Battle of Midway

mrsmackpaul

3 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Did you know that ?

Today marks the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Midway, which was fought from 4 – 7 June, 1942.

The battle of Midway was a decisive Allied naval victory and a major turning point in the Second World War. The battle was fought between Japanese and American carrier forces near the Midway Atoll, a territory of the United States in the central Pacific.

The Japanese combined fleet aimed to invade the atoll and lure the smaller US Pacific Fleet into a decisive battle. The Japanese believed that the destruction of the US fleet, just six months after their attack on Pearl Harbor, would be a final blow for the Americans, forcing them to sue for a negotiated peace with Japan.
Crucially, the US Pacific Fleet’s commander in chief, Admiral Chester Nimitz, had been warned of Japanese intentions through Ultra, the Allied code-breaking network. Putting his faith in Ultra decrypts, Nimitz placed two carrier groups in waiting to ambush the Japanese.

The Japanese were not aware of the American carriers’ presence off Midway until it was too late.

The battle would become a decisive American victory and a savage blow to Japanese naval power.

Learn more: https://www.awm.gov.au/wartime/59/coral-sea-midway-and-after

FB-IMG-1654299043230.jpg

A close view of the on the carrier USS Yorktown following a Japanese air attack during the battle of Midway. P02018.117

For  sure..I  think we sunk 4 carriers and lost Lexington and Yorktown???

4 hours ago, Red Horse said:

If click on the link above the photo it goes into a lot more detail

Might have to copy and paste it into Google 

The gist of it is not what you might expect

It didn't turn out exactly as I was led to believe immediately after the battle , however the end result however the end result was what I was taught 

I think it was all a bit touch and go but history is very clear

That and a few other major battles turned the tide with Japan and they could not stop us or even really slow the allies no matter how hard they tried

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks Paul for that there is a battleship in San Diego I have seen a couple of times I don’t know whether that was involved but it’s called the midway Frankly I still don’t trust them…. Bob 

21 hours ago, mowerman said:

Thanks Paul for that there is a battleship in San Diego I have seen a couple of times I don’t know whether that was involved but it’s called the midway Frankly I still don’t trust them…. Bob 

The USS Midway, currently a museum ship in San Diego, is an aircraft carrier.  The Midway was commissioned just days after WWII ended, named after the Battle of Midway.  Battleships were always named after States. 

aaaaah thanks for that my wife grew up in san diego we are down there quite a bit.....if i was rich i would definately be living there,,,,in fact every time we visit,i dont wanna come back here..lol...bob

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GA_Dave said:

The USS Midway, currently a museum ship in San Diego, is an aircraft carrier.  The Midway was commissioned just days after WWII ended, named after the Battle of Midway.  Battleships were always named after States. 

Uss Texas just got in for some repairs.i unfortunately missed the last weekend to see it before it Left..it's one of the last of the dreadnoughts..what a magnificent piece of equipment 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R.E.D said:

Uss Texas just got in for some repairs.i unfortunately missed the last weekend to see it before it Left..it's one of the last of the dreadnoughts..what a magnificent piece of equipment 

I toured the USS Texas back when I was at Fort Hood in the late '70's/early '80's.  An impressive ship.  It is unfortunate that they let it get into such a sad state of disrepair, but hopefully, that will be corrected and she will be back on display soon.  There are quite a few warships on display around the Country, mostly near coastal cities.  They are well worth your time to visit!

On 6/4/2022 at 12:06 PM, mowerman said:

80 years later their country is booming and ours is getting worse and worse… Bob

They're in just about the same boat as us with China taking all of their industry away and regulation taking the rest. After the bubble burst in the 1990s Japan has never really gone back to their former glory. 

• Like 1

A few years ago I read an analysis of the Japanese population, birth and death rates, the conclusion was that within the next 10 years the total population will decrease by about 20 million, unless the birth rate rises dramatically. This has not followed for various reasons, one example I saw young couples interviewed and they said it was to costly to have the baby and to raise it to 20 odd years, so they had no plans to have a child.

Plus Japan never had and never will in the foreseeable future have an immigration policy to allow people to go live in Japan, it has been a closed country and will remain closed to new migrants. Unlike USA, New Zealand, Canada and Australia, new migrants have been coming for 60 plus years and that boosts our economies. Good or bad, I am not qualified to comment.

On that basis an aging population, it is comparable to a dying country town or like Detroit City, people leaving and place becomes empty, take 20 million out of Japan, no need for new buildings and infrastructure, etc!!!! What will that do to the Japanese economy?

On 6/3/2022 at 10:38 PM, Red Horse said:

lexington and Yorktown  ;; so many lives lost. sadly little know . the Japanese used cargo ships to move American P O W's . 1500 Americans were in the bottom of the cargo ships when they were sunk in an attempt to what was thought to be food supplies going to support the Japanese. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

I should be noted that in 2020 the population of Japan was 125.8 million.

So this is roughly 1 in 6, and this will force a huge change 

Yes, the analysis I read forecast the population to be under 100M, based on current age of the population, births and deaths. And I read a similar article that forecast the China population to fall for same reasons as in Japan coupled with China's 1 child policy. Hence why the Chinese powers have changed and allow 2 children.

If this is all true we best start trying to find a way to survive and be viable with out population growth

It can be done but Australia is almost addicted to this way of keeping our economy afloat

Paul

On 6/3/2022 at 10:38 PM, Red Horse said:

"Lady Lex", the USS Lexington, was lost on May 8th, 1942 at the Battle of the Coral Sea.  The USS Yorktown was lost at Midway on June 7th.

According to the link provided above the Japanese only lost 1 light carrier the Shōhō and the carrier Shōkaku was badly damaged as well

Yorktown wasn't sunk either but also badly damaged 

Although the battle was a tactical victory for Japan  (according to the article above) it was a strategic defeat for Japan 

They had both their carriers mentioned above out of operation and their other carrier Zuikaku lost half it's planes 

Paul 

On 6/9/2022 at 1:22 PM, mechohaulic said:

NOW  that's asking a lot; this generation watch educational  TV. a TV is for connecting the remote control to for video games sadly. but then from  what i see they don't need the TV either. everyone seems to wear goggle type head sets . that's why there is a 75yr wait to learn the truth about things such as the JFK assassination . no one today cares about the Lincoln assassination  and few care about the truth of nov.22,'63 . WWII is very sadly falling by the wayside. stop and salute EVERY Veteran  and watch them smile and thank you. times are tough today $$$$ wise, buy a Veteran a lunch or coffee. 

This is sad but true. It saddened me that on the anniversary of D-Day more people on facebook thought that the song "Convoy" was the most significant thing to happen on June 6th. More people were posting about "the dark of moon on the 6th. of June in a kenworth hauling hogs...blah-blah-blah" than they were the invasion of Normandy.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

On 6/8/2022 at 11:29 AM, Red Horse said:

With this conversation about WW II, the thought crossed my mind, this generation today should watch the Victory at Sea episodes that are on You Tube.  They would learn a lot--in particular when they see  all the current news coverage of the "refugees" showing up at our southern border wearing their flip flops, designer jeans  and paying attention their cell phones.  Watching some of those old episodes they would see what REAL refugees were...and what they were fleeing from.

I would also recommend the series "secrets of war" narrated by Charles Heston.Great info.

• Like 1
  • Like 1