Cab Overs

QCDriver

Yeah I'd say price is definitly a problem. I don't know exactly what kind of a job a fella would have to have it on for it to pay for itself. There's nothing wrong with a good cabover though, I'd take one in a heartbeat. I'd have to say you've missed something if you have'nt had the opportunity to drive one at some point in you trucking career. I'd have to say if I had to go with a european cabover I'd take a Scania with a V8, I'm kinda partial to V8's.

It is really pretty simple - the average driver in the United States won't drive one. Once the manufacturers started coming out with stand up walk through sleepers the cabover was done. I worked for 3 large fleets and the name of the game is staffing (keeping butts in seats). No large fleet is going to buy trucks it is going to have trouble getting guys to drive. It is hard enough getting drivers to drive aerodynamic trucks becasue every driver really wants a "hood"

When the length laws changed in 1983 and you could pull a 48' trailer with a Large Car, the cabover was kicked to the curb. If they would sell someone would build em.

Funny, I remember in '89,(was driving FL cabover) in Philly., wreck on 95n, 2 large cars of the time. They followed me in central Philly to by pass wreck. I hope they made it out, never seen them again.

Never follow a Cab over with a 48'.(1989)

The only good thing about cabovers is the turning radius and maybe the feel of Climbing up into one. I have driven many cabovers and loved the turning radius but not the ride. I have seen several Euro cabovers on movies like The Transporter and was appalled at the Roll of the cab when the truck swerved or took a corner. Europe can keep them. Just my two cents.

P.S. Besides that price is for a Used truck...go back and read it again Used and still nearly a half million dollars someone is full of bull come on.

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

Thats a heavy spec Actros, V8 engine and 70k planetary axles. Probably rated to pull over 200 tons, is a 2008 and most likely has very little miles. Go to kenworth and spec a C500 with SISU 70k axles, twin steer 20 axles and heavy double/triple frame and I bet your looking at over 500k. Just have a look at these late model used heavy spec kenworths and compare the prices. Hell a C500 with big planetary axles built for heavy hauling is close to a million.

mackdaddy1911a1 Posted Today, 10:46 AM

The only good thing about cabovers is the turning radius and maybe the feel of Climbing up into one. I have driven many cabovers and loved the turning radius but not the ride. I have seen several Euro cabovers on movies like The Transporter and was appalled at the Roll of the cab when the truck swerved or took a corner. Europe can keep them. Just my two cents.

P.S. Besides that price is for a Used truck...go back and read it again Used and still nearly a half million dollars someone is full of bull come on.

The transporter featured the Renault Magnum which is quite unique when compared to other European trucks. Most of the other makes have cab suspension options such as full 4 point air, half air and half spring or full spring and they don't wobble like the Magnum. Some makers feature a completely flat floor or have flat floor options (Renault Magnum, Mercedes Actros). Pretty much every maker features a super space cab that allows you to easily stand up and some you can stand on the engine tunnel and not bump your head.

As for the ride, depending on the cab suspension I bet they ride better then a conventional truck. Those Europeans aren't slackers and their length laws are quite strict. They took every effort to make those cab overs ride as smooth as possible. They also have to pass strict safety standards so front end collisions aren't as dangerous as you might think. I have never rode in one but there are a few Europeans who have driven both and they mostly agree that a Euro cabover rides better than a long hood Pete. Some can be specked to the point where they can ride like a Cadillac. As for mileage the new DAF XF105 and Mercedes can claim mileage upward of 10MPG with their new engine technology.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

hello guys thaddeusw has right the only thing thad we have cabovers is our lenght restrictions in the us they messure the trailer and in europe they messure the truck whit trailer.and true the years our roads are made for the smaller trucks also the roads on our industrial estates are smaller than in the us.i drive treu the week in a daf whit 4 point air on the cab synchronist gears and when i drive on bad roads i feel not so match.when i drive these same roads whit my superliner i feel every bump i cant put a small suitecase on the bed or it glides on the floor in the daf i can put everything on the bed and it stays there.its the love for MACK that keeps me having fun to drive my superliner its the other way of trucking.it starts to drive smooth when you pull a trailer and you have some weight on your back.the looks out off my superliner is nicer than out my daf.manny places where i come to load or unload are to small for big rigs.so you build your trucks on what kind off bussines there is.when you visit europe try to drive a europeen truck and tell us your experience greetings from the netherlands rene member off the DUTCHMACKFANCLUB MACK FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...

Cab Over sales took a nose dive up here in Canada after the length laws changed also. They had a bit of a resurgence here in Nova Scotia back in the 90's when B-Trains first started appearing due to the length laws but when they changed them to allow the longer conventional tractors to haul them, (we are limited here to 244" Wheelbase) sales dropped back off to practically zero.

USMCJimbo has it right, also. Drivers want to walk back and stand up in there bunks now days, not crawl over the dog house. And a long hood conventional will attract drivers where a COE definitely won't and even a short hood aerodynamic isn't all that welcome. Personally, I like a COE, especially doing tank work.

I think you can still get a special order Kenworth COE but from what I have heard they require something like a 50% down payment up front before they will even submit the order.

Cab Over sales took a nose dive up here in Canada after the length laws changed also. They had a bit of a resurgence here in Nova Scotia back in the 90's when B-Trains first started appearing due to the length laws but when they changed them to allow the longer conventional tractors to haul them, (we are limited here to 244" Wheelbase) sales dropped back off to practically zero.

USMCJimbo has it right, also. Drivers want to walk back and stand up in there bunks now days, not crawl over the dog house. And a long hood conventional will attract drivers where a COE definitely won't and even a short hood aerodynamic isn't all that welcome. Personally, I like a COE, especially doing tank work.

I think you can still get a special order Kenworth COE but from what I have heard they require something like a 50% down payment up front before they will even submit the order.

hello treedog the kenworth s cab overs are delivert whit europeen DAF cabs and kenworth still make the oilfield trucks whit the new DAF cab i believe it was in 2006 that there was a kenworth cabover whit a daf cab on the mid american trucking show in louisville greetings rene MACK FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...

hello treedog the kenworth s cab overs are delivert whit europeen DAF cabs and kenworth still make the oilfield trucks whit the new DAF cab i believe it was in 2006 that there was a kenworth cabover whit a daf cab on the mid american trucking show in louisville greetings rene MACK FOREVER

The Kenworth K500 now uses the DAF XF cab. Unfortunatly it is only available for offroad use, you cant spec a K500 for on road use in North America. I suppose the truck would have to go through safety testing but it makes little sense since the DAF cab is proven safe just about everywhere else outside of North America. Since pretty much every American truck makers is somehow related to a European truck company, they could offer special order cab overs. Would be nice to see something different for a change.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I would imagine this might have something to do with it:

:blink:

hi, other than the turning circle and the ease of reversing 2x 45 foot trailers up to the third they are bumpy things!, KWs are cramped, Volvos make you sea sick and freghtliners buck.

the price is about what we pay down here for a heavy duty prime mover.

Grant

• 7 months later...