1970 Brockway

h67st

I figure the easiest way to repair it for a hobby truck is to pull the 5th wheel off and drop the axles and suspension completely out of the truck. Drill the ends of the cracks, and weld it up. Then lay a channel insert on the inside of each frame rail going past each suspension mount at least 2' and bolt it all back together. Any crossmembers in the area of the insert will have to be shortened accordingly. But in your situation where the truck has already been stretched it may be better to just cut off the bad section and start over. Either way its a pretty big job.....

• Like 1

IT is one of those "6 of one and a half dozen of the other" Questions.. Even as a hobby truck I think I would try to locate a reasonable priced cut off with air ride and graft it on....

• Like 2

Brocky

Someone already tried a repair on the bottom flange between the tandems.  Like said earlier, fairly common place for a problem on one of those. Truck has potential, definetely worth making some kind of repair to.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Working on trying to get the truck driveable; today's project is the rear brakes. Looks like new shoes are in order.

image.thumb.jpeg.ca6a72ae66e09c4ed121c3e913a1faca.jpeg

Also some past axle damage; bearing is sloppy on the spindle so I'll have to get that fixed at some point.

image.thumb.jpeg.656cc1ea7f6f70ec39ce4b79dd25ad76.jpeg

One inner bearing is stuck on the axle, I'll try an H bar to pull it off. If that doesn't work, is the heat wrench the next step? Any suggestions?

image.thumb.jpeg.21a4b25cf15cc2e2c2391912523798a5.jpeg

if two pry bars don't work then for me , it would be gloves/ goggles and 5 in die grinder with cut-off wheel. slice and dice the outer cage then gingerly cut inner . less heat and flame . couple slices on inner sometimes is enough to pry it off. have lucked out with a bearing remover tool wedged behind bearing and tighten; then the BFH for persuasion.

• Like 2

Pull the rollers and cage off the bearing

Axle stand underneath on the inner part of the bearing with some weight resting on it

Then out with the gas axe, nice and hot and heat small area the, say 3/4" till nice and orange

Then belt that with a mash hammer 

This will make the carrier swell and slip off pretty easy

Not a lot of heat, maybe 30 seconds or so, then just into it with the hammer

The idea is to heat just that bit of bearing not the axle at all

If you don't wanna try heat, just big, like 1 inch high tensile bolt as a punch 

With the axle supported you should be able to crack the bearing case, might take some belting though

And wear eye protection, been hardened steel it tends to splinter a bit and these move quick and fast and puncture skin pretty easy

Paul 

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas guys! I got lucky, started to put a bearing splitter on it and it popped right off. You're right about safety gear, whenever I use a hammer, grinder, cutter, etc. I cover everything up. There was a guy on here that got his arm torn up pretty good by a cutoff wheel...let me see if I can remember who that was...