East Coast Earthquake

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/at00sbh3yv/executive

Had a bit of a shake here in the Eastern Pennsylvania/NJ/NY area. A 4.8 quake with an epicenter of Lebanon (Hunterdon County) New Jersey hit this morning and kinda rattled everyone- we just don't get those around here. I was in Collegeville Pa and didn't feel anything but the cops on the other side of the building came over to my side and said that their filing cabinets were all shaking and banging against one another. Then my kid calls and said that the house (in Hellertown Pa. only 30 miles from the epicenter) shook for at least 15 seconds. And he said it wasn't little "tri axle full of rock going past the house shaking" it was heavy shaking!

News reports a few minutes later said it was felt from Ct all the way to Va.

• Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

today makes #6 that i have felt. 

and i have to say the one back in 79, and the one in 08 were a lot worse, because i was only 15 miles away from the epicenter. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

just had an aftershock less than 1 minute ago.

just saw on news it was not an aftershock, but a 4.0 centered about 4 miles from the one this am.

• Like 1

I dunno if it is changing or not, I do wonder if we just find out about everything so much quicker

Gotta remember it was only a life time ago news like this never would of reached Australia and today I find out in a matter of hours

I remember going to A.I.M.S (Australian Institute of Marine Science) about 50 km south of Townsville on the north eastern coast of Australia 

I learnt heaps at the open day, I  got talking to a scientist fellow and asked about global warming and climate change 

He proceeded to slide out these large trays, maybe 6 or 7 feet long and the had core samples from the Great Barrier reef

He explained how the reef grows a fresh layer each year, just like a tree grows another ring

And by the colours of each layer they can tell how wet or how dry the Tropical Monsoon wet season was, the sediment washed out to sea leaves a layer on the reef and this changes the colour 

He went onto explain we have had over 50 years in a row drier than we have ever seen and also 50 years  in a row wetter than we have ever seen

So is the east coast of Australia getting hotter ? Still to early to tell

Yet in NewZealand, down the bottom end of the south island the glaciers are retreating at a fast rate of knots

So I have no idea

To me, the sun feels hotter and as soon as I stop Im looking for shade 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bottom line Paul it’s all God‘s work as years go on everything changes Global warming is man-made by idiots that don’t have a clue cheers bro ha ha always a pleasure hearing from you. I start my weekend couldn’t come quick enough…. Bob

• Like 1

after looking at a us geological chart last night i saw New Jersey has had over 30 earthquakes in the past 15 years. over 300 in the past 60 years. lucky for us almost all have been small, in the 1 or 2 ratings. 

so apparently earthquakes are not as rare here as everyone says they are. 

• Like 1

Personally I believe that this "Climate change" of getting warmer is all a natural occurrence.. If you look at history in the US, The winters have been getting progressively milder.. Washington had Ice in the Delaware River when he  crossed it in the Revolutionary war..  I am not saying the modern industrial era has NOT helped it!!!

Is the planet still coming out of the ICE AGE?????  Remember that much of it was Tropical when the Dinosaurs roamed the land!!! How else do we have OIL in Alaska???

• Like 1

Brocky

guess we can try to be positive and go with the idea this climate change is nature doing its thing. many scientist believe a meteor hit this planet causing a dust cloud which wipe out the dinos. which started the ice age. can't confirm that theory due to believe it or not  I wasn't there; I showed up few years later. no matter what did it or continues to do it;; as kid I remember when winters were long and cold  with lots of snow. not much snow few years in CT.

i WAS here when dinosaurs roamed the earth. as a matter of fact, i rode my pet brontosaur to school.....uphill both ways...........in the snow. 
and those scientists are full of dung. it was not a "big bang" dust cloud that killed them off, it was our taste of dino meat. 

we simply ate them all. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

guess we can try to be positive and go with the idea this climate change is nature doing its thing. many scientist believe a meteor hit this planet causing a dust cloud which wipe out the dinos. which started the ice age. can't confirm that theory due to believe it or not  I wasn't there; I showed up few years later. no matter what did it or continues to do it;; as kid I remember when winters were long and cold  with lots of snow. not much snow few years in CT.

We used to get chill blains as kids, I still have the scars on my toes, dad had scars on his ears from when he was kid

All the puddles would ice over 

Mt brother now farms within a few miles of were this all happened and he never see's ice in puddles in winter anymore

I don't feel the changes are as sharp, as in between winter and spring, spring and summer and back into autumn as they once were

Those changes were very defined and mother nature didn't muck about

I reckon some volcano in south America erupted in the late 90's and spewed as much crap into the atmosphere in a few days that we put there in couple of hundred years

Everything we do must have an effect, is it a big enough effect to cause the changes we are having ? No one knows for sure

Scientists rely on funding to get grants to research

To get money they need, a issue that's so big it out shadows everything else is needed

Who remembers the hole in the ozone layer

The radiation from microwaves was gunna kill us all

Everyone was gunna die of aids 8n the 80s

The W2K bug when the clocks ticked over midnight to the year 2000

The rising sea levels 

There's a long list of stuff that was gunna change our world that got bucket loads of funding 

Did the funding change any of the out comes ? I think it probably did, but to how much, we will never know 

Maybe today's world we like to have something to blame when ever anything bad happens ?

I hope the earthquakes and tremors have settled down

Paul

• Like 1

Here in NH we have an "lce in / lce out watch on Lake Winnipesaukee. (Win-ah-paw-saw-key)  lol  Say it fast! The largest lake in the state. They have a pilot fly over to check the amount of ice at five ports of call for the MV Mt. Washington. When its ice free and passable for the Mt. Washington it's ice out! This year it was out early. Note who the sponsor is on this link. ha   .....Hippy

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/index.php?pageid=iceout 

Edited by 70mackMB
  • Like 1

did you bet in the pool??  In Rangeley, ME..  we could buy square's in May for when ''Ice Out'' was called on Rangeley lake..  Just sayin'

On Big Moose lake in the Adirondack mountains of NYS, they used to place a weighted 55 gal drum out on the ice and the 2 bars that had picture windows facing the lake always had a lottery / pool as to when the drum went down!! Even  to the hour!!!

Brocky