Winch

1wonton

4  0f our trucks have a Garwood 4MB Winch mounted BHind the cab

they all have a 3/4" cable that we able to break @ idle revs with a mechanical drive thru chain & Sprokets

they all set up with a PTO that has UP - Nuetral - Down  control

GarwoodB.thumb.jpg.26a7d78287da17bf5ae735dabc1adc96.jpg

GarwoodC.thumb.jpg.7c7862f74beb588454cc45486cd22535.jpg

GarwoodA.thumb.jpg.13cdbbfd999267bd396e660b65e1b602.jpg

Garwood60000lbWinch.JPG.aba912606d781cbbe21e123c377a7224.JPG

Cya

Edited by Swishy

I installed a Garwood winch, the same model as Swishy's, on my B61. My transmission is a Quadruplex and I used a PTO with forward and reverse to drive the winch. An extra gear was needed to reach in to the pto drive gear in the transmission.  The pto drives two # 80 chains to the winch. It could have been a fairly easy job, but I got carried away and made the whole thing more complicated than it needed to be.  One of the things I didn't like was that the pto shifter, if mounted straight up through the floor, would have been right where a passenger's leg would be. I spent quite a few evenings making linkages to move that pto shifter over next to the 5-speed stick. I have not yet run the truck; it is still a work in progress.  Steve

On 12/4/2022 at 1:35 PM, 1wonton said:

Looks like TRL 107

2Y 2526

11KBA 5671

AP 1

Mack trans.jpg

Yeah!  That didn't come in that B61!  Should be fine for a toy truck, but the Thermodyne will likely struggle with a 5-speed and a D8 Cat on a lowboy trailer.  Won't be able to break the trans, but the engine is going to lug pretty bad with only 5 speeds to work with.  Thermodynes like to keep the revs up.

I routinely hauled D8K Cats with an R600 with a 250 Thermodyne and an 18-speed Quadruplex on a tri-axle Hyster lowboy.  Most I hauled was about 111,000#.  That's about all that 250 wanted in these hills around here.  Oh, it got it done, but not in any hurry!

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 1:42 PM, Swishy said:

1wonton

gudday m8

to winch on a D8 up ramps is a big ask

U either pull the truck backwards or brake something

U would need to run the winch cable thru snatchblocks etc

best to have a nother machine to push the D8 up ramps = lot easier and quicker

cya

Thanks Swishy;  I would think a 30-40k winch would pull it up the ramps?  Cat runs ok but too scary to try and back it up ramps, coming down ok, just get it on the edge and let 'er go.........

On 12/6/2022 at 10:37 AM, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Yeah!  That didn't come in that B61!  Should be fine for a toy truck, but the Thermodyne will likely struggle with a 5-speed and a D8 Cat on a lowboy trailer.  Won't be able to break the trans, but the engine is going to lug pretty bad with only 5 speeds to work with.  Thermodynes like to keep the revs up.

I routinely hauled D8K Cats with an R600 with a 250 Thermodyne and an 18-speed Quadruplex on a tri-axle Hyster lowboy.  Most I hauled was about 111,000#.  That's about all that 250 wanted in these hills around here.  Oh, it got it done, but not in any hurry!

Small engines are no fun when thier in every day use.. Bob