Removing injection pump.

I have an oil leak that appears to be from on of the side plates on the block behind the injection pump. The pump will need to be removed to get to it. What is the procedure for removing the pump and reinstalling it without messing up the timing?. Engine is a 1981 E6-350 2 valve. 

I believe that it should be master keyed so can only go in one way

Once this is done it will need to spill timed, this is a two person job and you really need to find someone who has done this, not been smart or rude or any other such thing but it needs to be right 

I doubt even most heavy diesel mechanics know how to do this properly 

However your local diesel injection place probably can supply the second person and they can talk you thru it to and help you get it right 

I have done it before but I am not confident enough to be giving instructions here

Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 67RModel said:

That looks like an American Bosch pump. Removal is very strait forward. Disconnect all linkages and lines then just unbolt it from the front cover / timing gears. There should be a support underneath pump that supports the back end of it. The two bolts a real bear to access. In my opinion that is the hardest part of the job...removing and reinstalling these support bolts. Once it is unbolted it just slides out of the timing gears and lifts out. A real back breaker. It is a lot harder when it is the engine is in the truck and you are leaning over a frame rail to get to everything. It can only be installed the correct way or 180 degrees from the correct way so as long as you dont move the truck (or rotate the engine in this case) while the pump is out you will not loose the timing. There is machined metal puck that couples the pump to the timing gears much like the rubber part of a lovejoy coupler. It will fall out when you take remove the pump so be ready to catch it. The gasket to reseal the pump to the engine is still readily available from the Mack parts counter for about $12. I will look in my records to see if I can find a part number.

I believe that pump is the splined drive similar to the compressor drive ! except it is doweled and the pump can only go on one way!  one spline is cut away to allow for the dowel to time the pump! ( NOTE if you haven't done this already !) While the pump is off Replace that coolant hose compressor to the water pump It is a PIA to do after the pump is on!

Just sayin!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 2

So, just to be sure, just remove the three bolts that bolt the pump to the cover, remove the rear support and pull it out? (after all lines and linkages etc are removed of course). Replacing the coolant hose while the pump is off is sound advice. I already did replace that coolant hose and yes it was a PITA. 

6 minutes ago, Licensed to kill said:

So, just to be sure, just remove the three bolts that bolt the pump to the cover, remove the rear support and pull it out?

Yes. When you pull the pump away that machined/keyed coupler will fall out. Once you see it you will understand. It only goes back together one way. Just don't spin the engine while the pump is off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you don’t move the engine while the pump is off it will go back on and the timing stays the same. You will see the adapter which prolly will fall out, the adapter has 4 square notches and one small dowel pin. This pin coincides with drilled holes in the pump and drive gear, can’t go back wrong.

BTW, nice looking engine.

Edited by Steve L
  • Like 2