Ain’t this about a bitch

mowerman

2 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Thats full seperation, if it was a cap I could understand

Pretty uncommon on a new tyre

Was the air still inside ?

Paul

No man must’ve misunderstood Paul. Yes, they were new recaps only three weeks old I don’t get it. We usually don’t have any trouble with our tractor recaps tires. They’re all recaps and they run right down to smooth two hour delay. It wasn’t bad but I was already out of the yard one hour late, so a total of three hours. $$$

And yes, the tire was still inflated. The cap just left the tire I was bouncing so bad just to get it to a safe spot. I thought there was a lot more damage possibly DEF tank leaking and tore up. Absolutely no damage except the quarter fender … Bob

I don’t blame you. My company is not that tight. I don’t know why they use such garbage on our trailers and Congers. They are blowing out constantly in the summer as I mentioned, we generally don’t have trouble with the drive tires. I don’t know what the difference is.

Im stunned, I  don't know of anyone running caps these days because of this very reason

I dont see belts all along the highway anymore, it has been maybe 5 years since I have even noticed the caps on the sides of the roads

Drive tyres always run a lot hotter than trailer tyres, as in even on a hot day I can put my hand on a trailer tyre but a drive is very hot to touch

Paul 

Yes, the weather just barely broke here in my area and I am already seeing rubber everywhere. I wish my company would get away from them. We’re all blowing tires constantly out there all summer. You think they would get a clue and get rid of all the garbage as I mentioned, they’re really not a cheap shit company, not sure what the deal is 

Paul, here in the East side of U.S.A.  we call those tire caps on the roads,,  Gators....  Lots of them with really good tread on them, what a waste..

• Like 2

My dad had a fleet of ford ltl 9000 tri axles we ran new steer tires then we had our casings capped up to 3 times as drives and the fourth capping was as tag axle tires we kept track of every tire we owned and kept them rotated for proper wear I used to change all of the by hand . The one good thing we had was stacks of cribbing blocks that we would back up to in the shop and when you put the bed up you could pick up all the drive axles at one time only time we needed a jack was for steer tires

• Like 1

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

I remember years ago, in the late 70s early 80s before we were globalised, it made it to the news in Australia about a cap that came off on a Greyhound interstate type of bus (not saying it was Greyhound, rather a big coach like a Greyhound bus)

Anyway as I recall it the cap went thru the floor and killed a kid I believe 

To me they are just a pain and just not worth it

I haven't bought a cap in well over 20 years, last caps I had were a set of drive tyres and I chucked them after a couple of blow outs

Paul 

When I ran Michelins, have my own cases capped 3 times...HAD to in order to bring the tire cost within reason. Then switched to Khumos & was putting virgins on for the price I was paying to have my own cases capped...so I just ran new tires. Never had any issues running my own cases, capped by a reputable shop.

Company I used to pull for ran caps...anybody's caps...and used the cheapest place they could find to wrap new tread on the tires. The only requirement they seemed to have was that it held air...and even that wasn't a hard & fast rule. As a general rule, each tire had a 50/50 shot of blowing out in the 1st 2 weeks...and if they made it past that, you were generally good to go. Got a nail in a tire once on a company trailer, a month or 2 into a new set of junk caps. Tire shop came & got me from the waiting room, saying they weren't going to fix that tire. Nail had gone right through one of probably a dozen patches on the inside of the tire...some of which were even on the sidewall! And the company pencil pushers wondered why half the new caps they mounted were blowing out.🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

This was the start to our Thursday... My cousin was driving when this happened.  Brand New tires on brand new rims, second day on the truck.  Tire tech put on 8.25"rims, but the counter man ordered them to have 9" rims: 7,500 lb rims vs 10,000 lb rims. Fortunately it failed at 5mph not 50... Shop replaced junk tire and both rims with the right rims that afternoon.  

I had to make a second trip to the shop to get the torch as the rim bent itself around the backside of the brake drum. When we got it back to the shop and got the other wheel off it was already buckling and had flat spots developing on the inside bead.

The tire is still on the axle. Apart from a little damage to the bead surface it held up well...

KIMG1311.JPG

• Sad 3

I was loaded with marble chips in the dump trailer driving a f model Mack and the day or so before the trip the owner had two caps replaced on the passenger front drive axle. I was back up above Maryland border when the inner cap came off in one piece got my attention whacked the back of the cab on it's departure and scared the Bajuses out of me pulled over the casing was intact so off I went nothing I could do about the dent in the cab. About 30 or so miles later same thing again but this time I was losing air pressure fast, get off the interstate fast, this time the cap is wrapped around the axle and has taken out the maxi brake lines and put a big dent in the fuel tank it is about dark  so I'm looking at what I can rob somewhere off the truck to repair the air system to go home with the help off passing car lights I jury rig the truck up thank god I always take a toolbox with me  but just when you really need it the damn flashlight batterys were dead. The owner was some po'd about the damage to the Mack but I told him cheap caps are always a gamble and you were putting me at some risk. 

• Like 1

I've always hated Recaps. I remember back in 2007 when tire manufacturers were having production issues even with virgin tires. The Garbage company I worked for at the time had just put a brand new set of 8 drives on a truck. He wasn't loaded thank God because about 2miles down the road all 8 let loose of their treads at the same time. 

Back in 2008 I was on my way to Dover Plains New York and blew a inside drive tire on the rear drive Axle passenger side. The Gator slapped so hard it put a dent in the back of my half fender. Well in the process of departure it took out an air line for my suspension on my flatbed. As I climbed underneath to see if I could find the leak and fix it the suspension started dropping. Not only did the inside tire on the front Axle drivers side blow before I got under the trailer the opposite inside tire blew as I climbed out from underneath the trailer. Only thing between me and that tire was the mud flap. 

Don’t get me wrong if you use random caps ya we had to do that some times if we were low on tires we did have problems cause I they would cap anything good or bad but we maintained our own casings so we always watched wear and if one did not look good it was scrapped we originally used goodyear steers but we started having the problem of them wearing a sharp edge on the Alcoa rim beads and when you dismounted it would take a chunk out of the bead then cause sidewall separation later or a large air bubble in the bead good year blamed Alcoa on poor material and alcoa blamed goodyear for bad rubber they actually came out and watched me change tires and what lube I used the rims got so bad my dad would weld a new bead on the wheel . Fianly after about a year of back and fourth goodyear did nothing and we scrapped probly 40 virgin casings and went to contenential tires and alco needed up giving us about 30 new wheels

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

That’s pretty crazy. I would’ve guessed it was their fault to begin with. And rubber duck I was out taking a union break last summer standing right by duels I took off and same tire blew out 2 miles down the road the one I was just standing next to completely blew apart, so yes, I guess anything is possible. this cap caper ,,,,, I think back through the years and I can’t remember this ever happening to me just the cap  coming off 48 years behind the wheel I may be wrong  Bob

8 hours ago, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

I've always hated Recaps. I remember back in 2007 when tire manufacturers were having production issues even with virgin tires. The Garbage company I worked for at the time had just put a brand new set of 8 drives on a truck. He wasn't loaded thank God because about 2miles down the road all 8 let loose of their treads at the same time. 

I was at a company yard once when another O/O rolled in & started bragging about the "great deal" he got on a new set of drives. Yeah, they all still had the nipples on them from the molds, so they were still pretty fresh...but I noticed 4 of them were random brands that didn't match the other 4 tires. Also, the quarter fender on one side and the mudflap on the other were missing. Turns out, it was less than 100 miles since getting that awesome deal on the new tires, and 4 of them had already let go. He hadn't even pulled a load with them & already had to replace half of them. Some deal, right?🙄

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!