1985 Superliner

after the 70's they were aluminum from behind the cab and back.. I think they were 7/16'' thick...  I have only been around a few of them, certainly not a guru on these..  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

just proves the fact ;; never tooo old to learn .  possibly why I wasn't aware of combo rails, also back in the day Mack westerns on the east coast were an extremely rare Dog. did prep for delivery a F-700 western having the 866 v-8 and alum rails = full front to back alum 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I'm going to take a stab at this.....  right -or-wrong..  I believe they were RW 6-or-713 ST's.... 

sounds like a good set of models.  seems by memory the alum rails were  1/2or 9/16  with frame flanges at least 11/16/or 3/4 . thicker then steel . 

• Like 2

a '79 RL600L on craigslist has a number of pictures.one of which gives half/a-s  picture of bottom side looking at transmission (RR13) ; point is based on this conversation, the alum rails look to go full forward.  flanges definitely thicker , can't see the rail thickness. long wheel base tractor  asking price $12K.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2023 at 4:32 PM, Joey Mack said:

after the 70's they were aluminum from behind the cab and back.. I think they were 7/16'' thick...  I have only been around a few of them, certainly not a guru on these..  

I heard that also I had a 73 western aluminum frame but I don’t remember traded it in 1986

I have repaired and replaced numerous aluminum frames most were KW and Peterbilt used as log trucks the extreme rough roads would brake the rails vertically near the cab the Mack rails I have only seen small horizontal cracks around the rear suspension other than scale or delaminating as some call the rot where it contacts the steel if its always been on the pavement its probably not a concern easy to check with a good light

• Like 2