Front End Ride Comfort..

QCDriver

Please help and use your, and our past knowledge on improvements. Thanks Doug..

Here is my problem..

I have an 01' CH613 day cab and yank a tanker around.

I'm looking to improve my steer axle ride, I've looked at Road King shocks, to replace my Monroe Gas. Monroe work fine but really fade quick and blow out.(warrenty is false @ Monroe)

OK, help me put your on common sense idea's on this.

Donvel steer air conversion. http://www.donvel.com/steeraxle.htm

The option is around $1200 with my shocks(250-300), with infinite setting with guage.

Or should just buy Road King shocks @ $600 a pair.

I'm looking for long term affects for ride. Now I please ask from us older,(BMT forum) guys in trucking. We never had these option's with our trucks, in the past.

OK, this is it, buy Donvel and Monroe gas Shocks, OR buy Road King High dollar shocks(knowing rebuilable.)

PRICE IS A FACTOR, but in the long term is WHAT I want, what way would you go?

Now with this info given, what would you do and Why?

I know coming here has to be right, for Common sense reply's, right? You own a Mack, LOL.

Please give my you .02-10k cents.

Thanks Doug

443-871-6907 for this or better idea.

Please help and use your, and our past knowledge on improvements. Thanks Doug..

Here is my problem..

I have an 01' CH613 day cab and yank a tanker around.

I'm looking to improve my steer axle ride, I've looked at Road King shocks, to replace my Monroe Gas. Monroe work fine but really fade quick and blow out.(warrenty is false @ Monroe)

OK, help me put your on common sense idea's on this.

Donvel steer air conversion. http://www.donvel.com/steeraxle.htm

The option is around $1200 with my shocks(250-300), with infinite setting with guage.

Or should just buy Road King shocks @ $600 a pair.

I'm looking for long term affects for ride. Now I please ask from us older,(BMT forum) guys in trucking. We never had these option's with our trucks, in the past.

OK, this is it, buy Donvel and Monroe gas Shocks, OR buy Road King High dollar shocks(knowing rebuilable.)

PRICE IS A FACTOR, but in the long term is WHAT I want, what way would you go?

Now with this info given, what would you do and Why?

I know coming here has to be right, for Common sense reply's, right? You own a Mack, LOL.

Please give my you .02-10k cents.

Thanks Doug

443-871-6907 for this or better idea.

Has the Ride Quality deteriorated to an unacceptable level over a period of time, or all at once. Has it been good at any time in the past. A shock absorber functions as a dampener on compression and rebound, nothing more. On a really rough highway nothing rides good. I've owned trucks with two long front springs, three long front springs, and different stacks of front springs. The best ride was a 72 Marmon cabover with 144" WB with a 12 spring pack and no shocks at all.

I've never really cared much whether a truck rides rough.

It's a truck, it has to be sprung heavy enough to do it's intended job without breaking anything, ride is not the primary consideration.

In my opinion, air ride is highly over rated regarding ride quality.

We've got IH Paystar heavy spec tractors on air ride where I work. These tractors pull 3 axle air ride lowboy trailers, and on a bumpy road they will launch your head into the ceiling.

Yes, the ride height is set to spec.

So much for that smooth air ride theory.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Has the Ride Quality deteriorated to an unacceptable level over a period of time, or all at once. Has it been good at any time in the past. A shock absorber functions as a dampener on compression and rebound, nothing more. On a really rough highway nothing rides good. I've owned trucks with two long front springs, three long front springs, and different stacks of front springs. The best ride was a 72 Marmon cabover with 144" WB with a 12 spring pack and no shocks at all.

Yes the ride goes away over time. Monroe gas shocks bring it back but don't last long. I'm looking to improve the ride over Monroe or factory shocks.

Guess I need to test drive a truck with air ride steer axle.

It's a truck, it has to be sprung heavy enough to do it's intended job without breaking anything, ride is not the primary consideration.

We've got IH Paystar heavy spec tractors on air ride where I work. These tractors pull 3 axle air ride lowboy trailers, and on a bumpy road they will launch your head into the ceiling.

Yep, to all the above, when it s too rough, you can slow down and ride it out, or speed up an get it over with. A fellow could end up with a permanent kink in his neck, from holding his head sideways to keep it from banging the roof.

Yes the ride goes away over time. Monroe gas shocks bring it back but don't last long. I'm looking to improve the ride over Monroe or factory shocks.

Guess I need to test drive a truck with air ride steer axle.

I've ridden in a couple of trucks with air ride on the steer axle and it can be nice. It works better with double shock absorbers. I've also talked to people that have doubled up the front shock absorbers on spring due to short life as you speak of. With the shock doubled, the failure rate goes away.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ok then hook a fellow Mack owner UP,?, I'll buy 3 pair. Can you do that????

I just did my shocks all of the way around a couple months ago. Went OEM Mack shocks in the rear...price was close to the Monroe's (which is what WAS on there when I bought the truck a year and a half ago), but the Monroe's would have had to have been ordered...Mack's were in stock (and I wanted to do the work that afternoon). For the fronts, though, went with the Monroe's...they had 'em in stock, and the pair of Monroe's were as much as Mack wanted for EACH of theirs :pat:

They don't take but a minute or two each to change...one nut on the top, another on the bottom...easy to get to, too. So I figure as long as they last at least 1/2 as long as the OEM shocks would normally last, I'm ahead of the game.

For all 6 shocks, I think my grand total was just a hair over $300. I'd have to dig out the receipts for the exact amount, but I'm pretty sure it was in that ballpark.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

QCdriver,

When I replaced the springs on my CX, I upgraded from Mack's standard 2 leaf to the middle option 3 leaf setup. There is also a heavier 3 leaf for 18,000lb axles, but that may be too stiff for a road tractor. I don't know what your truck has on it now, but a heavier spring will improve the lifespan of your shocks and tires. I also prefer the ride of the heavier spring because the front end is more under control and not bouncing all over the road. I am usually right at 12,000lb on my steer axle.

It is just a fact of life that shocks don't last very long. I am in the habit of replacing shocks whenever I put on new tires.

It is just a fact of life that shocks don't last very long. I am in the habit of replacing shocks whenever I put on new tires.

That is why I was asking about Road King shocks. I only know of 1 driver with them. He loves them, but never hauls alot of weight.

(20k-30k net.)

I don't have any experience with the road king shocks. The cost has kept me from trying them myself. But they are rebuildable, which means they last a lifetime. As I recall, they are not "DIY"; they must be sent to the manufacturer for rebuild. The downside to that, though, is the truck is down in order to send the shocks back for rebuild, unless you were to purchase 2 sets. This all seems to me more trouble than they might be worth.

In my own somewhat limited experience, an air-ride trailer makes the deal. I just pull dumps, one is 23' and the other 39'. I swapped out my 22' spring ride dump for an air-ride 23' this spring....night and day difference.

I will say though, that my dad's '88 r-model against my '97 CH w/air-ride, rides better loaded than mine does...but my air-ride rides better empty.

AND myself living in north-central Illinois (the pot-hole shitty road and where bridges are like table top jumps center of the universe), I do appreciate a good riding truck.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I don't have any experience with the road king shocks. The cost has kept me from trying them myself. But they are rebuildable, which means they last a lifetime. As I recall, they are not "DIY"; they must be sent to the manufacturer for rebuild. The downside to that, though, is the truck is down in order to send the shocks back for rebuild, unless you were to purchase 2 sets. This all seems to me more trouble than they might be worth.

I already asked what the turn around for rebuild. They said keep your old shocks for the rebuild, and should be a 1 1/2-2 week turn around. Sooner if you pay for 2nd day air both ways, then for sure a week.

I know the 2 monroe shocks for steer cost the same as buying 4 rear OEM shocks. I'm on my second pair of Monroes to 4drive shocks. 2nd pair were a warranty claim,but that was like pulling teeth from Monroe. They only want there dealer network to install them. What b/s, 2 bolts???

I already asked what the turn around for rebuild. They said keep your old shocks for the rebuild, and should be a 1 1/2-2 week turn around. Sooner if you pay for 2nd day air both ways, then for sure a week.

I know the 2 monroe shocks for steer cost the same as buying 4 rear OEM shocks. I'm on my second pair of Monroes to 4drive shocks. 2nd pair were a warranty claim,but that was like pulling teeth from Monroe. They only want there dealer network to install them. What b/s, 2 bolts???

Hi, put a sway bar on it? it wont do much in straight line, but may take a little stress off the the shocks on turns and extend there life?

thats my thoughts

Grant

Does your leaf spring shackles and front spring pin have grease fittings? If not, you have the Maintenance-Free spring pins. There is a Mack service bulletin "SB131006" about converting it over to the greasable style. It involves buying new springs, pins and shackles. We have done about 5 or 6 and it really improves ride or so the drivers say. It also gets rid of that loud "pop" noise at a low speed turn where the spring slaps the shackle. I just realized this is for CXN only models and you have a CX, let me do some more checking as they might have this for a CX.

I have the so called Maintenance-Free setup. My model is CH613.

I do have the 3 spring axle. I think I will be going to the Donvel air ride setup.

I spoke with the owner inventor of his product and offers an in writing, if we do not put a smile on your face in a few miles send it back for a full refund.

The whole conversion weights about 35#'s. I really do not know, the search continues. With the roads in Baltimore I need to find a Hoover Craft steer axle conversion.

:SMOKIE-LFT:

There's another option.

If your truck is beating you up on the road,take an OLD truck for a drive. I'll volunteer the use of my 1945 EH. 300 miles or so in a truck like that really helps you appreciate how much things have improved,and how hard it must have been driving truck back then. Still,with a decent set of tires on it,(and better brakes,and more power,and taller gearing,and electric wipers) my old Mack wouldn't be too bad to drive. It actually rides relatively decent on paved roads at road speed,but could use a little work on stutter-bump control.

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

• 2 weeks later...

:SMOKIE-LFT:

There's another option.

If your truck is beating you up on the road,take an OLD truck for a drive. I'll volunteer the use of my 1945 EH. 300 miles or so in a truck like that really helps you appreciate how much things have improved,and how hard it must have been driving truck back then. Still,with a decent set of tires on it,(and better brakes,and more power,and taller gearing,and electric wipers) my old Mack wouldn't be too bad to drive. It actually rides relatively decent on paved roads at road speed,but could use a little work on stutter-bump control.

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

Ok, to bad you live so far away. I'd jump on that. Trust me, I know old school trucks. First over the road truck was a Cabover, 1985 short WB.(what's airride?) Freightliner, driving alot of the PA turnpike and mountains in TN, WV to name a few, going to mines with special equipment. That was in late 80's.

My Mack springs still have a shape to them. Truck has 405K on it.

I thinks someone said here before, but I ask, is there a upgrade for shackles with grease fittings? I had truck in shop a few days with drive line problems, so I'm back on topic.