Ol' Time Snow Removal

70mackMB

l remember when l was a wee lad. They sanded the roads with a small towed spinner unit. lt was hung from the top of the tailgate with chains. The chains were adjusted so when the dump body was down it lifted the unit off the ground. Raising the body would let the small wheel(s) touch the ground. The spinner was driven by friction of the wheel under the spinner or a gear box. The guys would shovel over the tailgate and into the spreader. Couple of years ago there were three at the NH state auction. At the end of the top video (Portland Me.) there is one as the truck is driving away. Hard to see it in the shadows till it's in the sun light and only for a split second.    .....Hippy

• Like 1
  • Like 1

In the 18 years I have lived in central N.C. ...   It has snowed less here (total in 18 years) than in any individual big storm I saw in Maine.  Sometimes I miss the big storms, but when i was living there it was like having a part time job, just moving snow..  If it happened here now 8''+ it would just be fun to play around in it..  anyway,,,  Just pokin' some fun...   jojo

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

if you got two inches there, half the cars and trucks in the state would end up in junk yards because people dont know how to drive anymore.

from what I'm seeing in CT lately; it doesn't take snow or rain;;could be a bright sunny day and the idiots still don't know how to drive. 3 lane roads become 4 as idiots race up the shoulder to get in front of 2 or 3 cars. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow hippie that’s some horrible. Shit, we got a big one coming here but it’s mostly on Donner Pass. Thier saying possibly 6 inches or so down here I don’t know. Looks like the DMwill have to sit. A little while havent done anything to it at all this week on vacation but I was taking care of legal matters and tearing down a shed Joey I have no use for it. I realize it’s God gift but all I see is long shifts entire chains, and no sleep. And Mecho?????!?I know you’re on board with that one lol bob

• Like 1

news this am ; and still taking place is an accident on I-84  which two tractor trailers collided  went off the road and into a pond!! one is upside down .. how the h=lll can two units going same direction collide ?? short of a miracle if driver survived upside down submerged. years back saw what was left of a brockway which went over embankment into river. ended up straight up and down. trailer crushed the cab to less than 1 1/2 ft. driver never had a chance. think I'm off topic again, sorry.

2 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Wow hippie that’s some horrible. Shit, we got a big one coming here but it’s mostly on Donner Pass. Thier saying possibly 6 inches or so down here I don’t know. Looks like the DMwill have to sit. A little while havent done anything to it at all this week on vacation but I was taking care of legal matters and tearing down a shed Joey I have no use for it. I realize it’s God gift but all I see is long shifts entire chains, and no sleep. And Mecho?????!?I know you’re on board with that one lol bob

you better hurry up and finish the DM;;you can mount a plow on front for snow removal. LOL

Mech, Same down here: Last Saturday night on I-26 north of Spartanburg SC, Dry Road, 4 or 5 cars and 1 tractor trailer.. Big A$$ FIRE and 5 people from one family dead..  NO more details on the news as to cause???

Edited by Brocky
  • Sad 1

Brocky

22 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

you better hurry up and finish the DM;;you can mount a plow on front for snow removal. LOL

I thought about chaining it up and pulling fools up one hill where everybody gets stuck $$$$$$$

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Brocky said:

Mech, Same down here: Last Saturday night on I-26 north of Spartanburg SC, Dry Road, 4 or 5 cars and 1 tractor trailer.. Big A$$ FIRE and 5 people from one family dead..  NO more details on the news as to cause???

That sucks, but I think my area has the worst drivers on the globe

• Haha 1

Well, I’ll tell you I ran down through LA for a number of years.and with all the traffic down there. I didn’t have any trouble until I got back up here. But as far as your comment goes pretty much, every big town has too many stupid people

• 2 weeks later...

First winter after I got the FWD Firetruck, we had one of those epic three foot plus blizzards. I took it out just to say that I did it. I **tried** to get it stuck. Wasn't happening!!! Did get it hung up on a plowed mound once but I locked the lockers and she climbed right out like it wasn't even there. 

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Remind me, I bought a pair of tire chains  for my Mustang put them on one morning and went up this really steep hill just to see if I could make it. My car ran right up there with no problem….  I don’t really like using them on that car. They’re only for cases where I get caught with my pants down to get it home. Bob