforcement is getting a bit frisky. I haven't been up there recently to know. Greg is right to say the "not for hire" signs should save you any harassment. Tell them you are from AMERICAN PICKERS pursuing your hobby...

If you want the NYC experience on the way home, you could take I-95 across the George Washington Bridge to I-80 west. That will put you right past Bangor, PA. where you are always welcome to stop for a spell.

Gregg

Rob,

The antique plates and "not for hire" signs will pretty much do everything you need.

The antique plates take you out of the mainstream as far as many commercial truck regulations go.

A logbook is always a good idea - and learn how to use it.

Staying off the toll roads probably won't really save you from any DOT checks - especially in New York. The Thruway (I-90) is a good, fast road with only occasional DOT stops.

Gregg's route is good also - although it will be a pretty long ride home if you are going direct back with no visiting.

Look like you fit in, and look like you know what you're doing. You'll be fine.

PVS

Rob,

The antique plates and "not for hire" signs will pretty much do everything you need.

The antique plates take you out of the mainstream as far as many commercial truck regulations go.

A logbook is always a good idea - and learn how to use it.

Staying off the toll roads probably won't really save you from any DOT checks - especially in New York. The Thruway (I-90) is a good, fast road with only occasional DOT stops.

Gregg's route is good also - although it will be a pretty long ride home if you are going direct back with no visiting.

Look like you fit in, and look like you know what you're doing. You'll be fine.

PVS

Prolly oughta leave the bear at home too,,,,randyp :unsure:

Prolly oughta leave the bear at home too,,,,randyp :unsure:

The bear sleeps, A LOT.

She never complains of a "headache" either.

Rob

"Look like you fit in, and look like you know what you're doing."

Here in lies the the real problem.

But ossifer, I didn't know it was illegal to text while in a construction zone.

Rob

:SMOKIE-LFT:

There's a lot of truth in that "Look like you fit in,look like you know what you're doing." plan. Most times,if you just go along like you know you're doing what you're supposed to be doing,they won't even notice you. That's what works for me. BTW-if you DO get stopped,remember,you get what you give,so polite and friendly is good,sarcastic and insulting is bad. I'm sure you already know all this stuff though. Have a fun trip. :thumb:

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>