I see that people useing "commercial" type trucks for personal use put "Not for hire" on them. Is this a legal requirement of some kind?. When I get my B done it will be plated as personal and used exclusively for pulling my Holliday trailer (or bobtail on occasion). Is it a legal requirement to have "not for hire" on it?. 

I used my FA hino to pull a ten ton gooseneck with two Minneapolis moline tractors from maine to CT, was stopped at the scale house . only thing inspector seemed to care about ( besides the two old farm tractors) was the "not for hire letters I put on . I was told a commercial vehicle not having -not for hire on it must have D O T number. state to state rules might change.  or country to country. I have seen antique trucks having in a nice pinstripe form the " not for hire " on the sides. for a few $$ nice looking -not for hire lettering is cheaper then the harassment from law 

I don't know about Canada but in the US from my understanding it actually means nothing. Its something people do to advertise a typically commercial type truck/combination is being used for personal use (not for commerce). If you have an antique plate and registration I don't think its necessary. If you have regular truck  plates and registration and are using the truck to haul weight (cargo) for your personal use I guess it would be wise to have it on your door. I think either way you can get stopped and checked though. You will have some more explaining to do though if you have it in lieu of DOT/MC numbers. Johnny Law could not believe that you are not engaged in commerce and then you would have to prove it I guess.  

DOT guy here told me "not for hire" did not automatically exempt truck from any regulations.  In many cases, that truck might be part of a commercial endeavor (like a farm, for instance) which could still require all the appropriate permits, numbers, and such.  It just was not available for hire.

My R had "Antique" plates on it, with an appropriate weight on them.

I saw others also add "recreational use only" on the door.

This can get complicated, and every state can be different.

One of the biggest questions they asked me when I was discussing this with the state guys was, "Is the vehicle engaged in the furtherance of a commercial endeavor?"  If it is, it is a commercial vehicle.  If not, it is not.  If, for instance, you haul a race car behind it, and you race the car for prize money, that is a commercial endeavor.  But, if you just drive the truck around, it is not.

Mine, again, was tagged as an antique vehicle.  It did not require a fuel tax number because it was not used commercially.  And, as an antique, it was exempt from annual inspections.

Again, your results may vary by state.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I agree with doubleclutchinweasel, it can get complicated. There is no requirement in CT to have that placarded on the truck anywhere, but i do have it on there. Mostly I do it to lesson the interest in what I'm doing. As a retired State Trooper, I saw lots of sketchy stuff on the highways and it always piqued my interest and may cause me to stop someone at least to inquire what they were up to. Vehicle condition is another red flag. Antique registrations, typically, let you bypass a lot of regulations/commercial requirements/CDL's. I have traveled far from home and never had any issues legal wise. I always stop at scale houses that are open and have always been waved through. If you do pass one thats open, you'll probably at least get chased down, because there is a fine for doing so. I have seen vehicles placarded as- NOT FOR HIRE, PRIVATE VEHICLE, RECREATIONAL USE ONLY, PRIVATE COACH, even though they have commercial, combination or passenger plates as that may be the only way to register it in that state.

My .02.   Not for Hire is no get of jail free card.  Though I do have it on my trailer.  I put "Historical Vehicle,  Non Commercial" on my bunk.  Don't tell them its a drag car(even though it's plastered all over the trailer)!  Lol.

I only stop at scales that say All Trucks.  Most Ohio scales have changed to "commercial trucks" and I roll on by.  Adjoining states vary and I follow the signs.  Been 22 yrs with no real issues.

I go by the thought of the truck is presentable and doesn't look like a scrap heap so I hope that it gets me a pass if comes the day.  Few times I've gotten the long wait for a green light but I figure it's just johnny law admiring it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The laws vary greatly from state to state, AND what mood the cop is in!! The South Carolina DPS Transport Police (Diesel Cop) officer that attended our ATHS Chapter meeting defined Commercial as "Neither the driver or the vehicle gets any compensation".. He went on to say ribbons and trophy's are not compensation, BUT if you move someones piece of equipment and they buy your breakfast or a case of beer that becomes compensation.. He did not say it, BUT implied that it helped if you own the equipment on the trailer, so fill out a dummy bill of sale.. 

With a big truck it is best to go across the scale and let them see your Antique / Historical plate. Better than being chased down!!!! And especially going to a show have  a show flyer with you.

Brocky

That's a lot like what the NC guys said.  But, for instance, if you enter a show and win ANYTHING OF VALUE, that constitutes "income" or "compensation" (in NC, anyway).

Keep in mind that an appropriate class of license (A, B, C) is still required, regardless of commercial/non-commercial status.  Most data plates on old Macks were not stamped with the GVWRs.  And, the sticker in the door jamb is usually gone by now.  The DMV guys said there was nothing to prevent you from stamping the plate with any GVWR you wanted.  Nobody would know who stamped it.  Shady area there.  But, a class B license would allow you to drive any single vehicle 26,001 or higher GVWR.  But, you don't necessarily need a commercial license.  If you have a 17K rear axle and a 9K front, you have a class C vehicle.

Read your state's regulations carefully, and do what they say!  You'll be fine.

The good word here is “compensation”. Sometimes, the less you say the better. I run into the same thing in some of the aviation circles I run in. Ramp fees, fuel, landing fees, if someone else pays for them it can put you in a whole lot different operating category, read FAA trouble. If you move anything it’s “yours” while it’s on your truck or trailer. Anything you receive can be construed as compensation, prize money, food, fuel, lodging. Just be careful and realistic with what you’re doing and you’ll be fine.

The other issue that no one likes to talk about is insurance. I’ll say this, make sure what you’re doing is going to be covered if the worse case scenario happens. If a law suit ever comes your way, you don’t want to be left holding the bag.

• Like 2

Even my Ohio historical registration shows a GVW and the creeper cop asked to see it 20 yrs ago when the one time I was red lighted and went in. I too thought it was removed when I changed the license over.  She also asked who owned everything.  I told her it was all mine.  I also showed my insurance and class A license.  She questioned the car in the trailer and politely asked to see it.  I graciously opened the door and she said "nice, thanks".  On my way I went.    Nothing was asked about compensation or the like even though the car is lettered and clearly a drag car.  Never got pulled around on that scale again in the 20 yrs I've gone by it.  But it was also marked "commercial trucks only" and I stopped going through.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

22 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Even my Ohio historical registration shows a GVW and the creeper cop asked to see it 20 yrs ago when the one time I was red lighted and went in. I too thought it was removed when I changed the license over.  She also asked who owned everything.  I told her it was all mine.  I also showed my insurance and class A license.  She questioned the car in the trailer and politely asked to see it.  I graciously opened the door and she said "nice, thanks".  On my way I went.    Nothing was asked about compensation or the like even though the car is lettered and clearly a drag car.  Never got pulled around on that scale again in the 20 yrs I've gone by it.  But it was also marked "commercial trucks only" and I stopped going through.

officer may have questioned the car inside to see if there was a car ; not illegal  items. are you still running drag cars? what type. like everything else the computer cars of today don't seem as much fun as the funny cars of the '60's.  they looked like cars not jets and 150 mph was better then300+ 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, davehummell said:

I have used my flatbed B model to haul round bales for my animals and I was told in Pa. it was legal even though I have antique tags on the truck. Just so long as it is my stuff that I have on the bed, and it isn't for resale.

That is one key item.  You can haul your own stuff.  But, if you haul someone else's, it could be interpreted as commercial.

I talked to one guy who won a court case for hauling a load of gravel for someone else.  While the gravel was on his truck, it was eventually ruled that it was his.  That was close!

• Like 1

WOW!!!  Bring up the subject of Farm Plates!!! There are as many variations of the rules of their use as there are STATES!!! South Carolina is a state with very liberal usage laws.. Vehicles with a manufacture's unladen weight of less than 7500 pounds farm plates can be used for "General and Ordinary purposes".. I have been to Fairbanks Alaska and back on the farm plates on my F-250 pick up.. BUT I have not trailered (32 ft gooseneck) my 1 ton Diamond T 201 pick up to any shows west of DeMoines Iowa for fear of the western Port of Entry's questioning the rule.

• Like 1

Brocky

I was going to Oklahoma a couple years ago to pick up some sprayer booms and got pulled over on the way down. I have a box of parts I was returning strapped to the deck of my 30' gooseneck. The first trooper (I assume that is what he was) came to the passenger door so I lowered the window. He started to grill on where I was going, what was in the box.  As his questions started to seem more "heated", the other Trooper walked up and said "Farm plates" and the first guy stopped in his tracks and said, "Have a nice day". I was like WTF just happened??. On a lighter note, I asked the trooper before he left what the rules were regarding scales once I was loaded and he said that I have to stop at the scales even when I was empty. I thanked him and he asked if I had any other questions. I said "yes, am I in Iowa or Missouri right now?". He looked at me and said "You are in Nebraska". I said "NEBRASKA???", hm, didn't even know I was supposed to go through Nebraska". He chuckled and asked if I had any MORE questions and I said "no, don't think so". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1