Checking oil

ChesterChop

I started getting a noise out of the front differential.  I was told it was rebuilt not too long before I bought the truck.  I talked to the guy that owned it before me and he said there were two reservoirs above the check bolt on the sump(?)that I should have been checking. I  put around 20,000 miles on it in the last year and checked at the sump a couple times.  The oil level was where it should be.

Thank you.  It's a 1987 RW613 with a E9 400 and a Mack 12 speed transmission.  I bought it last winter and started running it full time in June.  It would bury the speedometer, when it was working lol. It could pull a little harder but has enough get up to keep me smiling.  I'm sure there's a lot I could go over on the engine to improve it but right now I'm just trying to keep it earning.  I  found what I think is a 1984 RWL722 sitting in a field. Same motor.  They parked it because of a broken frame.20211028_151508.thumb.jpg.957730b0065b3a3e8737755e89dfc674.jpgIt came with the factory dual stacks and I'm in the process of putting the driver side one on my 87.

Edited by ChesterChop
Grammatical
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

As with all things mechanical, parts can fail.  If you have a noise coming from the rear you could have a bearing failing. We had one go about 10 years ago.  Ate a few teeth off the ring gear so we dropped a pair of differentials that gave us about 10mph more speed. (Previous top speed was 48mph floored. You could slide into first gear from a stop with no clutch.)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

I have seen noise caused by mismatched tires on a mack rears.I always said dont let the tires be more than a 3/4 inche tall from smallest to largest and the peanuts will last for ever.This noise in most cases will be found as a knock at slow speeds.

Also if you have clunks and you have steel bud wheels pull those wheels and look for broken rims!

• Like 2