Pictures of the Week

other dog

O.D.,,,  I have a few OLD cast iron pots that are rusty..  I was thinking about using my blasting cabinet to clean them, then start over and season them... What are your thoughts on using the blasting cabinet... I was thinking about doing one of my Chinese pans first, as a tester..

• Like 1

I don't even like using Crisco seasoning pans anymore, never mind cooking and baking with it.  Animal fats the way to go! 

I know this sounds like something off of The Beverly Hillbillies but raccoon fat is the best if you can find some. Bacon grease would work but its better to find some with no salt in it. 

15 minutes ago, BOBWhite said:

I don't even like using Crisco seasoning pans anymore, never mind cooking and baking with it.  Animal fats the way to go! 

I know this sounds like something off of The Beverly Hillbillies but raccoon fat is the best if you can find some. Bacon grease would work but its better to find some with no salt in it. 

That's the reason I use the Crisco, no salt. I bought a big chunk of cured hog jowl to rub it with before I do the Crisco. I'm sure it's loaded with salt, but salt works good to clean cast iron too. I just don't want to use salted fat to season it and then let it sit for months before I use it again.

This is what I'm going to wipe it out with first, easy to grip and hold too.

PXL_20231115_234927295.thumb.jpg.eb7202bed1fb3a5d85a4bf76f7272d96.jpg

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

tjc think jojo is under the impression you are joking. I know the walnut shells are used a lot. never heard of the baking soda . would the two be used separate  or together??  that would be a lot of baking soda . fine grit blast sand  maybe depending how bad pots are. and size /pressure of blaster. 

• Like 1

No,  I know what hes saying..  Its just that my cabinet is large and the sand hopper is as well.  I would have to flush out the cabinet and replace the media, then do it again when Its time to do my typical work..  Its all good,,  yes the sand will leave some residue..  my thought was to blast them, wipe them out will corn oil then bake them on the grill for an hour, then re-season them..   Just having a little fun here..   :) jojo 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

pots will be dry Paul,,  For Sure..  here they are..  One is supposed to be really Old..  if I have time this weekend I will do 1 or 2 of the modern ones...  I think it will be fine..   

KIMG2412.JPG

KIMG2414.JPG

KIMG2413.JPG

KIMG2415.JPG

• Like 2

you have me curious TJC...  I just see cast iron..  I guess I dont see a negative for blasting the inside and wiping it clean then baking them...   Thank you for chiming in...  

On 11/16/2023 at 11:13 AM, other dog said:

They said just never let them soak and when you wash it to dry it immediately, preferably by putting it on the stove burner until it's completely dry

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I've been doing this to Our Camp over for years.. Never been Olied either! & still as clean as the day We got It..

image.png.a915d4e7822f19be3bea61384b175444.png

Picture to show what I'm Talking about.. 

Don't bother with stand, just sit it straight on the coals & a shovel full of Hot Coals on the Lid & you can roast a piece of Meat to perfection..!

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

because the sand will get in places it will be almost impossible to get out of, just like blasting a car. 

and than 6 months later you will be cooking something and still have sand grains showing up in the food. 

walnut shells, baking soda, or even dry ice as 70mackmb said will not have any effect of food days, or even months later. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..