Western Star 6900 Chassis Pics....kinda

Bullheaded

For all you modeler's out there that always want chassis pics, I tried to get some for you, but it was a little too packed with mud, LOL

This is what 100 tonnes gross looks like when it goes into the mud.

I floated two excavators there and they had two rotator tow trucks and we couldn't budge it. Next plan is to dig it out more and bring a 349 ex and a D8.

Driver was really lucky. The entire driver seat is burried under big chunks of ice and mud, he got pushed out of seat.

1 (Medium).PNG

2 (Medium).PNG

3 (Medium).PNG

4 (Medium).PNG

5 (Medium).PNG

• Like 2

have been studying the pictures for a while , still don't understand how it happened;; NO major dirt disruption before roll over. one question being :::  this unit is a left hand drive ? must be if driver seat buried ! traffic may have covered the truck tire tread as it crossed the road.  super HD  349/ D8  should do the job, hopefully without more major damage. be interesting to watch the removal. 

Says he blew a steer tire on driver side? I don't know? But I blew a 425 series balloon tire on the steer of my old 9400 International tri-axle dump loaded in a corner at 55 MPH, blew the hood and fuel tank right off and I just jaked to a stop on the shoulder. But I only had 30 tonne on.

But this is a contractor working here that does the ore haul and road maintenance (and they do a crap job with both) and they have that attitude that drivers are a dime a dozen, and they don't fix anything properly. 

5 minutes ago, Brocky said:

In the first picture are those the truck tracks in the ditch???? And the white behind behind the tailgate is ice from the swamp??? Looks like it laid over real gently??

No, I think the big grooves are the grader cutting a ditch for drainage before this happened.

1- thanks for the under chassis pictures for us model builders LOL. #2= maybe it's the mud cover ; I can't make out the brand of truck= one pic the front looks to be Mack, fenders/ rest don't. 3--any up date pictures of unit out of mud ??

14 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

1- thanks for the under chassis pictures for us model builders LOL. #2= maybe it's the mud cover ; I can't make out the brand of truck= one pic the front looks to be Mack, fenders/ rest don't. 3--any up date pictures of unit out of mud ??

It's a Western Star 6900XD. I have a post here with pics of the brand new one....in the Other Brand Trucks section under Western Star 6900XD I think.

And it's still in there on it's side. They haven't made another attempt yet, and it's supposed to rain then snow tonight, so should get interesting, LOL

What's that expression? "More money than brains."

looking at first picture, i am going to say he was going way to fast, drifted off the road and tried to power back up on the road instead of stopping. 

you can see where he was off the road for around 100 foot before rolling over.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

6 hours ago, Mark T said:

Is that the new one from the picture ? or just another one same spec ?   Either way, looks like a very expensive mishap , let alone it isn't doing any work for all this time.  holy cow.... what a waste .

No, the orange one I posted a pic of was new. $750,000 Canadian. This red one, one of two were bought used. They are Cat powered with Allison's and the new orange one is an X15 525 with an Allison. And this will be second time this unit gets floated out of here for major repairs.

Our speed limit is 60 KPH/40 MPH. I ran a few loads with one of the Cat wiggle wagons and the dash display showed our hills at 14 and 15%.

And these big Western Stars grossing 95 to 100 tonne.......as soon as they hit a hill that Allison goes right to first gear and all they can do is crawl.

They just floated in another excavator, a bigger Hitachi and they are supposed to do the recovery tomorrow but it is now POURING rain and supposed to change to snow tonight and tomorrow. 

Should be a real treat. LOL

• Thanks 1