Heavy Duty Trucking

not yet approved... maybe it's why there's no Mack emblem... i'm not sure, but the triangle near the front grill look pretty bad without a Mack in it..

Here's the new front end. I think the Mack should be bigger.

The Granite does not have a Mack emblem in the triangle. UPS Visions don't have the emblem either.

The grill design is like that to form an M.

post-334-1160413034.jpg

As for the UPS trucks not having MACK on them. Look closer at any UPS truck. For as long as I can remember, back to the Diamond REO's, Astro's and F Model Macks UPS has not had the manufactures name on them. The F models did not even have a Bulldog if I remember correctly and the first CH612's and CH613's had a handle in place of the Bulldog to tilt the hood. I was once told the reasoning for UPS to dis-allow a brand name on a truck they purchased was because they were not being paid to advertise the type of truck. Think back to the GMC Astro's, Diamond's, F models, IHC's, Fords and now Sterlings, IHC's and Macks. I haven't looked closely at the new Volvo's that UPS Freight is running so I am not sure if they are doing the same thing with division.

T.

If I remember correct, I've seen or read that UPS sought after a company to build the brown truck (small one). There reason was that since all the major mid duty truck manufacturers were customers. They felt that they should have there own built not to show favortism.. The company that ending up with the contract was actually a small boat builder, hence the hull like roof, actually a real hull design..

The more I thick about it it probably was on the History channel.

As for the UPS trucks not having MACK on them. Look closer at any UPS truck. For as long as I can remember, back to the Diamond REO's, Astro's and F Model Macks UPS has not had the manufactures name on them. The F models did not even have a Bulldog if I remember correctly and the first CH612's and CH613's had a handle in place of the Bulldog to tilt the hood. I was once told the reasoning for UPS to dis-allow a brand name on a truck they purchased was because they were not being paid to advertise the type of truck. Think back to the GMC Astro's, Diamond's, F models, IHC's, Fords and now Sterlings, IHC's and Macks. I haven't looked closely at the new Volvo's that UPS Freight is running so I am not sure if they are doing the same thing with division.

T.

I always heard that UPS didn't want to pay for the bulldogs and Mack lettering so eventually, Mack donated the Bulldogs on each truck at no extra cost to them...not really sure of the real reason!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

The Granite does not have a Mack emblem in the triangle. UPS Visions don't have the emblem either.

The grill design is like that to form an M.

That's not an "M".

Look closely.... the trim at the top of the grille, directly under the bulldog is definitely shaped like a "V".

"V" stands for *$%#@*!%^.

(I can't bring myself to type that word)

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I was once told the reasoning for UPS to dis-allow a brand name on a truck they purchased was because they were not being paid to advertise the type of truck

I drove a "package car" for a UPS holiday rush several years ago, and that's what we were told during training.

Jim

post-61-1160536247.jpg

T.

Guess UPS wasn't always against having the Bulldog and nameplates on their Macks.

I haven't looked closely at the new Volvo's that UPS Freight is running so I am not sure if they are doing the same thing with division.

In the past two days I have taken a closer look at the UPS Freight Volvo's and the do not say "Volvo" in the center of the grille.

T.

I worked at UPS for 4 years back when I was in High school. I was told that the reasons none of the trucks or package cars had mfg names was that they did not want to show favortism or advertise another mfg name. I worked on a dock next to the maintence bays and back when the CH macks had handels in place of the dog some of the drivers would remove the handel and place the dog back on. Some drivers even bought and put the OEM lettering back on the truck disregarding company policys. If you look at some of the CH macks they likely have a dog or handel in its place but no "mack" lettering across the grill.

The F and MH models at the time also had no dogs. Some of the new packagecars I think are freightliners chassies? I havent looked close but I did see a few stickers with the FL name on it. not shure who builds the bodies.

Trent

• 4 weeks later...

I was told by an employee at the Mack Assembly plant this past August that UPS does not allow a truck's name to appear anywhere on the truck. As one of you mentioned, for a while they didn't even allow the bulldog on the hood. They do now thankfully. I have also noticed that the Volvo's lack the name "Volvo" in the square in the center of the grille, the Internationals do not say "International" under the window and I belive they lack the diamond on the hood, finally the Sterlings do have the "S" on the hood, but lack the name on the door.

• 2 weeks later...

I sure hope Mack stays with their tradtional look and don't go the way of the Volvo. I'm not a big fan of the latest Volvo models. Mack could borrow some of the interior refinements but hopefully the look stays all Mack.

Mack- Built Tough to Ride Rough!

Driver and operator for Bertils Gravel and Excavation