27 minutes ago, h67st said:

I bought a set of gold side dogs; I'm familiar with the ones that have a "dull" or "brushed" gold finish but these are very glossy, almost look gold-plated. Does anyone know what they used these for?

Been looking for a set like that, are there more available? I'll swap for a NOS pair of the brushed finish dogs I got.

I don't know the actual use for shiny ones but I want them for on a set of mirrors but if not available the brushed one will do. 

19 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

Been looking for a set like that, are there more available? I'll swap for a NOS pair of the brushed finish dogs I got.

I don't know the actual use for shiny ones but I want them for on a set of mirrors but if not available the brushed one will do. 

These are the only ones the guy had, he used to work at Macungie and had kept these around for many years. I'll ask him if he knows what they used them on.

If these are causing confusion or the risk of someone being mad, I'd take them off your hands for twice what you paid for them  (lol)   

I have no idea what they belong on, but SWEET find .   I wonder if they were special for some type of novelty item from back in that era ???

They look like something from one of those award plaques or something like that. ( like a quota buster for parts sales )  or when they used to make bulldog ash trays or one of those Mack novelty items.  But God they'd be great to put on a truck

• Like 2

Don't know how these things are at your side of the globe folks but in my neck of the woods there are shops which can apply Titanium nitride on steel or SS or many other metal parts. That way the parts get real gold look. You can get polished look if the parts were prepped correct (pre-polished) or smooth look if the surface was media blasted or so. The most common particular applications are teeth coating to make medical steel (which actually is SS) to look like gold or different cutting tools such as drill bits, bores, lathe cutters etc since TiN also has very high wear resistance. What is important point in what I typed (since I suppose plenty of members are familiar with that coating) is many shops overhere offer such coating for small lots of parts and quite affordable. 

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012