Ol' Time Snow Removal

70mackMB

Oh these guys were all long gone now I even met them. They were my dad‘s older brothers and my dad would be 107 if he was still here I think these guys are already gone from when I was very young cause I never even met any of them except for two brothers, the rest of them I think we’re already passed on.

Cole’s Express hell I forgot all about them what I remember best lost my windshield wipers one night somewhere around Salisbury Massachusetts. When I was with nissens Somebody told me they will fix your truck in there if you ask him and they did they put a new wiper motor on it. They had one in stock I was on my way and didn’t charge, anything they probably sent them a bill later Next trip through I dropped off a whole basket of goodies for the mechanics. Thanks for the video that was very interesting…. Bob

• Like 1

we used to take the hoods of the old DM's until cops started giving us a hard time. so the mechanic made top covers without sides. didn't really help though, they were still ovens inside the cab.

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

15 hours ago, tjc transport said:

i aint quite that old!!!

but i do remember 6 volt positive ground...

and 25 mph speed limit when loaded. 

I am !!🤣. one of my early mentors told story of driving chain drive bulldog (yep AC Mack) from CT to maine for well drilling job;;; took three days to get there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mowerman said:

That was very interesting. When my uncles started, they were telling me they didn’t even have any heaters, just side curtains, solid, rubber, and chain drives Used to have to drain radiators before coolant kerosene headlights

think I told of one ole timer (since passed) telling me how to drive an old white conventional from CT to NY for deliveries he had lit candles on the dash for defrosting the windows 

• Like 2

I’ve heard that before. The old timer is out here. Tell me they used to put a bucket of ice near the heater vent and turn the blower on high. It would help a little bit not a whole lot to keep you cool before everybody had air-conditioning I remember myself going out to Yuma Arizona to pick up lemons middle of the summer, it was like 150° out R model no  AC I was only 26 at the time I just ruffed it out at 67. I don’t think I would’ve even attempted it.

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2024 at 6:49 PM, mowerman said:

That was very interesting. When my uncles started, they were telling me they didn’t even have any heaters, just side curtains, solid, rubber, and chain drives Used to have to drain radiators before coolant kerosene headlights

bad as memory seems to be getting; I DO remember neighbor worked for town road dept:: with my Father as a helper during winter storms , one would drive the dump truck  full of sand while other climbed in the dump AND SHOVELED the sand on the road as it was moving.  there was a routine (not a watch ) to know how far on the route they went then stopping to switch ;; not that the truck had much for heat = still warmer then out in the dump . I know it's true - watched the truck go by our house a number of storms. 

• Like 1

most were happy with the innovation of tail gate spreaders, challenge was pay attention as you drove down the street while raising dump body. todays modern slide in the body self contained sand spreader took a while for small towns back then to afford.

• Like 2