Mack engine counterbore cutting.

Joey Mack

I am trying to figure out the best way to sell counterbore cutting service.. I have been told to use facebook,  but i am not sure how to use it.  what are the options?  jojo

Also do you have machining spec books and information for just Mack engines or can you do Cat, Cummins, Volvo, Detroit? I mean if you got specs for N14, Series 60, D12, and 3406E/C15 engines you open up the doors to that much more work....

Edited by 67RModel
Typo

I just have Mack info and that cutter head. the tool I bought will bolt to cat and john deere engines, I just need the cutter heads..  I need to do more research on tooling, however, in my area there are a lot of macks... jojo

18 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I just have Mack info and that cutter head. the tool I bought will bolt to cat and john deere engines, I just need the cutter heads..  I need to do more research on tooling, however, in my area there are a lot of macks... jojo

Joe How do you advertise now  seems to be working? Build it they will come! the thing I worry about is getting stuck with parts bills ! labor only parts supplied by customer cash up front! unless your confident in there ability to pay!

Edited by fjh

I stopped advertising a while back because I have many customers, and they keep me steadily busy, and they tell others about me which helps too....... I think that going to local shops and fleets is the way to go...  I can start out with the Mack fleets then as I get more adapters and tools I can spread out..  I guess i'm like a Mack, slow and deliberate..  I am only 1 guy, and I get backed up quickly,  I have 3 customers that I need to visit as it is, plus 3 engines in my shop, and an F-250, and a CXU-613 outside, that i'm fixing the DPF in..  Phewww...  Thanks, 'F'  jojo

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fjh said:

Joe How do you advertise now  seems to be working? Build it they will come! the thing I worry about is getting stuck with parts bills ! labor only parts supplied by customer cash up front! unless your confident in there ability to pay!

Yea a machine shop have the luxury of holding onto the block until you come and pay for it. With a mobile service like this you are going to the place/person with the engine, doing your work, and leaving. Mail an invoice to them and hope you get paid. But like I said before most shops/garages assembling engines have to have a decent enough reputation to be doing engine work so you would think it wouldn't be a problem to get paid in most cases. May take a while. Net 30 used to be the "normal" payment terms now it seems to be Net 60. There is also Net 90. I have started seeing "paid when paid" as well.......

1 minute ago, Joey Mack said:

I stopped advertising a while back because I have many customers, and they keep me steadily busy, and they tell others about me which helps too....... I think that going to local shops and fleets is the way to go...  I can start out with the Mack fleets then as I get more adapters and tools I can spread out..  I guess i'm like a Mack, slow and deliberate..  I am only 1 guy, and I get backed up quickly,  I have 3 customers that I need to visit as it is, plus 3 engines in my shop, and an F-250, and a CXU-613 outside, that i'm fixing the DPF in..  Phewww...  Thanks, 'F'  jojo

More time working and less time on BMT.......😂

• Like 1

good points 67...  I have been lucky,  somehow im pretty clear about immediate payment, and they pay me..  I keep a 'Square' debit card swipy-thing with me at all times, and add 5% to cover usage fee's. and yes less time on BMT..  I still take some time in the morning, like right now.. I do need to get back out there... jojo

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

good points 67...  I have been lucky,  somehow im pretty clear about immediate payment, and they pay me..  I keep a 'Square' debit card swipy-thing with me at all times, and add 5% to cover usage fee's. and yes less time on BMT..  I still take some time in the morning, like right now.. I do need to get back out there... jojo

All work and no play makes joe a dull boy!😜

Also to add that if you do have a fb and people just search for it, it will come up on their search. You can do the cards and let people know but also get some kind of internet advertising. You could just put up a fb page for your business and list counter boring service. If that’s in there then it will come up when peoples search for it.  

51 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

You may be surprised at how many people/bussiness use Facebook, twitter, Instagram anymore. Bussines cards a thing of the past. I typed in mobile counter bore service and first thing that came up was this. 

https://m.facebook.com/Davezdieselrepairllc/?__tn__=C-R

People use something on their phones cause i get a laugh out of the guys at work and i am talking about guys with a shovel in one hand and their phone in the other hand.This is on road jobs but they are so short handed that i guess they can get too cranky with the help.Then you pass by the forman on the job and he is sitting in his pickup on the phone.

• Haha 1

glenn akers

Yup it’s all too common with that shit anymore. No wonder nothing gets done like it used to. I actually like it when I forget my phone or just don’t have service for days when I’m in the mountains. It takes time to get used to, typically only about 30 min for me haha. 

• Like 1

I have a flip  phone and it will receive messages and tell me the time and i can call someone and thats all i need till i get home and on my lap top.As old as i am i dont need something else to distract me from driving.I am at home this week or otherwise i would not be on the site.I can still remember just being able to aford a phone at home.Who knows what the future holds for us next.

• Like 1

glenn akers

I understand machine shop boring as a fortune if you can do it mobile You might have the only game in town especially after a few word of mouths don’t use Facebook either but that’s probably the way to go lots of people on it can’t hurt to try good luck partner… Bob

Thank's to all you guy's..  I really appreciate the mixed opinions..  I think I will look into FB, but I also have 100 post cards already printed up, so I will use some old timey selling, and open a phonebook and find companies that may need my services. now about price..  I was thinking $250.00 to show up and do 1 hole,  and $50.00 each hole after that...  any thought's? please be honest...  some of you have seen my service truck, and my operating range is 30 miles, and diesel is $5/gallon, here, so there is where my price comes from......jojo

I think, once word gets around, you may have all the work you want.  People will pay for convenience.  And, like Bob was saying, this could save them time and money by doing it on-site.  I'll be watching to see how it works out for you.

Facebook will attract some folks.  Local garages knowing about you will attract others.  You might consider having someone set you up an actual website, with minimal content and the contact information.  I search the internet first for anything I want.  But, when I find a company whose ONLY website is their Facebook page, I tend to move on.  But, that's just me.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Just now, doubleclutchinweasel said:

But, when I find a company whose ONLY website is their Facebook page, I tend to move on.  But, that's just me.

THIS^^^^^^. I cant take anything with regards to Facebook seriously. If your only presence is via FB then I don't need your services.

interesting view there, 67Rmodel...  one  opinion i didnt consider..  I would have only posted on FB, and stopped there, other than post cards and walk-in sales calls..  Thanks.. 

In this day and age, FB is what most use but it does seem a bit cheesey for us that grew up with more hands on approach of advertising a business.  Brick and mortar kind of thing.....but that is not how the world turns today.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"