Rare Mack Dm 800 On Ebay

Rob, Bring a trailer down here and I'll load it up. The 12V, the 12 sp, a set of frame rails,.............

I completely forgot about this. Must be getting old......

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Uuuuummmm, I may be way off base here and I do NOT claim to be an expert, but, I thought the offset cab tractors were called "U" models? This could have originally been a dump or mixer and was later changed to a tractor. This truck is so not original that I would think it was converted to a yard dog. :idunno:

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

No, thanks.

So what kind of trans did you decide to put in the truck when you reassemble it?

The Cummins already has a RT14609 attached. I think that's what we 'll use. This auto turned out to be a 5800 series. They were used in 50 ton off road dumps in the 60's.

Uuuuummmm, I may be way off base here and I do NOT claim to be an expert, but, I thought the offset cab tractors were called "U" models? This could have originally been a dump or mixer and was later changed to a tractor. This truck is so not original that I would think it was converted to a yard dog. :idunno:

All DM models are offset cabs. This one looks like it has always been a heavy haul tractor.

I think the only DM's we had in Oz were 800's, from what I can workout the 800's have a chassis with a sraight thru profile like a B 80 series,and only have steel fronts. The 600's have a profile like a B model except deeper at the front and have fibreglass or steel fronts. The U's have an R model chassis and I have only seen them in fibreglass fronts. I think the U's are basically an offset cab R model. Regards jeffro

I think the only DM's we had in Oz were 800's, from what I can workout the 800's have a chassis with a sraight thru profile like a B 80 series,and only have steel fronts. The 600's have a profile like a B model except deeper at the front and have fibreglass or steel fronts. The U's have an R model chassis and I have only seen them in fibreglass fronts. I think the U's are basically an offset cab R model. Regards jeffro

That brings up something I was wondering about:

How did that work in Australia with the DM/U model cabs being offset to the "wrong side" to be compatible with driving on the left side of the road?

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

The Cummins already has a RT14609 attached. I think that's what we 'll use. This auto turned out to be a 5800 series. They were used in 50 ton off road dumps in the 60's.

Sounds like a good choice.

All DM models are offset cabs. This one looks like it has always been a heavy haul tractor.

The offset cab set-up in a straight truck application (dump/mixer) is called a "DM" . These were introduced in 1966. The offset cab tractor was introduced in 1965 as the "U" model to replace the "C" series. Page 144 of the History of Mack Trucks by Brownell. The only thing that I have seen on this truck that looks DM is the large opening in the front fender for the wheel. The U series used a fiberglass hood/fender that looked like modified R parts. So it is a DM due to the fender but is was converted to a tractor.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

wow i have learned some thing new

The offset cab set-up in a straight truck application (dump/mixer) is called a "DM" . These were introduced in 1966. The offset cab tractor was introduced in 1965 as the "U" model to replace the "C" series. Page 144 of the History of Mack Trucks by Brownell. The only thing that I have seen on this truck that looks DM is the large opening in the front fender for the wheel. The U series used a fiberglass hood/fender that looked like modified R parts. So it is a DM due to the fender but is was converted to a tractor.

wow i have learned some thing new

Actually there is no difference between a DM chassis that is a dump truck or mixer, and a DM chassis that is a tractor.

It's just that instead of having a dump body ot mixer mounted on the chassis, a DM tractor has a 5th wheel and hookups for trailer air & electric.

The DM800 had exclusively the steel fenders & butterfly hood.

The DM 400 & 600 were available with either the steel fenders & hood, or the fiberglass nose that was like a U model.

EVERYTHING ON THIS TRUCK "LOOKS DM" INCLUDING THE VIN (DM865SX1002). MANY DM MODELS CAME FROM THE FACTORY AS TRACTORS.

That brings up something I was wondering about:

How did that work in Australia with the DM/U model cabs being offset to the "wrong side" to be compatible with driving on the left side of the road?

HK, thats a point, because the DM's were'nt easy to convert to RHD the R 800 was a more popular choice particularly for hwy use. I dont think any DM 600's landed here. There were no U's, as they were a hwy truck I'm sure and offset cab Macks could'nt be converted to RHD without being silly. We had R 600 RSX's for heavy duty 600's. DM 800's were used for off hwy use and oil field work but the R 800 was the choice, thats what I reckon. Regards Jeffro.

HK, thats a point, because the DM's were'nt easy to convert to RHD the R 800 was a more popular choice particularly for hwy use. I dont think any DM 600's landed here. There were no U's, as they were a hwy truck I'm sure and offset cab Macks could'nt be converted to RHD without being silly. We had R 600 RSX's for heavy duty 600's. DM 800's were used for off hwy use and oil field work but the R 800 was the choice, thats what I reckon. Regards Jeffro.

Wow I have learned something new to day