Found a 1988 or 89 Mack cabover that’s fairly local to me and is priced in the 10k range. Haven’t been to look at it. It’s said to be a E6-350. (I assume would be an 4v). Eaton 9 speed and 38 Mack rears on Reyco springs. Supposed to run and drive fine. Saw a picture and it looks fair but not super nice. I’d say average for a 35 year old truck. Is the standard sleeper cab. I’m assuming MH613. Has the big bar type grill and the 4 small square headlights. Has wet kit. Was considering it as an extra tractor to leave hitched to my equipment trailer. Move a dozer or excavator a few times a month. Don’t necessarily need it but I’ve never driven a Cabover and it would be as much hobby probably as work truck. Looks kinda cool. Don’t mind tinkering, But I don’t want to chase it everywhere it goes with a toolbox either. Lol. Any opinions on the Mack cabovers? I have experience with the E6 and have the one I use pretty regularly in my 1978 R. I’m comfortable with the engine. No experience at all with the trucks. Just curious about parts availability and any issues that need to be looked for things that make it a deal breaker?  Just asking questions before I make the time and trip to see it. Thank you all in advance. 
Josh

Sounds like you know enough about them already. Not sure what parts you think you'll need, the only real differences from what you have now are just sheet metal. Double check the basic items like cab mount bushings, treadle valve, and I bet you'll find a lot of similarities to the R models.

Turns out the U model used the same frame rails as the R model.  We stole a frame rail off our U to patch into our '79 R, fit like a glove. Mack used a lot of stuff on multiple models.

Unfamiliar with the MH cabovers, but we have a 2003 MR688S with a 20k steer axle and we drive it 10 below the speed limit, potholes HURT. Bridge approaches are sketchy on the highway, you don't realize how uneven they are until you're sitting just in front of the steer axle at 65 mph. The next one you'll be doing 40.or at least that's how it is in our truck!

• Thanks 1

I think I've seen the same truck on marketplace but I can't find the post anymore. Was it in Oklahoma and was a trailer being sold with it as well? 

First truck I was ever in and drove was an Mh and I love them. All the info you could should need is here and basic parts aren't too bad to find. Trim pieces and Mh specific stuff isn't easy to find so check that everything is there before you buy. 

• Thanks 1

BOBWhite there’s no trailer. It either has or had a dump bed on it.

here's how I happened onto it :

Ive been keeping an eye out for an E7 mechanical engine for my 78 R. A friend of mine came across it and thought maybe I could use the engine but from what I can tell it’s a running driving working old truck. I have been kicking it around and thinking it’s sort of a neat old truck and if they have a reputation for being a junk heap I might use the engine. It’s either an E7 or more likely a 4v E6. Either is something I could make work in my R. But I’m thinking instead I would just keep it together if it’s a decent old truck and use it to move equipment while I build an engine in my R. I hate to take apart a decent truck and it would be handy to have an extra and I’m interested in tooling around in a Cabover. Lol. It wouldn’t see many miles. I have a 48’ trailking traveling axle tilt deck and a 26’ end dump. I don’t use either that much. I primarily do dozer and excavator and backhoe work. Sometimes move a piece of equipment for a couple other local contractors. 100 mile round trips are the max and 20-30 mile round trip’s are the norm. I’m local only. So it wouldn’t have to go far but it needs to be dependable enough to go when I ask it. I’ve never even been close to a Mack Cabover in person so I know nothing about them. Lol. Thanks again 

Josh

Got some pics today. Its on facebook but I don’t have facebook so a friend sent me pictures. Ill post some for all to get a look at. The front turn Signal/marker lights are broken out of the body or cab panels and hanging by the wires. That concerns me about the condition of the fiberglass cab as a whole. Im not worried about making repairs and fixing tge signal mounts really but is it an indication that the fiberglass cab as a whole is too old and brittle or bad and is going to break apart somewhere or everywhere else?  It says its an MH-613. Is this what is called an ultraliner? It does say runs and drives good. Thanks again 

Josh. IMG_3890.thumb.jpeg.0a9d04a97c0ee8cbba74a6aacfb021f3.jpegIMG_3889.thumb.jpeg.a6e89c863d3a786a1121935139ba01fc.jpegIMG_3891.thumb.jpeg.25be212713a74a1dd87a27f564ac4446.jpeg

• Like 2

You ever driven one bob? You like them? Im totally ignorant about them. There’s not many macks where I live and all that is here are a few old R models the occasional B that is someones toy or project. Used to know a milk hauler that had a superliner with an 8V silver. Its long gone. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a MH in person. Lol

josh 

1 hour ago, 70mackMB said:

The picture that is straight onto the front. What is wrong with the drivers side steer wheel? lt looks to be up and back as thou it has been hit.    .....Hippy 

Looks like someone has a brick or something in front of the tire, like a wheel chock.   That old girl don't look too bad.

• Like 1

I wonder if those panels where the front signal lights mount are replaceable or could be found? If the fiberglass or plastic the cab is made from is good for many years? Been hoping some MH pros would stop by. Lol. Im negotiating tge sale of an old pete project truck i have and if it goes through I’ll go see this truck with cash in pocket. 
josh. 

That body looks kinda nice. I'd think whoever put it on that truck must have figured the truck was in good enough shape to do it.  The more I look at it, it looks to be in way more than fair shape.  I'd imagine some parts will be a challenge to locate. There wasn't a real lot of those even when they made them compared to CHs or CLs .  

• Thanks 1

I appreciate the responses here Im more interested in it the more I hear. Sounds like maybe other than some hard to source exclusive parts that they are a solid truck. Something about the cabover intrigues me. Maybe riding along with my dad. 
Josh. 

27 minutes ago, Macktruckman said:

Looks like a filler cap missing for something right in front of the right steer tire?

Thats the windshield washer bottle, most of the time the tanks are cracked on those.

Might look into how to fix some of the fiberglass stuff on this rig. I've repaired some fiberglass pieces on a Corvette that didn't turn out too badly and some shops might be able to remold or 3D print any part you might need. 

Thank you Bob i was curious if it would fix with regular fiberglass repair. Im not good at it but im fortunate to have some of the most capable friends a person could ask for. Did you by chance ever get to buy your MH back?

josh

Nope never did. My uncles getting good use out of it as his other truck broke down. I'm always on the lookout for another one, or two!

Have you come across the Mh manual Farmer52 posted? Lots of good info there: 

Edited by BOBWhite