AI-460 cutting out

SLEDOG
Go to solution Solved by Joey Mack,

I have a 2007 Mack Granite with the AI-460 motor.

It started to develop a slight miss so I changed both fuel filters. Didn’t notice much difference.

now the motor will cut out completely for a second and come right back usually a couple times a day. It never seems to happen under heavy load and seems to pull fine on the hills.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks 

• Solution

Grounds....  ACC. Relay... fuseable link at the batt. box.... Electric instant shut down or slow death...?  does it start right back up??  Codes????  9-2 for example......   jojo

That would be a good start and monitor fuel pressure while driving and when the issue occurs. Joey will be better on this then me so I’ll just stand back and watch. I don’t want too many ideas thrown at you. 

fuel pressure can cause a cutout, but I would expect a weakening or a slow death,,  I think he said it picks back up....  so,,  you may very well be right..  definately check fuel pressure during the test runs...  jojo

the sensor test can be done buy wiggling the wires while its running to see if it cuts out..   you can also unplug one at a time to see if it cuts out..  un plug one,  if it stays running, plug it back in, then go to the other one and do the same..  Yes it  will throw codes..  but at leaste you know what they are.. you can check codes before you do this test just to see whats logged..   

yes it will run on one or the other... if you unplug one and it shuts off...  the other one is bad......  2 sensors..  one on the right front for the cam, and one on the left at around 10 o'clock on the flywheel housing..  

Edited by Joey Mack
wrong info
  • Like 1

Good deal...  Easy free way to test them... You will have stored codes for the sensors.. make sure the wires on the truck side of the crank sensor are in good shape.. follow the wire about a foot or so from the plug..  they rot and break, and that may be the whole problem anyway...   jojo

2 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Good deal...  Easy free way to test them... You will have stored codes for the sensors.. make sure the wires on the truck side of the crank sensor are in good shape.. follow the wire about a foot or so from the plug..  they rot and break, and that may be the whole problem anyway...   jojo

Agreed, that’s what I was thinking when I mentioned the sensors. Maybe a break in one of the wires and maybe a bump in the road quick move it enough to cut out briefly?