Shop Talk

Onyx610

17 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Yes sir..  today's price for a target is $300.00.. 

Criminal  ! 

one 7018 welding rod  50 cents / one 6 inch by six inch   piece of  1/4 inch plexi maybe 3 dollars Plus  3 dollar  100% mark up ! Worth 6 bucks! In materials Bit of sweat equity for etching ! 50 dollars would be reasonable !    $300  Not so much! We should go into business making these we could clean up sell for 99.99 ! You could retire from building engines! Become a door to door piston squirter  aimer salesman! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, fjh said:

Criminal  ! 

one 7018 welding rod  50 cents / one 6 inch by six inch   piece of  1/4 inch plexi maybe 3 dollars Plus  3 dollar  100% mark up ! Worth 6 bucks! In materials Bit of sweat equity for etching ! 50 dollars would be reasonable !    $300  Not so much! We should go into business making these we could clean up sell for 99.99 ! You could retire from building engines! Become a door to door piston squirter  aimer salesman! 🤣

F, you're approaching it all wrong.  You guys need that Vince guy that used to sell the Sham Wow to be the salesman. 

• Haha 2

Speaking of piston cooling nozzles,  I didn't see any in the ENDT 673 that I have..  I even looked again yesterday..

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Speaking of piston cooling nozzles,  I didn't see any in the ENDT 673 that I have..  I even looked again yesterday..

Piston cooling probably started as they were thinking on adding more ponys to the build, morphing up to the 237- 285- 315 I know when they went to  350 they added steel webs between the main caps ! Just before they started using the 4 valve head! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

Just need to get this tension off my chest.  I just called my local Mack parts Dealer and asked for an offset cam key for an E-Tech..  The line went quiet, and then I hear,  uhhh we don't have anything like that here.  Then he says, we are a Mack dealer sir..  My blood pressure went up instantly..  I said,,,,,, AN E-TECH IS A MACK ENGINE...  Anyway,  I feel better now... Thanks, Jojo

go outside, and beat your head against a concrete block wall repeatedly for about 10 minutes. 
you will fell betterrer, i promise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

It was hard to speak and grind my teeth at the same time...  I called back and got my regular guy..  all good then, of course Mack is out of stock, and so is PAI...

Geoff,,  there was dead air on the phone.  What also got me was that he was sure they didnt sell that part, and didnt even ask a co-worker or the manager to help him help me..   No concern for serving the customer...   Young'ns have no clue how to ''serve'' folks..  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Geoff,,  there was dead air on the phone.  What also got me was that he was sure they didnt sell that part, and didnt even ask a co-worker or the manager to help him help me..   No concern for serving the customer...   Young'ns have no clue how to ''serve'' folks..  

amen bro absolutely no clue! No work ethic ! May have to make your own offset key 😂! Volvo Turds want the old stuff to die so they can sell more junk to people!

• Like 1

I dug through all my small Mack parts and only found 2 straight keys..  This is how they get us..  Make essential small parts obsolete.  I wish I had a crystal ball 10 + years ago..  I may have bought a few of them, as well as other smalls..  Mack's price is $85.00..   I saw a PAI version for $103.00..  None in stock..

I've made friends with a good small machine shop, He can make just about anything as long as it doesn't need a annealing oven to ether harden or anneal. His prices are too low for the work he does, and I always throw a few bucks extra when I pay him. Worth it to me.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I dug through all my small Mack parts and only found 2 straight keys..  This is how they get us..  Make essential small parts obsolete.  I wish I had a crystal ball 10 + years ago..  I may have bought a few of them, as well as other smalls..  Mack's price is $85.00..   I saw a PAI version for $103.00..  None in stock..

I used to squirrel away various parts in my tool box bottom drawer that our parts guys seemed to have a hard time getting saving them from rebuild kits ect,  Trunnion inner washers was a common save as not every job was worth using them! 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I have a Jabobs svc kit withe enough parts to rebuild 2 Jake heads.. 

Injector orings was another one I used to horde them when V8s were popular! We did head gaskets by the dozen for several years till they finally got a good handle on the gasket issue! 😁 I tend to pack rat stuff anyway, Might need that some day ! You know!🙄

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 5:51 PM, Joey Mack said:

This has nothing to do with your parts issue, but as for the crystal ball- I've said many times that if I knew then what I know now I'd have bought a bunch of the old metal flake gear shift knobs every week, they used to have a whole aisle of of them at every truck stop. Now they bring unbelievable prices on e-bay or wherever you can find one. If I had bought some back then and put them in the deep freezer I could retire.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

8 hours ago, fjh said:

I used to squirrel away various parts in my tool box bottom drawer that our parts guys seemed to have a hard time getting saving them from rebuild kits ect,  Trunnion inner washers was a common save as not every job was worth using them! 

I did that too, when I worked at a garage when I was just out of high school. I would save all sorts of small parts, like brake springs and adjusters when we replaced them with new pieces, all sorts of things that I thought I might use...someday.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

yep...   been there,,, still there,,,  :) my co-workers dont throw anything out until they ask me if I want it..  👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2024 at 6:58 PM, Joey Mack said:

Yep,,   for example this little $8,000.00 beauty..  I tuned it up and replaced worn parts. I have less than $300.00 in it and it works great..  

They were going to scrap it..   

KIMG2004.JPG

Isn’t it a shame how much people waste I’m the same way I hate seeing something that’s good thrown away I was at work one day and watched the parts man toss a brand new Alcoa hub pilot 24.5 polished rear wheel in the dumpster cause it was out of warranty I couldn’t get in the shop fast enough to get a ticket to take it home and fish it back out 

• Like 1

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly