the engine on the DM800 was under the hood with flat firewall. 

the DM 600 had two cylinders in the cab with the doghouse covering the engine

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

OK, that’s what I was looking for as I mentioned I had never been in one. I thought maybe it didn’t have the doghouse which would give you a lot more legroom is probably easier to work on. Thanks for that. Happy Saturday wooHoo

Posted (edited)

The offset cabs were not built to improve visibility.  They were like that because the nose was shorter which pushed the engine (and its doghouse) farther back into the cab, robbing footroom from the driver.  Therefore, offsetting the cab meant that the driver gained back the lost footroom.  However, passenger's footroom in an offset was poor.  I drove many offsets (all DM's) over the years.  

Edited by Jeff M
  • Like 2

Well, it goes to show me that what I was told by an old timer 20+ years ago wasnt quite right..  Too funny,  I cant tell you how many guys I told that the DM was offset for visibilty while backing up, because of the trucks application..  Never even gave a thought to engine position...   Thanks for the info..   Jojo

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 5:32 PM, JoeH said:

Don't know about other DM's but this one definitely has 2 cylinders cooking away inside the cab.

KIMG2009.JPG

you haven't experienced fun till you change a starter in DM600/ U model. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Well, it goes to show me that what I was told by an old timer 20+ years ago wasnt quite right..  Too funny,  I cant tell you how many guys I told that the DM was offset for visibilty while backing up, because of the trucks application..  Never even gave a thought to engine position...   Thanks for the info..   Jojo

it was recently posted here the U model replaced the C model . to obtain the short wheelbase for city delivery/ longer trailers.  I never thought of that or maybe I did and forgot.   using the same cab for the U's/ DM600 and DM 800 was a smart move on part of Mack boys. the DM 800 I drove part-time was not only majestic looking going down the highway ; but lunch time the large front fenders made a comfortable seat while the hood became a dining room table. LOL  at 6'1" I could climb in the engine compartment on the 800 and close the hood with room to spare. that DM811SX was sporting a 673. not the 864

• Like 2

On 5/28/2024 at 5:57 PM, Joey Mack said:

Hey Mack , salesman told me here ago. He wasn’t sure what the deal was but he heard it was visibility. I don’t know either, but that made sense to me.

i never owned a U and always wondered if cabs were identical with DM and R models. i do know one difference you can spot them, if the cabs off chassis and cant tell if its offset.  DM  or/and U( i think) .....they have passenger mirror attached to cab and not door. which is odd the brochure listed earlier shows a U cab with mirrors on the door. which would hit the air cleaner. looks like preventing you from opening door for easy ingress/egress...... mmmm odd. maybe a change after first year idk??

You can still tell it's an offset if the cab is off. Different firewall than an R model and the hood alignment ledge is different.

I can't find where you're talking about in the brochure having passenger mirrors attached to doors, I can't imagine they even built one truck that way other than prototype. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 6:16 PM, mrsmackpaul said:

Dunno if this link work's or not

A V8 was a option, all interesting stuff to me

Paul

Page 4! Showing off the in door washer fluid reservoir has mirror attached to door..odd!

Goodness that blue u looks good

Edited by glenbjackson

I see it what you mean it looks like it’s connected to the door it’s actually bolted to the breather on mine later years, it was connected to the roof. I actually have that picture of the turquoise one in my computer screen saver thanks for that

After a hand full of clutch jobs in DM's, the first thing I do is take the right door off. And the last models made, if you had to pull the rear valve cover, and it has Jacobs engine brakes, you had to remove the right cab mount and jack the cab up to get the valve cover off.

• Like 2

The doors on the standard R model cab out here will hit the air cleaners if the stops aren't bolted on the hinges

The door opening size stopped a lotta bigger drivers enjoying the Mack world 

Paul

8 hours ago, glenbjackson said:

i never owned a U and always wondered if cabs were identical with DM and R models. i do know one difference you can spot them, if the cabs off chassis and cant tell if its offset.  DM  or/and U( i think) .....they have passenger mirror attached to cab and not door. which is odd the brochure listed earlier shows a U cab with mirrors on the door. which would hit the air cleaner. looks like preventing you from opening door for easy ingress/egress...... mmmm odd. maybe a change after first year idk??

It's an optical illusion the mirrors DON"T mount to the door on passenger side. the mirrors mount to the air cleaner tube and the air cleaner tube has a V bracket on top which mounts to the rain gutter area of cab. looking at pictures appears to be one brace assembly= it is not. passenger doors on U/DM's don't ; never did open fully. and YES it was: is a PIA to access engine or interior from passenger side.  would be great to hear from U/ Dm owners having right hand drive units. 

• Like 1

Another difference in the cab is the recess in the left rocker on a U (and I assume the DM) that the R does not have.

Sorry, the best pics that I have of each model in my collection.

U model Macks - Copy.jpg

WFB fleet 1978e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1