What mack would you buy to haul dump trailer or low boy

Currently have a superliner with a 350 in it. The equipment I have keeps getting bigger and bigger and im looking to get into something with more power a little newer. The superliner is great around town but we are traveling now. What used truck would you purchase now.

I'd buy a superliner with an E9-500. But somehow I don't think that's the right answer! Not sure what weights you're hauling but unless you're running an E9 then Mack has you limited to 12 liters until you go newer than 2007, and after 2007 you're into all sorts of wonderful Volvo gadgetry.

I'd probably snoop around for a Pete or Kenworth with a Cummins.

13 hours ago, JoeH said:

I'd buy a superliner with an E9-500. But somehow I don't think that's the right answer! Not sure what weights you're hauling but unless you're running an E9 then Mack has you limited to 12 liters until you go newer than 2007, and after 2007 you're into all sorts of wonderful Volvo gadgetry.

I'd probably snoop around for a Pete or Kenworth with a Cummins.

NOW YOU WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP YOUNG MAN for saying those bad words on here .!!! Pete must be a truck salesman ; not sure of that K word. LOL ..B873 with quad . guess not. 

• Haha 1

Mack trucks were offered with cummins engines for many many years. 

so the only insult was suggesting the petercar or kennywhopper. 

although i will say the new T880 with 600 HP X15 cummins is a powerhouse!

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Mind you my #1 answer was a superliner with an E9! That's what I would buy! But parts are hens teeth for those motors I hear. Other than that, a true Mack motor (non Volvo mp series) only gets you 12 liters, which probably doesn't meet his needs.

I'm unwilling to go near an MP engine any time soon.

The E9 was probably a big deal back in the day but honestly is not all that impressive by today's standards even when compared to a "puny", modern 12 liter engine. The E9-500 didn't even make 1700 ft*lb of torque. Torque is a very arched curve peaking at 1650 at 1400 rpm. An MP8 has constant 1860 ft*lb from 1100 - 1400 rpm. and The MP8's 505 hp is almost constant from 1400 to 1900 rpm. The E9-500 is only making 440 hp at 1400rpm and gradually climbs to a peak of 500 at 1900rpm. All else being equal an MP8 would easily out pull a stock E9-500. and a 605 X15 Cummins would blow the doors off the truck with the E9. My guess is keeping the MP8 running and out of the dealership service department would be problematic though. 

On 12/13/2023 at 7:06 AM, 67RModel said:

The E9 was probably a big deal back in the day but honestly is not all that impressive by today's standards even when compared to a "puny", modern 12 liter engine. The E9-500 didn't even make 1700 ft*lb of torque. Torque is a very arched curve peaking at 1650 at 1400 rpm. An MP8 has constant 1860 ft*lb from 1100 - 1400 rpm. and The MP8's 505 hp is almost constant from 1400 to 1900 rpm. The E9-500 is only making 440 hp at 1400rpm and gradually climbs to a peak of 500 at 1900rpm. All else being equal an MP8 would easily out pull a stock E9-500. and a 605 X15 Cummins would blow the doors off the truck with the E9. My guess is keeping the MP8 running and out of the dealership service department would be problematic though. 

If the Volvo turds had continued advancing the V8 They may have Easily surpassed 2000 ft lbs by now ! Use the Scania as an example! The original V8 and Scania were Closely linked at one point! And The Engines would sound better! 😄 Apart from a locomotive!  Nothing beats the sound of The V8 !

42 minutes ago, fjh said:

If the Volvo turds had continued advancing the V8 They may have Easily surpassed 2000 ft lbs by now ! Use the Scania as an example! The original V8 and Scania were Closely linked at one point! And The Engines would sound better! 😄 Apart from a locomotive!  Nothing beats the sound of The V8 !

I personally think Mack should have poured their resources into developing the Mack "Big Six" prototype that is at the Mack Museum. It would have been directly competing with 855 Cummins and 1693/3406A Caterpillars at the time. Given Mack's engineering prowess at that time, they would have had an incredible big bore, inline, "highway engine". While cool, the E9 should have never been. Mack should have let the V8 die after the 855/856 V8s. Its easy to say this in hindsight but I think the E9 ultimately handicapped Mack...

13 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

I personally think Mack should have poured their resources into developing the Mack "Big Six" prototype that is at the Mack Museum. It would have been directly competing with 855 Cummins and 1693/3406A Caterpillars at the time. Given Mack's engineering prowess at that time, they would have had an incredible big bore, inline, "highway engine". While cool, the E9 should have never been. Mack should have let the V8 die after the 855/856 V8s. Its easy to say this in hindsight but I think the E9 ultimately handicapped Mack...

I suppose your right to some degree! I am not a good one to talk to on this subject The Volvo people took a very proud group of people and disbanded them and replaced them with Volvo puppets! Very little left in the way of Real Mack know how these days !   That said !  Scania has made great strides  with the v Power!  Face it there is nothing simple these days ! Everything involves a computer or some overwhelming Teck of some sort.  So be it A straight Six Or V8 Its Going to be a dogs breakfast of Teck! Glad to be away from it Mostly! 😂

• Like 1

I looked at that engine Mack had on display at their museum and my thought was they should have put the engine in production it would have been a vast improvement over the low hp engines they ran in the trucks I ran back in the day the 237's were everywhere slow but you got there eventually.