Rare Mack Dm 800 On Ebay

Looks like a 12V71 DD engine

Yes it does to me also. Would be a little concerned why it was taken apart and not finished?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If the VIN is correct,it would have originally had a 237 Maxidyne,so that really doesn't make it that rare.

They really have no business tring to sell it as a collector or rare ,it has been to comprimised by engine swaps.

DM 865 SX ? I think 65 would be a cummins, a 237 would a DM 885, a GM would be DM 87x I think. Most Cummins engs are in the 6's. It could be a typo. Pretty early DM . There was only about 25 DM 865's built between 67 n 73... Regards Jeffro

You're right,Jeff,I read that VIN wrong.Guess my wife is right,I do need to think about getting glasses.

Anyone know how the VIN's are assigned? I am buying this truck and debating on installing a 865/6 or a Cummins. The first thing to go is the kangaroo killer. The second is the 12v71. Rob, let me know what you need for your project, maybe I can recoup some of my investment.

Anyone know how the VIN's are assigned? I am buying this truck and debating on installing a 865/6 or a Cummins. The first thing to go is the kangaroo killer. The second is the 12v71. Rob, let me know what you need for your project, maybe I can recoup some of my investment.

Hi David, I'm thinking that my 12V-71T is ready for the conversion. I've bought two 8V-71 engines for the needed ancillary parts like sheaves, brackets, and such. My engine has twin turbochargers and if this one is turbocharged, I might be interested in the engine complete, no matter the condition. I would like to relocate the turbo mountings on my engine is possible.

I can't say for sure on vin number assignment. I have my 73 RL797 and the serial is 19001. It is verified as the first RL797 built.

Did you do anything with the DMM that was burnt?

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Starting sometime back in the late 20's-early 30's,the first built of each model was #1001.The exception to this seems to be with the trucks built in Hayward,CA.They evidently just got numbered in sequence,no matter what model.Take Rob's RL797 for example,it should have been RL797LST1001,being it was the first of it's kind.

Starting sometime back in the late 20's-early 30's,the first built of each model was #1001.The exception to this seems to be with the trucks built in Hayward,CA.They evidently just got numbered in sequence,no matter what model.Take Rob's RL797 for example,it should have been RL797LST1001,being it was the first of it's kind.

I have to agree with Superdog as my other RL is RL755LST35359, and is the middle of only three trucks total produced. It is a 1978 Model.

Both were produced at Hayward, CA.

They musta done things a lot different out there.....

Rob

Hey guys, after reading this post, I had to confirm something. After working all day I went back to Building 3 at the Mahan Collection to see the DM in the collection, sure enough...DM865SX1001...yes that's correct, the first one off the line. I asked Gary and he said I should let you folks know that there was a 1001 built and sold to the general public. I'll have pics to post tonight. Jim

Thanks for the VIN info. Rob, the burnt truck is also a DM800. It has a V8 and 12 sp. It also has a lot of parts to complete this project.

Hi David, I fat fingered the second M in the typing. The burnt one will be an excellent donor for this one. Are you going to use the Allison, or go with the 12?

Rob

B66, thanks for the picture.

Rob, I guess the trans will depend which engine I go with. The Cummins/auto would be more original.

I may be interested in the 12 speed if it is an o/d unit.

Rob

Rob, Bring a trailer down here and I'll load it up. The 12V, the 12 sp, a set of frame rails,.............

Hi David, I'll give you a call tomorrow if I can get off the field.

Thanks,

Rob

• 2 months later...
Does this VIN mean it was the second DM800 or the second with a Cummins? Do all VIN production numbers start with 1001?

I think it means the 2nd with a Cummins something,from what I can gather if it is a B 615'T' 1001 the next one could be a B 615 'ST' 1002 then 3rd could be B 615 'SX' 1003 there could be ten all the same thru to 1013 then there could be a B 615 'X' 1014 but it would change if it was a B 61'3' T eg 1001 B 61'3' ST 1002 B613'SX'1003, so long as its a B 615 or a B 613 or a DM 865 I dont think it matters what it is behind the cab. Thats what I reckon. Regards Jeffro .