Truck Sitting

Purchased old superliner,setting for approx 5 years. I know there's mice. I'm sure someone has encountered this. Any ideas to drive(no pun intended) them out. Don't want to bring truck in garage to work on before dealing with problem. I have brand new shop and don't want it infested.

Purchased old superliner,setting for approx 5 years. I know there's mice. I'm sure someone has encountered this. Any ideas to drive(no pun intended) them out. Don't want to bring truck in garage to work on before dealing with problem. I have brand new shop and don't want it infested.

that was my first question here on BMT. Several people suggested shaving chips off a bar of Irish Spring soap and sprinkling it around inside the cab. Seemed to work for me. Some Bounce dryer sheets would probably work too.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Chlorine. I found this out when I put my pool chlorinator in the garage for winter. Pulled the lid off and let it sit. I've heard about the Irish Spring also. Moth balls might work but you'll kill the moth removing them! :lol:

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

The mice can nest almost anywhere in the truck.

I've had them in the brake drums, in the interiors, up in the dashboard.

Literally almost anyplace.

I just recently had an engine in the shop (an old 673P), which had set outside in the truck for years.

It would run, just wouldn't rev up. I thought the fuel pump was probably all gummed up,

so it was going to come apart for rebuilding.

Anyway - when the valve cover was taken off the rear head, it was packed full of mouse nest!

Probably gained access through a breather, but it sure surprised me.

So - the moral of the story is - Be careful that you get all of the mice out of the truck.

Maybe if you put yourself in a position of really needing the Irish Spring so bad that you couldn't stand yourself................ Hey - it's a thought.

Paul Van Scott

...So - the moral of the story is - Be careful that you get all of the mice out of the truck.

Maybe if you put yourself in a position of really needing the Irish Spring so bad that you couldn't stand yourself................ Hey - it's a thought.

Paul Van Scott

I thought the Irish Spring smelled so good i've been using it ever since. The only think I don't like is that I miss the old gear oil smell the truck used to have.

Chlorine. I found this out when I put my pool chlorinator in the garage for winter. Pulled the lid off and let it sit. I've heard about the Irish Spring also. Moth balls might work but you'll kill the moth removing them! :lol:

You have a pool? It's a wonder Rob hasn't come over and hid the chlorinator and stocked it with catfish.

12 gauge, number 4 shot, aim for ftont shoulder so they wont run off and die in some corner and stink

I've had very good luck with Napthalene, (moth balls) for long term storage if they are kept fresh by changing them quarterly. Then you need to let the vehicle "air out" for several hours/days till usage. To rid an infested vehicle I use "smoke bombs" inside the passenger compartment that are placed into a two foot section of pipe with a cap on one end to contain the flame. Rodents do not like smoke at all and they will scurry when they get a wiff of it. Do this out of doors. As you mention the infestation will take place in your new shop if done inside.

A steam cleaner/wrinkle remover such as used in a garment or drapery cleaning establishment works well also without any residual smell.

I splattered a pregnant female rat with a 4.10 shotgun in the shop a couple years ago. It was a mess and I had it cleaned up with a steam cleaner. Little bitch was "sashaying" across the shop and walked into the perimeter of the open overhead door where I blasted her.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rat shot in a 22 works real well with no or very little damage.

I've never heard of "Rat Shot". Is that a local term, or an actual marketing tool? I've not really had any infestations since. This one came in under the hood of a car that I'd towed in from a barn and had been sitting for a couple of years. I opened the hood and the critters went running. Took almost a month to catch and kill all of them.

On the old, old BMT board I had posted a photo of one of em hanging from the bulldog on my A40 dump truck just after I'd caught him with peanut butter and a trap. He was almost 14 inches long without the tail!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've never heard of "Rat Shot". Is that a local term, or an actual marketing tool? I've not really had any infestations since. This one came in under the hood of a car that I'd towed in from a barn and had been sitting for a couple of years. I opened the hood and the critters went running. Took almost a month to catch and kill all of them.

On the old, old BMT board I had posted a photo of one of em hanging from the bulldog on my A40 dump truck just after I'd caught him with peanut butter and a trap. He was almost 14 inches long without the tail!!

Rob

I've used rat shot in my .22-haven't even heard the term in years.Looks like a regular .22 cartrige but instead of having a bullet it's got shot in it and the end of it is crimped.

Rob

Rob, Not just a local thing. Check this out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat-shot

Rob, Not just a local thing. Check this out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat-shot

Hi David, thanks for the link. I had seen the product before but it was marketed for usage against snakes as the link stated. I've never seen it in .22 caliber, but have in 9mm, .357, and 44mag and it always had the blue plastic end.

Rob

I thought the Irish Spring smelled so good i've been using it ever since. The only think I don't like is that I miss the old gear oil smell the truck used to have.

Yea,

I tried the Irish Spring method also. The very next day I checked on the truck, looked inside and lo and behold the mice were laying around with their sunglasses on in their string bikini's. They had built a swimming pool and were using it for some R&R and bathing. So the moral to the story is.....if ya can't beat-em, join-em and so I did. Now I use Irish Spring also. I also have to get permission from the mice to use my truck on Sunday afternoon's only. :pat:

Regards!!!

mike

D-Con, mixed with peanut butter used for bait in the old fashioned snap-traps is the most effective removal method I have found.

Irish Spring and dryer sheets failed me, they merely caused loose bowels in the rodents. Mothballs have worked decently for prevention.

I have also used paintball and airsoft guns to hunt them but my accuracy with these "weapons" is questionable at best.

I've heard about a death machine that I've been itching to try, but have yet to build. You take a 5 gal. bucket, coffee can, and dowel. Put the dowel through the bucket with the coffee can perpendicular to the bucket, and on the dowel so it spins freely. You then coat half of the coffee can with peanut butter, fill the bucket with coolant, place a ramp up to the dowel, and wait. The mice/rats/etc should find their way into the coolant, and drown.

The mice/rats/etc should find their way into the coolant, and drown.

I do the same thing with a three pound coffee can used for an overflow collector on my "older" gensets. The overflow/expansion hose runs from the top of the radiator to the coffee can sitting on the floor that is about 1/2 full of anti freeze. The rodents love the sweet smell and drink it readily. They don't last long. I'm sure the ones that remain in the coolant drown on the stuff after they start convulsing internally.

I change the coolant twice per year and usually three to four little ones have met their demise there.

Rob

I've heard about a death machine that I've been itching to try, but have yet to build. You take a 5 gal. bucket, coffee can, and dowel. Put the dowel through the bucket with the coffee can perpendicular to the bucket, and on the dowel so it spins freely. You then coat half of the coffee can with peanut butter, fill the bucket with coolant, place a ramp up to the dowel, and wait. The mice/rats/etc should find their way into the coolant, and drown.

let's see- bucket can dowel perpindicular peanut butter ramp...crap,just send me a picture when you make yours!

Yea,

I tried the Irish Spring method also. The very next day I checked on the truck, looked inside and lo and behold the mice were laying around with their sunglasses on in their string bikini's. They had built a swimming pool and were using it for some R&R and bathing. So the moral to the story is.....if ya can't beat-em, join-em and so I did. Now I use Irish Spring also. I also have to get permission from the mice to use my truck on Sunday afternoon's only. :pat:

Regards!!!

mike

now you know what to do-leave them some peanut butter snack crackers and put antifreeze in their pool.

• 2 weeks later...

I would prefer something that chases 'em out;that way,there wouldn't be dead mice up on the headliner,behind the glovebox and in the seat cushions. It's hard enough digging the nests out of a truck without some mice crawling into unreachable places to die. I'm thinking if I get this 1955 GMC 550 dump truck I'm looking at,I'm just going to flat tow it straight to a car wash,hire some day-laborers ,equip them with dust masks and rubber gloves and have 'em clear out as much as they can,then feed a $20.00 into the car wash and steam-clean the Hell outta everything I can get a shot at. Don't know any other way to get it clean enough to be safe for me to work on.

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

I have an idea !!!!

Find yourself a Garder Snake. :rolleyes:

When I first got my 57 Chevy Panel van and I was cleaning it out to bring it in... It stunk like

mouse piss

There was mouse houses all over the truck.. But I didn't see one mouse :blink:

Couldn't understand why.. until I lifted the front floor mat, I found a FAT, and very HAPPY, Garter snake.

I quickly gave him his eviction notice, then brought the truck in my shop. :thumb:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/gt_ironman/IMG_1080.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/gt_ironman/IMG_1084-1.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/gt_ironman/IMG_1081-1.jpg

NICE AND CLEAN NOW

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/gt_ironman/IMG_1092-1.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/gt_ironman/IMG_0699.jpg

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.