Winch

1wonton

Either set up works good don’t know what your plans are as for how much it’s going to be used but if I was buying new I would go with hydraulic but if I was looking for used I would go with a chain drive just because they are easier to find either one will need a power take off and a hydraulic will need a tank and pump and necessary hoses 

On 12/2/2022 at 11:01 AM, 1wonton said:

Want to put  a winch on my B61 tractor, 5 speed trans, 273 turbo engine; what is the best way to go; hydraulic or chain-drive?  How can I hook it up to my trans?

ron

Is this a 237 engine, with the correct 5 speed that goes with it?    terry:MackLogo:

21 minutes ago, 1wonton said:

It is the 673C, 250 hp with the five speed trans.

Is the trans mission a 107 series or 72 series transmission?    terry:MackLogo:  I thought the 673C engine had a triplex or quad transmission.

Edited by terry

That should have more then a 5 spd behind it.  It's a Thermodyne, not a Maxidyne.  Used just as a toy, it likely won't matter, but with a heavy load it will struggle.

If I recall there are two bolt patterns for PTOs to mount.  That and the proper gear count to mesh with cluster shaft.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

2 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

That should have more then a 5 spd behind it.  It's a Thermodyne, not a Maxidyne.  Used just as a toy, it likely won't matter, but with a heavy load it will struggle.

If I recall there are two bolt patterns for PTOs to mount.  That and the proper gear count to mesh with cluster shaft.

I know with the 72 series transmission you have to have the right idler plate and gear between the PTO and transmission case to mesh with both gears.    terry:MackLogo:

• Like 2

I had a plate on my triplex get rusty, so I bought a new block off plate and gasket.  Seems there were only 2 versions.

Ive had thought of putting a PTO on my truck for some kind of future use.  I know there are specifics you need to make it fit.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

21 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

How can I tell which transmission I have?

im thinking some one put that 5 speed in it....you definatelyhave something there,,,none of us have ever seen haha...mine is a 15 speed with low low hole....im wondering if a standard transmission without the power take off all have the drive gear ....you should start by removing the side plate and see if it does.. i do know for a fact my 70 chevy pickup with power take off had the same size and bolt pattern as the mack  bob

2 hours ago, mowerman said:

hell you could save a lot of balony just buy an electric one from amazon or harbor freight or a pickup truck supplier...bob

Need to be able to pull D* Cat onto lobed.  I don't think an electric will do it.