Mack Cruiseliner-What to look for?

Hello, first post here and I hope it's in the correct place(but I have read here for years).

I'm looking at a 77ish Mack Cruiseliner that has (and I quote) "A 300 and something Mack engine and either a 10 or a 13 speed". From the pictures it looks like a decent truck, aside from needing tires. It ran 5 years ago and the seller simply bought a newer truck.( Its currently on a farm and hopefully it'll end up on our farm).

About all I can find online was they were supposed to be a lower production, higher end Mack Cabover made out west, and the dash is the weak point.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for when I go and look at it? 

It's also priced ridiculously cheap...because they were looking for a crusher to get it. 

• Like 1

The set screws in the box on the shift tower would work loose and make the shift lever sloppy,windshields are super hard to find. The plastic dog house cover was notorious for cracking,if its a WL,check the aluminum frame rails for corrosion, especially where it meets the steel front frame section. Rivets in the front left panel commonly broke,make sure the cab hinges have grease zerks,ive seen those seize, im probably forgetting some other things. Any pics,info off vin tag 2ould help too

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike Harbison said:

The liked to break clutch pedal springs,too. Most of this is minor shit, if its cheap and runs,buy it.

So for $500 it's not something that will be an obsolete disaster?

WS712LST, is there a breakdown for that?

Edited by TheGleaner
Added model and model question
  • Like 1

sounds like a single axle ! is it a slim line or sleeper cab ? the other issues with these was the clutch cable mount the cable was mounted to the floor originally and broke the rivets loose from the body over time! There was a reinforcement bracket developed to repair this in later years!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fjh said:

sounds like a single axle ! is it a slim line or sleeper cab ? the other issues with these was the clutch cable mount the cable was mounted to the floor originally and broke the rivets loose from the body over time! There was a reinforcement bracket developed to repair this in later years!

It's a tandem tractor. Sleeper cab.

Would it be safe to assume it would be implemented by now?

11 hours ago, Mike Harbison said:

$500? You better grab it before he sobers up. WS712LST,steel,frame,ETAZ673A 300+ engine,315 hp. Factory twin screw tractor, thats all the info I can give you from that. There was no code for transmission,suspension, or rear ends used 

The seller had it listed as scrap...and I asked what was wrong and it came back as "nothing, we drove it there and parked it but who wants an old truck?"(well I do...)

From the pictures it almost looks like a Mack rear end bu I can't really tell.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/15/2021 at 4:48 AM, TheGleaner said:

Hello, first post here and I hope it's in the correct place(but I have read here for years).

I'm looking at a 77ish Mack Cruiseliner that has (and I quote) "A 300 and something Mack engine and either a 10 or a 13 speed". From the pictures it looks like a decent truck, aside from needing tires. It ran 5 years ago and the seller simply bought a newer truck.( Its currently on a farm and hopefully it'll end up on our farm).

About all I can find online was they were supposed to be a lower production, higher end Mack Cabover made out west, and the dash is the weak point.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for when I go and look at it? 

It's also priced ridiculously cheap...because they were looking for a crusher to get it. 

Hey there i just picked up a truck that matchs you description where was it loctaed by chance?

• Like 1