1995 e7 427 blowby

Mack log truck

Curious what your guy thoughts are on this amount of blowby. 

1995 cl713 e7 427. It's a log truck so gets quite of loader time running around 1900rpm. Currently shows 21,100hrs. Has around 60psi oil pressure at startup idle, slightly under 20psi oil pressure at 170-180deg idle. Little bit of oil hase coming out of the tube. 

Thanks in advance 

I think its bit too much blowby, and the low oil pressure when warmed up.  20+ would make me feel better..  when was the last time the oil pump was re[laced, as well as rod and main bearings?  the blowby is usually worn rings, I have done rods and mains and an oil pump several times to help improve oil pressure..  Of course I didnt do cam bushings, due to cust. budget or request...  it does help.  I also check the welch plugs in the rocker arm shafts to make sure one is not leaking by or popped out..  ive made that repair a few times...  there will be more comments on the way..  one of us will help you... jojo

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I think its bit too much blowby, and the low oil pressure when warmed up.  20+ would make me feel better..  when was the last time the oil pump was re[laced, as well as rod and main bearings?  the blowby is usually worn rings, I have done rods and mains and an oil pump several times to help improve oil pressure..  Of course I didnt do cam bushings, due to cust. budget or request...  it does help.  I also check the welch plugs in the rocker arm shafts to make sure one is not leaking by or popped out..  ive made that repair a few times...  there will be more comments on the way..  one of us will help you... jojo

I have not touched the engine and i dont know the history. I bought it 6 years ago when it had 19,000hrs and have put about 2,000hrs and about 10,000 miles on it. It starts good, has a little blueish smoke when it's cold but doesn't blow smoke under load as far as I can tell while operating. If there is "upkeep engine maintenance" I can do or have a mechanic look into that aren't huge expences I'd like to pursue them.

1 minute ago, mechohaulic said:

what type of maintance are you doing to it  in terms of oil change intervals?  blow -by not an issue . possibly shorten the oil change interval  up grade oil type with hopes of raising oil pressure.

I do oil changes on my diesel engines every 250hrs. I shoot for 200-250hrs but usually ends up nearer to 250.

i would think you are a severe service application.  wouldnt 150 hrs be correct?  I need to look in my maint. and lube book..  I thought I was doing 150 on dump trucks when I ran a fleet.  about 4-5 /per year...  jojo

• Like 1

looking at the first picture, doesn't  seem to show the white milky color on the cable or spring assy that would  indicate coolant mixture . post also didn't say using coolant , as with many post, not being there to physically observe challenges. inside of vent tube should have milky film. i've seen brand new trucks with blow-by. not saying it's ok just lesser of the two evils.

the picture is not wide enough for me...  I think the oil on the spring is coming from the steering box and not the overboard breather..  I bet it runs fine, just needs more frequent maintenance,  if hes not going to roll rods and mains and a new oil pump...  jojo

• Like 2

Just now, Joey Mack said:

the picture is not wide enough for me...  I think the oil on the spring is coming from the steering box and not the overboard breather..  I bet it runs fine, just needs more frequent maintenance,  if hes not going to roll rods and mains and a new oil pump...  jojo

I'll do oil changes more often, 2/3 of the hrs are @ 1,900hrs while running the log loader but I have no problem changing oil. And yes the steering boxes leak. It leaks oil at the small tube between the two valve covers, I'd like to fix that, what exactly is that doing? 

3 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

i second the motion!!  motor oil dripping should have the "wet look". spring had the heavy gear oil (steering box) mix with road dirt etc. i would concentrate on the oil pressure. might be within spec. even oil gotten complicated. and $$$$$  . wifes car runs 0-20. who the hll ever heard of 0-20. higher vis oil might help the pressure on this unit with shorter intervals . nothing else shorter intervals might show improvement. no improve go back to 200 + hrs.

• Like 1

I agree,

Leave it alone. No knocks or clacking, oil pressure a bit low but nothing to worry about. Shorten the oil change interval with good quality oil and the truck will be fine. If the oil pressure drops below 15 then I would look into it. These engines are really reliable. 

V

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mack log truck said:

I'll do oil changes more often, 2/3 of the hrs are @ 1,900hrs while running the log loader but I have no problem changing oil. And yes the steering boxes leak. It leaks oil at the small tube between the two valve covers, I'd like to fix that, what exactly is that doing? 

If that fuel line between the heads is leaking I’m betting it starts a little hard after sitting a day or two..

1 hour ago, MACKS said:

If that fuel line between the heads is leaking I’m betting it starts a little hard after sitting a day or two..

If that's a fuel line it must not be leaking because it's oil that i see, so must be from the valve covers? It starts great no matter how long it sits or 5-10 degree Temps. It has always started great, little bit of blue haze out of the exhaust but doesn't smoke once it's warm or under load. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mack log truck said:

If that's a fuel line it must not be leaking because it's oil that i see, so must be from the valve covers? It starts great no matter how long it sits or 5-10 degree Temps. It has always started great, little bit of blue haze out of the exhaust but doesn't smoke once it's warm or under load. 

Back in 2008 I started a thread on here about low oil pressure on 96 e-7 350 I was look ing to buy,well I bought it and still running it,still has low oil pressure at ideal and still runs awesome,500,000 miles doesn’t burn a drop of oil,great engines..

• Like 1

Not to change topics but I was under the truck and noticed some coolant on the surface of the lower tank and dripping off. If I pull the radiator can just a  new lower tank be installed without getting to complicated? I can't tell for sure if it's coming from the gasket or coming through the metal but the lower tank is pretty rusty. 

6 hours ago, Mack log truck said:

Not to change topics but I was under the truck and noticed some coolant on the surface of the lower tank and dripping off. If I pull the radiator can just a  new lower tank be installed without getting to complicated? I can't tell for sure if it's coming from the gasket or coming through the metal but the lower tank is pretty rusty. 

If it's  metal  ,it could be repaired by a good radiator shop.. plastic style in my opinion need replacement.

Red

• Like 1