Showing My Disappointment

Ok, call me crazy, but mack has lost a new customer. I am 21 and there are NO trucks in the mack line up that impress me. I love long hoods and setforward axles. I hate to see the darn engine tucked up under or into the cab. The CH's hood is too short for me. Every other truck line has at least one or two long hood trucks. I have a superliner and I think it will be my first and last Mack. It's getting harder and harder trying to find non ragged out superliner at a good price. I will be in the market for a new or newer truck within the next two years. Possibly a glider. It will not be a mack. It might have a mack drivetrain though. you can't beat 'em :thumb: . Can anyone relate?

I had the same feelings about mack untill they started advertising the Rawhide. Even tho its just a chrome package option it really dresses up a mack and allows it to get in the marked for owner operaters looking to add some style. I think the biggest hurdle for mack was to prove it comfort and style for over the road tractors.. I dont know about most but I always thought that mack was a much better vocational and local short haul truck.. untill the CH was introduced I rarely saw a mack with a sleeper. I think that that was a difficult transition for Mack to prove that they dont just make a great on/off road truck.. Hopefully they can continue to introduce models that retain some of the "old school " look that owner operators will want to own

Trent

Long hoods are nice till you get into some dock that is 65 ft witha 53 ft van/.MyCH has a 198" WB,42" bunk and fits almost any where a day cab will.I like set back axle as I run 80,000 gross and can put 12,000 on the steering no problem.My 96 is all Mack ,427,18 speed ,38 rears and made alot of money.My advice is buy a truck to make money,most of the B61's we all like so much were fleet trucks when they were new.

Pete

Well, i don't pull 53 footers all the time. I understand what you are saying. When i do pull one i just drop them in a parking lot. I mostly pull my 34' dumptrailer. Sometime this year my superliner will have a 290"-300" wheel base. Im not just a steering wheel holder. I like looking good and breaking necks too. I like the long hoods also because of the ease of working on the thing. I hate how my dad's trucks are so difficult to work on because of how tight it is under the hood. That's just my preference. Now there is one truck, the Volvo VT880, that has a set back axle that i like.

Well, i don't pull 53 footers all the time. I understand what you are saying. When i do pull one i just drop them in a parking lot. I mostly pull my 34' dumptrailer. Sometime this year my superliner will have a 290"-300" wheel base. Im not just a steering wheel holder. I like looking good and breaking necks too. I like the long hoods also because of the ease of working on the thing. I hate how my dad's trucks are so difficult to work on because of how tight it is under the hood. That's just my preference. Now there is one truck, the Volvo VT880, that has a set back axle that i like.

No offense,but if you like the looks of the Volvo VT better than a CH or Vision,you been sniffing too many paint fumes.

I would pick a nice CH over the Volvo also. I saw the inside of a Volvo at Walcott and it looked just as nice as the Mack Rawhide? or whatever model it was next to it. I do however think that the Volvos do look better than the Freight liner century or KWs T2000?bubble trouble model.. Im not a pete fan but am glad that they have kept the flat top hood models. something to look at.

No offense,but if you like the looks of the Volvo VT better than a CH or Vision,you been sniffing too many paint fumes.

Hahaha. That's what my dad and grandpa keep telling me, right after he said, "There's no way you could have come from my loins." Quoating Jackie Gleason.

the mack cl already has the rw frame

the cl has a longer hood then pete 379ex

the cl with an e7 has 18 inches between the block and the cab witch is nice for easy air shift line repair

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

wait another year and i think you;ll see mack with a superliner or titan here in the states to replace the cl. it will be powered by the mp10 625 hp engine .you;ll be sorry if you dont.

I hope for the same thing! The grille on the trident/titan/superliner is reminicent of the old superliner grille. Big square grille with MACK across the top. The rawhide is nice but nothing more then a fancy CH. Bring back the superliner name! Take the new cab they have, put a strait hood on it with the titan grille and they could have a flagship truck for vocational or longhaul.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Yes Mack and Renault decided not to have a cl axle forward and this same partnership decided we didn’t need the rw anymore

The titian is Australian’s version of one Mack model it’s all Mack the titian has been out long before Volvo even came into Mack’s office

Mack hasn't built a hyper long hood truck because the Mack engine is compact and will fit under a normal length hood.

Thats because mack engines are at most 12 liters and about 50 or so inches long. The v8 e9 was compact enough to fit under shorter hoods. The Superliner had a 123 inch long bbc just 5 inches short of the pete 379 127" bbc long hood. The CL Has a 123" BBC and the Volvo VT880 with the D16 has about a 123" bbc. The titan has about a 120+ inch bbc. I bet with the intro of the mp 10 we will se a 120+ bbc. Probably as long as a CL hood.

-Thad

Long hoods are nice till you get into some dock that is 65 ft witha 53 ft van/.MyCH has a 198" WB,42" bunk and fits almost any where a day cab will.I like set back axle as I run 80,000 gross and can put 12,000 on the steering no problem.My 96 is all Mack ,427,18 speed ,38 rears and made alot of money.My advice is buy a truck to make money,most of the B61's we all like so much were fleet trucks when they were new.

Pete

Good advice Pete, I couldn't agree more with you. That's the main reason why I continue to work my B & DM, cause they make money.

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

The CL has the RW frame but not with the axle foward.

Did the Titan come from Marmon or did Volvo engineers come up with it on their own?

It wouldnt knock it. It was introduced in 1995 well before volvo had anything to do with mack. Big grille, hood and raised cab to help with cooling in the hot desert of the outback. You need some real good cooling while pulling 170+ ton road trains with a 610hp E9.

-Thad

I concur on the maneuverability concerns- the Minneapolis Main Post Office where I used to run the spotting tractor has an indoor loading dock designed for a 45' trailer and a non sleeper tractor. It's tolerable with a 175" wheelbase CH and a 48' trailer, but the guys who come in with the large cars and 53' trailers often spend 15 minutes backing in. The CH or Vision with a small sleeper or similar Volvo integral sleeper usually only need 5 minutes. The Post Office drivers with a MR cabover (110" or 135" wheelbase) generally get backed in first try in less than a minute.

Of I were buying a new Mack tractor to pull a dump trailer it'd be a Granite with Maxidyne/Maxitorque combo driving Mack rears on air ride...

The "Steam Roller" project is scheduled for a 2009 MY debut. (January 2008) Mack has extended the agreement with Cummins and the CL will stay in production through the end of this production year (2007my). We will go 12 months (jan07-dec07) without a high horsepower-high gross truck/tractor. Leaving this market entirely would force the closing of some Mack dealerships that sell mostly on-off highway product to high horsepower users. Losing dealers from the network is not good for the future of Volvo or Mack. Mack dealers have been advised to order enough stock to get them through the gap leading up to the new model being ready.

The "Steam Roller" project is scheduled for a 2009 MY debut. (January 2008) Mack has extended the agreement with Cummins and the CL will stay in production through the end of this production year (2007my). We will go 12 months (jan07-dec07) without a high horsepower-high gross truck/tractor. Leaving this market entirely would force the closing of some Mack dealerships that sell mostly on-off highway product to high horsepower users. Losing dealers from the network is not good for the future of Volvo or Mack. Mack dealers have been advised to order enough stock to get them through the gap leading up to the new model being ready.

I don't think information on this project should be shared on the internet. If you think you have or have information that could hurt Mack think twice before posting it on the internet where anyone can read it.

Alot of these issues are still being worked out.

My opinion only

Mack is not pushin to sell cl to start with its all cv,cvp,ct and ctp

Volvo came up with the idea not to offer a mack engine in a cl

and I feel that killed sales

Mack people want pure breeds

If volvo gets rid of the cl I dont think its going to change nothing

If the dog is not gold pass it on

I agree with MackCL96,

The CL is the top dog in the "C" sieres. kinda like the RW superliners of the "R" family. If you get what im trying to say. ;) I dont see alot CL running around. Most of the new macks I see in the dirt are CHs with 427s or 350s mack power.

I think it would be sad if they kill off the CL but with slow sales it wont make a big diffrence unless a high Hp mack engine is offered. I hope that volvo offers there new 625 HP badged as a Mack. One thing mack has lacked lately is a high HP engine (500+) I know most dirt trucks dont need all that HP but if people our buying lowboy trucks to haul heavy loads it would be smart for Mack to get back in on that high HP market..