Yardo's Pix whenever I feel like posting some, February 2022 version.

1958 F.W.D.

On 2/23/2022 at 8:35 PM, 1958 F.W.D. said:

So a while back I posted pics of the beginning of our new firetruck, being built by HME/Ahrens Fox out in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Yes- Hendrickson who still builds crane and heavy application chassis but their main bread and butter these days is firetrucks. I meant to post pix of it as it went through construction but forgot to keep up I mean got really busy with work and family obligations. So here are a few selections for your approval. I mean, it would be nice if you approved but just in case you don't approve I will not lose sleep because I approve. 

First up is the chassis. The frame, all crossmembers and the torque box and outriggers for the aerial ladder are all galvanized. The engine is a Cummins X15 set at 600 with a Jake. (We spec'd a 565 but the offered a 600 at no cost so who were we to say no?) Transmission is an Allison Worldseries (I think an AVS4000) 6 speed. Rear suspension is a Raydan air-bag assist walking beam and Meritor axles and disc brakes all the way around. 

1595455029_Frame5.thumb.jpg.d955c242d275b26da858a6da5e83718d.jpg

Here is the rear suspension- the Raydan air bag walking beam and the disc brakes. 
178022526_RaydanSuspension.jpg.591431ab2ddfc83634fefa1d096e6f84.jpg

Here is Jessica.
1942181722_Jessica1.jpg.bfb4773002baec78df23556b97e62ee0.jpg

The body is bolted, modular stainless steel. Here is the right side. 
549022857_Bodyrightside07_23_2021.thumb.jpg.df500e8e7e15631b160a6351fe5dca74.jpg

ALL the pictures are fine.. can't post anymore "likes" so my approval is there. the use of disc brakes on such a large unit better in todays world ?? another example of changing technology  i'm guessing. did brakes on daughters car  couldn't believe the tiny little brake pads. 

• Like 1

disc breaks do not suffer fade like drums do, and do not require constant adjusting either..

since fire trucks do a lot of braking, i would imagine they would be better than drums for firetruck service. 

the tradeoff is the disc do  not last as long as drum brakes 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

i understand they hold better or work better cant really say its all in the foot pressure,,,if you ask me.. you have to be carefull washing your truck what i dont like you squirt water in the big holes in the bud rims and you get black brake soot running down the rim,real pain in the ass...bob

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tjc transport said:

interesting.

when ordering the two new trucks, we wanted to try disc brakes and dealer told us to stick with drum brakes because the disc did not hold up to heavy construction use.  

We do a mix of work, and have been specing disc brakes since 2015 on all of our new equipment.    

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Well Jessica told me that a wheel end repair including a hub, rotor, pads, misc costs, and labor an be over $2000.00 / wheel end..   Been there fixed that.... While a 3600 drum and a set of 4707 QP shoe's is under $300.00...  Jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
More content needed
  • Like 2

Mackey... too funny..... I am always scratching my head lately...  I have to bring the slacks and air fittings and air valves and so on with me every time, because they have no  clue what im looking for, and these parts were standard issue...  Good luck getting what you need... jojo

I know exactly what you are saying...  I do it almost every day... I go to Oriellys and tell the young'n how to look it up, even when I have the part number...   it's a sad time for us..   jojo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

this is one of many reasons i'm from the "grumpy generation" , i (we) know what our parents and grandparents had ;; not much. we see the next generations have so much (except common sense) just can't understand. If =when the electric grid is shut down this world is in a heap of trouble. 

• Like 2

going off topic a tad. short version;; yrs ago i go to truck dealer i once worked for. new kid in parts room. i'm looking for an  oil pump pick up tube gasket for a 6-71  i put together, i can make gaskets ; NOT that one, too important. kid says i don't have that gasket. i know that parts room  i been in it. ' i says = you don't have an engine kit in there( i know he did) . take out the gasket and replace it later" he says i can't do that its not in the computer system. i took the pick up tube and said you want this pipe around your neck. i was p--sed .  i got the gasket and paid for a number he had on the computer system. older manager had been there it would have been " take the gasket , i'll mark the kit  and call you when gasket comes in and you can pay.  so different times