Trailer brakes

Brian L Blaylock

I have never converted one,  i guess you could install a gladhand,  and plumb it to a tank that you will install, there are brake valves that screw right into the center port on a generic air tank, that you can run park brake release lines from to maxi's that you will install in place of the single cans.  an R-12 valve in conjunction with a QR-1 valve is also an option, it can be mounted on the frame rail or cross member, and do the same job..  I have diagram's..  I will try to post one, but I may not have enough MB's to do it.. give me a few minutes... jojo

Not sure what valve you have there are several different ones but this one is attached to the tank with a 1/2 inch pipe the port on the left is the service brake and the one in the center is charging the tank when the air is disconnected it applies the brakes in an emergency 

IMG_20220905_114714328.jpg

• Like 1

The emergency, red, is connected to the tank with no valve to pressurize the tank

the service, blue, is connected to the valve that is mounted on the tank. 

thr brake chambers are connected to the valve on the tank

the valve on the tank serves as a relay since the service line does not produce enough air to operate the brakes by modern standards 

the maxi lines are connected directly to the tank

the port location on the valve varies based on the valve 

part number 10500 Sealco... Air is supplied through another port, that valve screws to the tank is is fed directly, there is a brass filter screen inside the supply port..  many trailers have this valve...   jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
more content needed
  • Like 1

So I  am trying to understand whats happened here

The glad hands have been removed ? Is this correct?

If so this is pretty simple, just hook the glad hands up either way it wont matter

If they are the wrong way around nothing will happen when you push the button to charge the brakes, the button will stay in

If they are the right way around you will hear air rushing back to fill the resevior on the trailer 

Many years ago I remember reading about a driver in the states that didn't know about this and the air lines were back to front

The end result was people died as there was no trailer brakes yet the truck still drove many hundreds if not thousands of miles before it all went wrong 

I cant recall if the glad hands were wrong or badly worn or what the go was but it ended up the hoses were the wrong way around

Apparently no tug test was ever performed at hook up 

Paul

So had a look at a trailer at my old (float) low loader last night and it doesn't have maxi's and it has this style valve

signal goes in the top hole you can see

Pretty sure this screws straight to the air tank

How ever the air supply tees off on the way past at the tank and goes in the lower of the two holesScreenshot-20220908-115337-Samsung-Inter

A better diagram hereScreenshot-20220908-124300-Chrome.jpg

These are the most common type that I have seen and used in Australia 

There is another type I have used as well 

Let me know if you need more or better information and I'll try and help

Paul

the old style trailer brake systems did NOT have maxi ( mechanical spring ) brakes . the single diaphragm can acted as a service brake and ALSO a parking brake. the magic was the valve it self. the valve screwed directly into the tank. brake application service side == air was directed through valve to brake cans. when disconnecting from trailer the brake valve closed an internal port and opened another sending air to the cans to hold brakes. imagine some little munchkin  in the valve holding his foot on the port to keep air pressure going to cans, when the system lost it's air, "parking brake " was no more; resulting in trailers rolling away when fifth wheel backed under and landing gear came off the ground. that was the reason for the ridiculous procedure of back up to the trailer  not touching the fifth wheel to trailer;; get out hook the hoses= charge the air system then  apply trailer parking brake == then back under. even after the maxi can spring brake can was mandatory ; D O T inspectors made you follow the rule of the '40's/50'swhen going for CDL test.  

• Like 1

if you are going to replumb this trailer with intent of running the road , law might say it must be done by todays standards meaning has to have spring brake parking brake. in that case clearance can be a situation requiring 24/24 cans . use to need two separate valves (R-8?R-6). modern technology must have a dual system valve set up; that can be effective yet simple for install. i wouldn't be concerned as to what it had but what will  you need that will be safe and up to standards.  good air tank, combo valve to screw directly in tank,  4 maxi cans or 2 maxi and 2 plain service cans . don't think anyone bothers with hose length vs hose size. should be 1/2 dia hose.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

be wear ! The selco valve that Joey posted there comes in two versions not sure which number joe has posted there how ever! One will release the brakes on push of the button while it fills the tank / IF IT FILLS THE TANK ! And the other requires the tank to fill before the brakes will release! the later is the best one to install otherwise your trailer can run about with no air in that tank and you would never know! Not a safe condition !

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, h67st said:

I worked at a shoe company in the 80's and we were still running trailers with no maxis. We had a few roll away from the dock because the spotter got lazy and didn't chock the wheels (air leak = no brakes).

In my mind there should be no trailers running around with out Spring brakes regardless of year! Same as tractors with spring brakes on only one axle which is still allowed by the way! You can always tell a cheap truck build if it was build with only one set of spring brakes it was a bottom of the line build! BARE MIN spec! 

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1