AI-460 cutting out

SLEDOG
Go to solution Solved by Joey Mack,

1 hour ago, SLEDOG said:

Joey I didn’t see your post until just now on the locating pin on the flywheel.  They couldn’t have got that wrong then …..

sledog 

Unless the dowel was missing no! there is a small possibility the dowel stuck in the fly wheel if thi was sent to the machine shop for grinding and was never put back in! 

4 minutes ago, SLEDOG said:

Tjh

yah I didn’t see this post until after I put my foot in my mouth….

dog

Bud did you check the Power  relays on the right hand left in the glove panel there? I chimed in late here ! Are we still chasing the number one post ? looks like it got side tracked!

Still chasing original post

I put new crank sensor in and I haven’t actually worked the truck to test yet.

it does stall when cam sensor pulled and I’m led to believe it should not do that….

sledog 

17 minutes ago, SLEDOG said:

Still chasing original post

I put new crank sensor in and I haven’t actually worked the truck to test yet.

it does stall when cam sensor pulled and I’m led to believe it should not do that….

sledog 

In my mind the the cam sensor un pluged  should throw a code also the flywheel I could be Wrong on that  How ever if the if  computer doesn't see either or  of these sensors one would think it would throw up a code for it! That said if Your original issue was not throwing up a code it is likely a main power issue that the ECU doesn't SEE as a problem! Relays as mentioned!

Just my opinion 

• Like 1

yes,,, there should have been codes for the RPM/TDC sensor... (Flywheel sensor) . at first I was looking at electrical/electronic issue. then i learned there was a flywheel housing failure.  so i went on a tangent.  I am back on earth, and think it is a electrical/electronic..  may be time to check the wires from the sensor to the EECU..  With a Fluke DVOM.. may be broken up-stream or shorted out. these engines can run on one or the other sensor, not very well but will run...   

33 minutes ago, SLEDOG said:

Which relay in glove box will cause me an issue with this… there’s 6 or seven in glove box 

So my suggestion is to buy a relay ! Use it to weed out the bad one if there is a bad one! Do this one at a time and try it! If after you have gone thru all 5 or six with no results then we need to look else where! If you run across one that corrects the problem then bobs you uncle! You have checked engine grounds correct?

I just got done taking grounds of and checking.  Found a couple issues and wired grounds the way they are supposed to be.

She starts fine and I need to work her and see what happens now I think.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 11:44 AM, SLEDOG said:

I just got done taking grounds of and checking.  Found a couple issues and wired grounds the way they are supposed to be.

She starts fine and I need to work her and see what happens now I think.

Yup grounds are important ! an odd happening We  ran across years ago with  a brand new Etech  in a log truck  that would stop on a hill by the same cedar tree on the same mountain dog trail every once in a blue moon! Started getting quite frequent we consulted Mack and the took the same truck and duplicated the same problem on the Dyno and found it was Voltage spikes at the alternator at a certain RPM  their tech happened to spot the surge when the engine quit at one point !  Just a stroke of luck if you ask me ! How ever we replaced the alt and it put a stop to the issue! Electrics can do strange shit! Dam lucky we could have search for that for months! Years! Comes back to what Onyx said experiences!

Rambling !

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I remember in the beginning of this post, talking about grounds and the ACC. relay, and such..  If you look back to page 1 you will see..  so....  now I suggest you test run the truck, and come back with a 'Status update'..  this way,  we can stay closer to the issue rather than going out on a limb for ideas,  Like The way that I did, after I read about other issues...  There are many guys here that give their knowledge freely,  and want to know that the help you received was good, and got you back on the road..  Keep on Keepin' on....   jojo

• Like 1
  • Like 1

To verify cam and crank corralation you need an oscilloscope. 

Another way is to remove both sensors and barr the engine over. The cam gear has two dots drilled into it. It's highly unlikely the cam gear would slip, otherwise we would be picking up engines pieces from the oil pan. Once the two dots are in view, check to see if the missing teeth on the flywheel line up with the crank sensor hole, if not rotate the engine again and line up the dots on the cam and recheck the crank. If they still don't line up then the ring gear has slipped. You will need a mirror and  make room to view the cam. It's tight but it can be done. 

V

12 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I remember in the beginning of this post, talking about grounds and the ACC. relay, and such..  If you look back to page 1 you will see..  so....  now I suggest you test run the truck, and come back with a 'Status update'..  this way,  we can stay closer to the issue rather than going out on a limb for ideas,  Like The way that I did, after I read about other issues...  There are many guys here that give their knowledge freely,  and want to know that the help you received was good, and got you back on the road..  Keep on Keepin' on....   jojo

Joe  Buddy ! Don't be offended ! I Brought up the Ground thing Up ! Because I noticed you had mentioned to check them earlier and to confirm He had checked this before wasting any more time chasing shit! Cheap And easy stuff first ALWAYS ! Just A little nudge! 😉  And SLED Keep us Posted Its fun for us to help and its satisfying to get the fix nailed down for us guys! makes it worth coming here!  AND It may help others in the process !

🙃Keeps Our Brains Working!😬

• Like 1

Im never offended..  we all have similar approaches, and take time to remind the person, posting the question..  "It take's a Village"  He's lucky that he found BMT...  Take care 'F'....  :) jojo  

• Like 1