Radio And Speakers In Macks

That's the first upgrade I would do if I drove truck! It's a long lonely road without good tunes! LOL

In my B you would not be able to hear a radio. but the radio was a in the roof mount where you whant it

and it had the antania on top that wkent thru the roof and the radio was held up by the antana and the spear was in side the radio so you want it close to you head to hear and then you would hit a bump in the road and now you head has sores .That is on a B I wolked for the Tulsa Mack in the mid 60s and have installed

alot of then on new trucks the B was still in production when I started out as a mechanic. Glenn Akers

glenn akers

I purchased a CB and installed it in my newly restored B.

Unfortunately the cab is so noisy I could not hear anything (the speaker was mounted in the centre of the dash) even with volume up and squelch off.

As soon as I got home I took the unit out.

And for long trips (over 5 minutes) I wear earmuffs in the cab. NOISY!!

BUT I still love the old girl!!

Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

Thad- I have a big powerful system in my B67- you would like. But FIRST- you have to put in many pounds of Sound Down (or equavalent) marine sound/heat insulation. Mine is 1 1/2" thick outside firewall, 1" thick insode firewall, and all around cab, including ceiling and doors. CD player and CB mount in fabricated ceiling console, big powered sub woofer mounts behind driver sear, small tweeters and midrange speakers mount behind head of driver/pass in the cabin bulkhead, larger woofers mount in kick panel at your feet, righr and left.

You can do this upgrade even in an old Mack- but you must be scrupulous in eliminating noise.

In my superdog i have an awesome system i put 2 regular 6" speakers in the original speaker spots and then i added two subs in between the seats and then put 6"x9" speackers in the bottom corners of the back of the cab.

Chad

Sweet!

That setup must sound nice. Are the subs one of those bazooka tubes with the two subs on each side? And does the radio in a newer R cab have the older shaft style mount or can you put in a more modern DIN style radio? I would put in an mp3 cd radio.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Thad- I have a big powerful system in my B67- you would like. But FIRST- you have to put in many pounds of Sound Down (or equavalent) marine sound/heat insulation. Mine is 1 1/2" thick outside firewall, 1" thick insode firewall, and all around cab, including ceiling and doors. CD player and CB mount in fabricated ceiling console, big powered sub woofer mounts behind driver sear, small tweeters and midrange speakers mount behind head of driver/pass in the cabin bulkhead, larger woofers mount in kick panel at your feet, righr and left.

You can do this upgrade even in an old Mack- but you must be scrupulous in eliminating noise.

Sounds like you got a real kickin system too :thumb:

My question is how much quieter is your B cab now then it was originally? I used to drive this POS isuzu NPR and man it was loud, talking to the passanger gave you a sore throat. Radio was useless at highway speeds.

-Thad

i hear paccarnut on the detroit im a mck man but weve had other trucks ((ie autocar & gmcs ) w/ jimmy motors lord love the sound of a 2 stroke esp underpasses & in a hard pull my favs are 353 238 (671) & 318 (8v71) & 6v92

yall have a safe one

bulldog

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Ya'll are going to hate me for this, but I have an mp3/Cd player in my superliner with a sub behind the pass seat. I also have an indash DVD player. With my two straight 6" pipes, you can't hear the radio too well when you aren't in overdrive, lol. But like Superdog said, "Who needs a radio when you have all that beautiful music coming out of the stack?"

Ya'll are going to hate me for this, but I have an mp3/Cd player in my superliner with a sub behind the pass seat. I also have an indash DVD player. With my two straight 6" pipes, you can't hear the radio too well when you aren't in overdrive, lol. But like Superdog said, "Who needs a radio when you have all that beautiful music coming out of the stack?"

Ah the old guys never get us young'ns lol.

Nothing like the sound of a diesel but sometimes you need a change. Besides you can torture everyone around you with not only strait pipes while rolling but what ever god awful music your playing while stopped lol. Some of the stuff I listen to would clear out a foot ball stadium in 10 seconds flat. They would then come back with with torches, pitchfork and a preist to exorcise the cd player :D .

-Thad

Ah the old guys never get us young'ns lol.

Nothing like the sound of a diesel but sometimes you need a change. Besides you can torture everyone around you with not only strait pipes while rolling but what ever god awful music your playing while stopped lol. Some of the stuff I listen to would clear out a foot ball stadium in 10 seconds flat. They would then come back with with torches, pitchfork and a preist to exorcise the cd player :D .

Hey Thad, God bless your generation! And I love that explanation about your style of music. Truth be told, back when I was first runnin' equipment I loved the sound of that 8" stack only 5' in front of me on the first D8 I ran. Problem was I could still hear it 12 midnight when I was tryin' to get some sleep and today I still walk around sayin' "Huh, what did you say?" alot. :blink: Bob

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

Sweet!

That setup must sound nice. Are the subs one of those bazooka tubes with the two subs on each side? And does the radio in a newer R cab have the older shaft style mount or can you put in a more modern DIN style radio? I would put in an mp3 cd radio.

hey thad,Thanks ya i have a cd mp3 player radio in it too mounted on thr roof of the cab

Chad

user posted image

In Dash DVD?? We need to see some pics of that! LOL sounds cool... :thumb:

:ttiwwop:

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

In Dash DVD?? We need to see some pics of that! LOL sounds cool... :thumb:

:ttiwwop:

Eh, it's just a portable dvd player mounted on top of my cb that plays through the trucks speakers. I had the one that stuck to the dash on the right side panel, but it kept on falling off when I bobtailed. That camel back has got to go! :angry: But it looks neat. I'll put a pic up tho.