Moles......lil bastards....

Freightrain

Been about 4 yrs I've been fighting these pricks.  Poison doesn't work.  Even after a few years.  I finally stepped up my game with a scissor trap and got one today!!  I'm resetting it and will see if there are others.  They supposed use a big space but I am going to keep trying.

My yard turned into a plowed field it was so rough from their ruts and holes.  I want to level it next year and get back to being able to mow without throwing my back out.  Heck just walking can twist an ankle!

IMG_20231105_171204600_HDR.jpg

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

Been about 4 yrs I've been fighting these pricks.  Poison doesn't work.  Even after a few years.  I finally stepped up my game with a scissor trap and got one today!!  I'm resetting it and will see if there are others.  They supposed use a big space but I am going to keep trying.

My yard turned into a plowed field it was so rough from their ruts and holes.  I want to level it next year and get back to being able to mow without throwing my back out.  Heck just walking can twist an ankle!

IMG_20231105_171204600_HDR.jpg

have to be very careful in todays "yuppie" world ; you  might get into trouble  for cruelty to animals. can't remember the name , there used to be a gadget  put in the ground that emitted a vibrating pulse which would deter the moles. my Father used old fashion spring loaded spike. -got a few. he also had a small retriever dog which got more woodchucks through the years.  when we heard the dog barking, we knew take the gun go out to whatever stone wall ; find the dog. many times never used the gun. as we were taking wall apart, the dog ran in the hole - pulled chuck out.30-40 think was one count . 

• Like 1

My Dad had this same problem in his yard.  He devised a solution to eliminate them.  He found an 8" cube of wood and affixed a sturdy handle to it at an angle, so that when slammed onto the ground, the bottom of the cube would be flat on the ground.  He then took an 8" square piece of 3/4 plywood and drilled a grid of 49 holes spaced 1 inch apart for 16-Common nails.  Next, he secured the plywood to the bottom of the cube, nails down, with several 3" screws.  Whenever he saw a mole burrowing across the yard, he struck.  Over the years, he killed dozens of them. 

• Like 1

I'm right there with you rebel..  Now when I catch a Opossum, I take it to a ''black neighborhood'' and let him out..  Those folks eat them,  so I am doing my part to cut their High cost for meat..  I have caught 5 cats in the last 10 months,,  I let ''animal control come get my trap, then they literally bring my trap back, and set it over the fence..  :) No more rats since i got rid of my 50 chickens..   I used to sit out there with my .22 revolver, loaded with shot shells and pick them off..  some nights I would get 6 of them..   I put a small bell on the chicken feeder, so that I could here them when they would hang from the feeder to 'feed'....   BLAM !!!    :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RowdyRebel said:

Meanwhile, my wife says there's a critter in the garage...possum or coon or something. She gets home from work the other night, goes out onto the back patio, and retrieves my large live trap. She sets it up in the garage, and asks me to check and see that it's correct. Yup. Good job.

Next morning, I check the trap. It's been tripped, but nothing inside, so I reset it & left for work. Turns out SHE tripped it before going to bed because she didn't want the garage cat to get caught.🤦‍♂️

I explained to her that it's a live trap. If the cat gets caught, we can let him out again. It's not going to get hurt...kinda the point of these live traps.

Next night, I make sure it's set before turning in for the night. She apparently got home from work, and not only tripped the trap, but removed the bait as well, because I had to set it up again before leaving for work in the morning. "I don't want the cat getting caught."

I tried explaining that the critters she thinks it might be in the garage are nocturnal...which means if the trap isn't set overnight, the chances of catching the stupid thing goes down considerably....and if the cat happens to get caught, IT'S NOT GOING TO GET HURT! We simply let him out and life goes on.

For as much effort as she went through to go outside and get the trap, carry it into the garage, and set it up, it's almost like she DOESN'T want to catch the critter. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that I'd take it out back & shoot it if/when we caught it? 🤔 She wanted me to "relocate" that skunk I trapped last year, too...but I wasn't getting close enough to that to get sprayed. A single 25-30 yard shot with a .45 lever action solved that problem. Now with the rat I caught several years ago, I took it out back and released it from the trap...and then shot it as it was running away. It made it about 15' in the time it took me to raise my pistol & squeeze the trigger. A coon or possum would get that same opportunity.

I think we are brother-in-laws.I know  my wife has a sister but maybe she has two. does your wife have a sister (my wife ) . sounds like something my wife would ALSO do, LOL

• Haha 1

Yes, my wife has a sister...but I hope to GOD she ain't your wife. She's married to a real dumbass. His name even sounds a lot like dumbass, which is why I only refer to him as "dumbass" instead of using his actual name whenever I have to mention him in a conversation. Funny thing is, it doesn't matter who I'm talking to...if they know him, they know exactly who i'm talking about.

• Haha 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!