79 r model trailer air valve

are there any numbers cast into it?  I have a Sealco book.  I can try to get a part number..  It looks like and older version of what we call a QR-1 valve... (quick release)

Are those prone to failure?. When they fail, what goes wrong, IOW what gets replaced during a rebuild?. In wouldn't expect much in there but maybe a spring or two and some sort of valve/plunger that the spring moves. Of course this is just spec as I have no idea how it actually works. 

HOLD on,  what year truck are you working on? Is it pre -121?  It could be a TP-1 (not sure, never seen one, as they were out of production long before anything I had).  TP-1's and TP-2's are out of production and even rebuilds are NLA as far as I know except for N.O.S.

There is a TP that does look similar but is newer and has a double check function built into it. 

TP-3's and later (post -121) valves all function different than the pre-121 and are not directly compatible.

If your supplier went off looks alone, it is very doubtful he will get the right part.

It is VERY important to get the right valve

TP-1 and -2 have the trip function (air pressure trip to close the valve) in the TP valve itself. The supply side is ALWAYS connected to tractor air at all times. The later TP-3's and up the trip function is in the dash button, and supply air goes through the dash button to the TP, which then opens, anytime it see's air pressure on the supply line.

A TP-3 has four connections a TP-1 or 2 has five. There is a later TP that also has five, but has two supply lines, and a double check in it. That valve looks similar to a TP-1,or-2 but functions different.

We need to know what you are working on and preferably numbers off the valve to be sure.

edit: Whoops, I missed the title (I'm going to blame on the time change!) and see it is post -121!  I found some pictures on line that look like it. It is a Midland TP valve. The top connection threw me because Bendix early valves are like that. I didn't see many Midland valves in my work.

More info and pictures would help. The above mention of TP-1's got me on the wrong track.

PS early (pre -121) are sometimes called "3 line system" and later (post -121) are called "2 line".

Edited by Geoff Weeks

1 hour ago, Licensed to kill said:

Are those prone to failure?. When they fail, what goes wrong, IOW what gets replaced during a rebuild?. In wouldn't expect much in there but maybe a spring or two and some sort of valve/plunger that the spring moves. Of course this is just spec as I have no idea how it actually works. 

Most common failure is leaking out the exhaust, either with the valve open or closed, next common failure is leaks to the trailer side with the valve closed. Whether a rebuild kit will solve the problem depends on the state of the casting. Sometimes where the valves seat get worn/corroded and a "kit" will not solve that.